Nad 3020 - noise on power up

Username: Spuddy

Post Number: 1
I've got a nice Nad 3020a amp which has served me well over may years. recently it has developed a strange trait when turning on the power causing aloud buzzing noise through the speakers. Whilst this is mildly irritating in itself I am more worried about causing some damage to my beloved LS35A speakers. Whats more it seems to be getting worse - anyone got any clues on what could be causing this and how I might fix it?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11475
Spud, the power caps are likely very dry and push along a very ugly voltage to the rest of the circuit.
I would not use it until the very nice little unit has been serviced.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13319

Most likely capacitors, either power supply or coupling variety. Take it to a repair shop and don't play it with any speaker you care to have intact until then. Or move on to a newer product with a warranty and better sound.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 598
Disconnect all sources and see if it does it. Potentially one of your IC could have a bad ground...trust me, it's happened to me.
If that doesn't work, go with the servicing.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2034
Take it from a guy that has fried some relatively expensive speakers. Have a tech look at it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11486
There are 8 million stories in the neked internet city...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11487
Of all the gin joints in all the places in the world, she had to walk into mine...

and blow up my speakers!!!!

Signed Rick
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us