Arcam rDock background hum

Bronze Member
Username: Lazoroski

Skopje, Macedonia Macedonia, T...

Post Number: 32
Dear all,

First my apology for posting this thread in the CD players category, but it seems that Cd players forum attracts more experienced people than the Mp3 forum.

Anyway, I borrowed and Arcam rDock from a friend to try it out in my setup. It does sound good however as soon as I plug it in a get unusually high background hum on the whole system (whatever source I choose). As I unplug it the hum goes away.

It sounds like an not grounded turntable.

Am I'm doing something wrong or is it the dock (in which case is pretty disappointing as it costs 200 EUR) ??

Thanks and brgds,
Zoran

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3146
Did/does the problem occur when in your friend's system? Any way to try it in his or another system?

The problem could be the dock itself, the power supply, or the interconnects. Try different RCAs and see what happens. If you have an identicle power supply, try that out. I assume that there's a way of figuring that out from the numbers on it, but I'm not sure. If you're unsure, don't try it.

I'm not very good with grounding issues and diagnosing them, but I'd try these things first.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3147
Also, it may be too close to your turntable cartridge or phono stage. Try moving it further away from those if at all possible. I'm not sure if the interconnects on the rDock are captive or removable.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3531
Zoran,

You're getting an earth loop which can be caused by any electrical items which are hooked up to each other.

Ensure your rDock is plugged into the same mains or on the same mains block as the rest of your system.

Bronze Member
Username: Lazoroski

Skopje, Macedonia Macedonia, T...

Post Number: 33
Thank you all !

I'm out of home these few days and I will try your suggestions when I get back.

BRgds,
Zoran
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us