Considering Marantz pm7200 Class A on a budget!

valeem
I'm considering building a seperate hi-fi system for another room and have included the Marantz PM7200 in my shortlist of amplifiers. Does anyone have any experience of this amplifier? I have already purchased a pair of Mission M71i's for this system and will most probably go with the NAD C521i or C521BEE cd player.

I read a review of the PM7200 in a well respected UK audio magazine and they praised it highly. They said that in its normal mode it can rival anything in its price class (£320 but can get it for £230) but in its Class A mode it could rival amps in the £1000 price class. Phew!

Hawk
valeem:

Please let us know what you find out. I am looking to upgrade the system I have in my study and a Marantz integrated amp is also on my short list that I would consider. However, I have not found any expert reviews, at all. Do you have a link to the review you read? If so, I would appreciate it if you could post it. Thanks.

valeem
Hawk:

Here is the link you requested:

http://www.marantz.com/hifi/europe/

I could not get a direct link so go to the products link and click on amplifiers. There is a bit of a review there but the link for the full review comes up for a DV8400?

I have the original copy of the July edition of What Hi-Fi? but do not have the use of a scanner at the moment otherwise I could scan and send to you. I could type the original text on the PM7200 from the group test and also their overall summary if you wish but may take a while as my keyboard skills are a bit weak? I think I would be infringeing the copyright laws if I did this on the forum so can email you?

The group test was made up of the following:

Arcam DiVA A65 Plus
Cambridge Audio A500
Marantz PM7200
NAD C350
Rega Brio
Rotel RA-01
TEAC Distiction A-1D

I do believe you own a NAD C521i cd player, what is your opinion of this? And you are also using Mission M71's but with which amplifier? Would a NAD C320BEE go well with my Missions. I am also considering Rotel's RA-01. Thanks.

marcus
Sir I must have read the same article.The best of both worlds...Marantz has a pleasing 2 channel sound in their receivers that resembles an "analog" sound versus many of the competitors.There's no substitute for 2 channel.....not as of yet.

valeem
marcus:

Have you ever come across a similar amplifier? After having done a bit of research I see that this is not there first Class A amp.

Hawk:

I've done some more research and found on another forum some actual owners of this unit. They however are less than impressed with the unit as they have stated that there's isn't that much difference between the amp in both modes, although in standard it was said to be excellent. However they didn't mention the rest of their setup. See the forum at www.hifichoice.co.uk to find some owners comments.

In the publication the system that they built as an example at the end of the test was made up of speakers and a cd player from the mid-price class. They said that in order to get the best from the amp you needed to use better quality components. They used Mission 780se's (£350) and a Creek CD50 (£699). If thats the case then I'm considering discarding this from my shortlist and choosing something a bit less unusual from Marantz. Do you still require the review?

Username: Valeem

Post Number: 5
I have just bought a NAD C521BEE cd player and am currently using it with a Marantz receiver and M71i speakers. Although I am impressed with the detail and general musicality of the NAD unit I have noticed on extended listening that the combination of receiver (amp section only using source direct feature) and cd player is not the cleanest nor sweetest of sounds.

When I compare the sound I get from movie watching or even tv broadcasts I find the sound to be more clean and clear especially the higher frequencies. I did not once hear the treble sound as sweet I was expecting from what is generally regarded as a outstanding budget player.

I don't think either the player or the receiver are to blame for this I just think that these two don't make for a great match. Anyone else find this to be true?

Oh well on we go! From the above list I know I can disregard the NAD amp as the combination of NAD and Mission will be too bright for my tastes. Ditto the Rotel and now scrub the Marantz (shame!).

Post Number: 6
Well I think I've found the problem with the lack of clarity using the cd player with my receiver. It seems that some of the recordings are not as good as others with some lower quality recordings sounding a touch harsh. This NAD cd player is very good at picking up the imperfections in cd's. Not a fault with the player or receiver but with some cd's. It seems that I can put the Marantz amp back on my list.

