Good speakers at low volume?

Username: Tyreal

Post Number: 1
Situation: I'm trying to build a good surround home theater system for movies and I am in need of some good speakers. I desire great hi fi quality sound but I have relatively good hearing so I don't listen to movies loud.

Since I'm relatively new to the audio world, most speakers have sounded good in the store show rooms, which is why I am having issues on what to buy (current fav's are the paradigm monitor 7s).

Limitations:
* 16 x 11 basement room (carpet on top of cement)
* Town house with neighbors on one side of the room (which I know deep base will go through -- have had issues with them in the past, but mid/treb doesn't seem to go through)
* Price range 1,000-1,500 -- was thinking of starting with just center and L/R towers, then buying better surrounds in the far future.

Current Amp: Sony STR-DA3400ES 7.1 (100 watts per channel) -- I might be returning this and getting something else -- probably an equivalent Onkyo.

Questions:

1) Are there specific speakers/manufacturers that will work well with my Sony receiver (or Onkyo)?
2) Will tower speakers for my front L/R be too much for my small room? The reason I ask this is because most manufacturers recommend bookshelf speaker systems for "small rooms"
3) Will those bass traps allow me to have deep bass in my basement and not annoy my neighbors?
4) Since my HD cable box movies are 5.1 and a lot of the true HD blu-rays are 5.1, can I use older speakers for rear left/right and it wouldn't ruin the sound? Or should I try to get the full 7.1?

Thanks,

Username: Haffiz_abdul

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 1
Wow, you probably don't even need that much money, if you check out my website, www.ezelectronixshop.com, i cary tons of surround sound equipment for much less thatn that especially if you don't want too muc base. Check in the home theater area.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11422
F u c k , now you know why every Canadian outside of Toronto f u k c i n g hates Toronto.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11423
Tim, maybe you look into an advertiser here, Orb audio. They have some pretty cool stuff.
I only heard it at a show once, and the setup was small, and it seemed to work ok.
Dont know how it was powered as a 5.1

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2290
LOL yup I hate Toronto.lol.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 866
I would return the sony for sure, and stick with 2 channels - you will get far better quality this way.

Believe me, your ears will thank you.

Check out reviews here by the pros :

http://whathifi.com/BestBuys/

When you are ready to buy, you might want to consider buying them used at www.audiogon.com

This way, you will end up with more quality for the buck.

You are in for a treat, if you do go this rout.

You are in for a heart warming experience.

And I think movies sound good too on superior 2 channel system.

Cheers,

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11467
I have had adequate performance from 2ch and movies.
The caveat is speaker placement.
Moving the speakers closer together and toeing in a bit creates a fair phantom center channel.
But then the speakers are moved back to other marks for music listening, opening up the field for imaging and stage.
If the speakers arent too heavy or precariously balance on points etc. you might get by with the same routine.

Bronze Member
Username: Barry_nj

GSP Exit 165, New Jersey

Post Number: 17
I had a center channel years ago, but have been running 4.0 for some time and never miss the center. My speakers image very well though, so voices are centered.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us