Speaker Input?

Username: Quentin2

Post Number: 8
Hello everyone, I just recently bought a budget pair of speakers at a goodwill store and have a question. These speakers say: input 8 ohms, 40W max. Thus, am I only able to use an amplifier that output 40W or less to drive these speakers so any component won't blow? For example I took a look at this NAD C325BEE amp
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amp lifier/specs
and saw the spec: 50W input into 8 ohms, would this amp not work or cause a problem with these speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12224
well, in short, 50WPC would be fine.

Long ansewer is this: 40W RMS is a misnomer. What they really mean is 40 watts continuous, which is a thermal rating for the coils in the drivers. More continuous power than that causes enough heat in the coils to cause damage. However, you want to keep in mind that an amp rated to put out 50WRMS per channel means 50 watts continuously, to a non reactive dummy load across 20-20KHz. In reality you will be using a reactive load (speakers) with a dynamic source (music) which means the power and the load will fluctuate constantly, and you will rarely if ever actually hit 50 watts of output from that amp. In addition to this, consider volume levels. 50WPC means at full fulome or output. every time you audibly double the volume, you increase power output by tenfold. Thus at half volume, you're actually putting out about 5WPS to the speakers. a quarter of full volume drops that to a hundredth of the full power. In short, again, you'll really only be using a small fraction of the amplifier's capable power, so yes 50WPC is fine for 40 watt speakers as long as you use them wisely and if you hear distortion etc, turn the volume down. Don't abuse the setup and it'll work just great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us