Post Number: 7
I just want to let you guys in the UK know about something I've recently come across. If you need some advice to steer you towards making a better choice concerning equipment you may want to check this out:

Suffering from booming bass or tinny treble? Need to know how to upgrade your kit?

Fear not: every Friday afternoon between 3.30 and 5.30, real live What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision reviewers will be on hand to give you hints to hi-fi heaven. Call our helpline on 020 8267 5900

Not tried it yet but will do so to help with my choice of amplifier. If anyone does try please let us know what you find out. Hope this is of some help to someone.

STONEY
Unregistered guest
I AM IN THE SEARCH OF A NEW RECEIVER. AFTER SCROLLING THRU THIS WEB SITE OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS I FIND THAT MARANTZ AND NAD ARE THE MOST FAVORED. I AM RUNNING A SET OF PARADIGM 3SE'S AND AM LOOKING FOR A RECEIVER AND SOME ADDITIONAL SPEAKERS TO COMPLIMENT THEM. PARADIGM SUGGESTED A SET OF MONITOR 3 AND A CC170 CENTER.
I HAVE ALSO LOOKED AT A SET OF POLK RTi4. ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED. TO HAWK...HOW ABOUT IT?

Post Number: 9
Stoney, from what I've read on this forum on Paradigm speakers I think a NAD receiver would suit your needs better than one from Marantz. Quite a few times I've seen Paradigm owners ask as to which receiver to match with their speakers and the overwhelming verdict has been NAD and not Marantz.

Regarding your speakers, it is important to match all the front channels with the same brand of speaker (at around the same model level) as it will give a more coherent, better balanced sound. By that I mean your front line of speakers will have similar treble, mid and bass characteristics.

As far as your rear speakers are concerned, it is not as important to match them with speakers from the same manufacturer, although it helps a little, as these are used mainly for special/surround effects which are not as prevelant in the overall sound you hear when watching movies.

Hope this helps?

STONEY
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply. I also saw those threads and I'll listen to both models later this week.
I have to travel to two different dealers but that's ok. I did see a review at "whatvideotv.com"
where the NAD t742 did not fare well in regards to movies but great in sound. The Marantz sr5300 shined both in music and movies. It's all in ones taste. Later.......

Stoney
Unregistered guest
well, I've had a day of shopping for ny system and I am done. I didn't even make it to the NAD dealer in town. After hearing the Marantz SR5400 on Paradigm and Bowers-Wilkins speakers I knew what to do. This Marantz is awesome. I think I'm going to stick to my Paradigm system. I took a buddy and his girlfriend with me and I think he's going to get a B-W system. The 5400 played beautifully either way. I'm going to go with a set of Monitor 3's and a cc370 up front and my 3 SE's in back. Gonna sound great. I'll tell you about it later. Gotta go order my stuff.

Post Number: 29
Congratulations!

I must admit I'm a bit of a Marantz receiver fan myself. I have the SR4300 and am very pleased with it, especially for movie use. I have heard the SR5400 and was impressed with the extra detail level it has over my own unit. I think overall its a very hard unit to beat for the money.

Also when the soundtrack in movies starts playing a tune the Marantz unit is one of only a few, at the price level, that sound truly musical. I think you have a great all rounder there.

On another note, if your buddy is also getting a full system I would advise you to share the cost of an SPL meter, if you don't already possess one. I believe it to be an essential tool in helping you get the most from your system.

Stoney
Unregistered guest
Hi all...I've had my new stuff for a few days now and I'll tell you that Marantz and Paradigm match up great. I finally selected a set of Monitor 7 for the front with the cc370. I'm using my 3se's in back. I had to tweak the back just a few db because refinements of the components but for the most part my old ones hold their own pretty good. The only negative I have for the equipment is the remote for the sr5400. Why Marantz doesn't just use LCD remotes for all A/V receivers is crazy. Keeping track of what component you're switching gets wicked sometimes. I love the receiver itself though. And for the price I got it for I can live thru the remote. Bottom line.....Marantz + Paradigm =
ENTERTAINMENT !!!!!!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us