Need Help w/ Kenwood KM205 Amp

Username: Snoopster

Post Number: 1
I understand with this amp Kenwood KM205 I should be able to power two set of speakers,through the speakerA/B switch. I can only run 1 set at a time,I have to run speaker switch (A)on an (B)switch off or (B)switch on and (A)off. If I turn both (a)&(B)on I get no sound from either set of speakers,even though the amp shows I'm still getting a signal. Thanks For Help!

Username: Jordon32990

Post Number: 2
You could try checking the internal fuses located by the power wire on the inside of the amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11878
It is likely that the Kenwood is going into protection due to the load of the speakers.
Check the rear panel or manual, the text likely advises speakers at 8-16ohms for A+B operation.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13422

You can power two sets of speakers - just not two sets of speakers at the same time. Is that not what the owner's manual says you can do? I don't know, you tell me what the owner's manual says and I'll tell you if you have a problem.

This might seems like parsing words to you but most modern mass market amplifiers have a difficult time driving two pairs of speakers. This could be Kenwood's answer to that problem. If your amp is set up to only allow one set of speakers at a time, then you would need an outboard speaker switching box to allow for more than one pair. Such a device should include a protection device - a load resistor - which maintains a higher impedance load on the amplifier when more than one pair of speakers are switched in line.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 709
That is so funny. I would never have thought someone other than myself would have one of these still kicking around.
I have the exact same power amp with the matching pre-amp. Mechanically, my KM-205 still works perfectly and yes, I can confirm that I can in fact hook up two sets of speakers (one to the A spring clips and one set to the B spring clips) and when I push in both the A and B switch buttons on the front, all 4 speakers output sound.
That said, I've only used nominal 8ohm speakers on all channels, when doing this.
You've said you still get signal but no sound, so does that mean you still see the red led power meters moving but no sounds out of the speakers?
I don't believe the manual is going to tell you anything about fuses and I know from experience that this amp does not have any electronic protection, so it can be that. I've had it running until it began to smoke and it still works fine, rather robust power amp.
Unless you really know what you're doing in an amplifier, if you want to make a repair, I may suggest finding a reasonable repair shop.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11883
Attaboy George.

Post Number: 2
Yeah,George your right, just the red led's move,but no sound when both A&B switches are pushed in. Anymore advice would be helpful

Post Number: 3
I still have the manual and it was of no help of any kind,does not mention any fuses what so ever.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 725
Sal, like I said, unless you know what you're doing you don't want to start poking around inside, unless it's been unplugged for a good while, say a week and you're willing to do more damage than good. My thoughts are find a local repair shop that will give you a quote on a fixed price that you can put towards the repair, if you choose to fix it.
If you're really determined, like I said, let it sit for at least a week unplugged, get the cover off and trace through the power path looking for any replaceable fuses. If you can find a fuse you can possibly check it or find a replacement. From my experience though, I don't know if they used fuses and something may just have burnt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us