Kicking tires

Username: Mike_boone

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1
I went from vintage B&W DM-17s to Totem Rainmakers and now I want to upgrade. In a small room, I listen to jazz, classical and soft pop. I'm considering Totem Signature Model 1, Totem Sttaf and B&W 805S.
I want speakers I'll enjoy for a REALLY long time (relatively speaking; I'm 60).
And I'll be thinking of an amp upgrade (from a vintage Scott A426) while I'm at it.
All advice gratefully appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2025
If you're looking to upgrade amps as well as speakers, Bryston/Totem make as fantastic combination, as does McIntosh/Bryston. I heard the Model-1's on an all McIntosh rig and it was just crazy good. Very neutral, clear and had me wondering where the subwoofer was hidden.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8784
I understand that the Naim/Sonus Faber combo has made quite a splash overseas, and with your listening preference it would be splendid indeed.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11481
Mike, while this doesn't fit your bill, you might want to lot here for pre loved stuff...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/114463-single_totem_model_1_signature_boo kshelf_speaker_mahoganny/

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3148
With the exception of the Sttaf, the speakers you mentioned are pretty hard to drive. The Sttaf isn't exactly easy either. All also require very clean amplification and a very good source.

I say these things because none of those speakers are worth the money if you don't have a very good (which will almost always mean expensive) system in front of them.

If you've got McIntosh or Bryston money to throw at them, then they'll all sound great. If you're throwing NAD or Rotel level stuff at them you should look into different speakers.

Mac and Bryston are very safe bets on the used market, as are other companies.

Art -
I've heard of a bunch of people using Naim and Sonus Faber together. I haven't heard the combo, but it just doesn't make sense to me from a synergy standpoint. Stranger things have happened. I didn't think an Apollo would sound right with a Mac 6900, but it sounded excellent.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8791
Frank has talked about this combo I believe. I'm a member and very infrequent poster over at the Naim forum and I've read great things about the synergy between these two.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2032
Stu, I've driven my Sttafs with a Rotel RB-1070 and I wasn't disappointed with the results.

I think the warmness of the Sttafs tamed the edgy Rotel a bit.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12379
Mike, audition some Martin Logan ESL panels. I use a pair of Odyssey mains by ML, on a Krell KSA-250 and they are some of the best I've found in a range I could afford. They may be right up your alley.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11497
The Totem model 1 (non sig) can be driven to happy listening without having to go loud as well, as opposed to the mani-2.

Not so sure about the load, but knowing Totem...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11498
Now add 500$ or so for the Target 4L stands...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3527
Mike,

I don't know the Scott receiver, but I do know the Rainmakers. Unless the Scott can deliver oodles of current (note, not power), it'll not be able to allow the Rainmakers to give their all.

It's been some time since I played with Model-1s, but my recollection is that they're a bit more difficult to drive than the Rainmakers. My personal view on your situation (as I'm sure you've surmised) is that the electronics are to be looked at before the speakers. You don't mention what CD player you're using. If this is a middle of the road model such as a lower end Marantz or NAD, then there is not enough quality coming from that signal for the Scott to drive through the speakers. there's the Scott too, which is unknown to me.

It all rather depends, but I suspect the best way to move forward is to look at better matching electronics.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 91
Speaking of Bryston and what they go with, there is some sort of link with these guys and PMC. Not sure if they have the same ownership or if they have merely worked together in the past, or simply just recommend the other's product, or something else - but a lot of people like the combination, and PMC has the Bryston logo on the bottom of their website.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2048
I think Bryston is the Canadian distributor for PMC. I could be wrong, though. Stu or Nick would know for sure.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2341
Im not a hundred percent sure David but I believe Bryston are not the North American distributor of PMC anymore. They were for quit a while though. Not sure what happened. Again, I could be wrong, but I remember James Tanner saying something like that? Stu?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3150
Bryston no longer distributes PMC in North America. Not sure about why. PMC distributed Bryston in Europe, but I'm not sure if they still do. I don't think they do. I think both companies decided to go a different route in distribution of their own gear.

Both companies still use each other's gear in voicing, hence the synergy. Its an excellent combo if you're into the studio/honest sound. PMC still uses Bryston amplification in their active speakers, except the active DB1 and TB1.

My criticism of PMC is that their entry level gear isn't priced very competitively. Their towers are a great value, but I think people can do better for the money where the DB1 and TB1 are concerned. Hence me buying my Audio Physics. They sound a little better to my ears, and cost a good deal less.

David,

The Rotel 1070 is capable of driving the Sttafs with satisfactory results IMO. I've heard the combo. Its a good combo, but not the best for someone looking for a long term system. I don't think the Sttafs are being pushed to their full potential with Rotel gear. I think a level of gear above it is a good long term solution. Maybe not even Bryston/Mac level. Arcam is a great match to Totem my ears. Bryston/Mac are simply better.

My main point was that if the OP was looking into the speakers listed and wanted a long term system, the NAD/Rotel level of amplification doesn't best fit the bill. If he can't afford better amplification, then he should reconsider his speaker choice. IMO, an Arro/Arcam integrated combo would sound better and be a longer lasting solution than Sttafs and Rotel. Just my opinion. Nothing worng with anyone disagreeing so long as they've heard the gear.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2049
Good point Stu. The Sttaf/Rotel combo was satisfactory. But you're right - the combo left me wanting a bit, which is why I swapped out the Rotel for my Brystons. The Arcam/Arro combo would indeed be nice.

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 171
Mike, I drive my Sttafs with a Rega Mira 3 and a Rega Apollo Cd player. Very nice combo with out breaking the bank. Cables are also a very important consideration. Make sure you listen to the speakers you like with the amp you will drive them with to make sure it's the right sound your after. Good luck and have fun.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2
After auditioning Totem Sttafs and $2,700 (Cdn) Dynaudios and Spendors, I've ordered B&W 805s. To drive them I'm getting a Classé CAP 151 amp, a demonstrator (from a reputable dealer) for $1,500. I'm going to spring for decent cables and I think I'll be happy.
Thanks to one and all for their suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 172
Mike, did you audition the 805s with the Classe? How did they compare to the others? What cables did you decide on? Nice purchase on the Classe amp by the way.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3540
And what's the source? Not much good without a source...

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 61
B&W and Classe sound great together, congrats on the combo. Seems like a good price on the amp also.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 3
Yeah, I'm pretty happy.
The source is a Cambridge Audio CD player and an old Scott tuner for FM stations I like.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us