Need Help! looking for a new receiver

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Santa Maria, California United States

Post Number: 522
I'm looking for a new receiver to replace my current Onkyo Tx-DS787, which is about 9 years outdated, it's a great receiver, but I'm want Pro Logic IIx, HDMI inputs, etc. I was looking at this Onkyo
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR806&class=Receiver&p=i

but want to know if there is anyone on here that has it, and what they think of it.

Iwas also looking at http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR876&class=Receiver&p=i

but this one is kind of out of the price range. or is there another good one that you know of in the $1,000 price range, that might be better or just as good? Thanks. -Mike

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 198
what is your price range? can you go listen to these models?

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
oops, sorry completely missed the last part of your post. you should check out Harman/Kardon. I have heard those onkyo models and i personally like the 876, I have also heard the newest harman/kardon models to and think in that price range they would be worth looking into. oh and before I forget, what speakers are you using?

Silver Member

Post Number: 526
thanks, im using the JBL Pro Studio's. nothing fancy

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3476
In theory there is almost no difference between the 806 and the 876. The 876 is really meant for high quality display installations. The 876 uses the very high spec Reon-VX board (unheard of at this price actually) and you also get the ability to have an ISF engineer calibrate its output which sets up the display picture specifically for your room. If you have plans of upgrading to projection using a decent projector such as the Panasonic PT-AE3000 or the JVC DLA-HD350, then the 876 should be your target since the differences are appreciable on a 7ft screen. If you plan to stick with smaller flat panel solutions such as plasma screens and the like, then the benefit of the 876 is limited.

I should point out that ISF calibration costs money (callout is £300 a day here and ISF calibration takes most of a day as far as I know), but it is the absolute best picture you can achieve since it is the same calibration technique used in the cinemas.

Bronze Member
Username: Onecall

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 25
Hey Mike,

Frank is right, there differences are minor depending on what you're looking for.

If you are interested in the TX-SR806 receiver at a great price you might want to check this post.

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=516656&post=1676466#POST16764 66

Matt @ OneCall

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
Thank you! so i might as well go with the 806,since I don't plan on getting a projection tv anytime in the near future... but that is really....high tech. it's a really nice feature, but as you said it's not something I can use, since i have an LCD.

Hey Matt, I didn't see the 806 on there. unless i'm going blind..wouldn't doubt it. haha

all I saw was the 606

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 33
Having and LCD TV doesn't necessarily mean you can't use the advanced video features of the 876. I think what Frank was saying (if I'm correct) is that the calibration benefits are more noticeable and appreciable on a larger scale or screen.

If you want to save a few dollars the Open Box is still covered under the Original 2 year Onkyo warranty.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductSearch.aspx?N=0&Dn=0&Ntt=tx+sr806&D=tx+sr806&BCPID =200

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12210
I just chose the NR906 myself, which is just the 876 with a couple added features.
Get the 876. It can be had online for just under $1000, so it should fir your budget, and the 876 has received editor's choice awards from sites such as CNET.
It's a great receiver.

A;lso, amusingly, I also upgraded to the 906 from my former DS797.
Oddly I seem to have upgraded from, and to the receivers one step above what you had/are looking at.

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
are the amps the same in the 806 and the 876? I know the 876 has a bigger transformer, because when I heard them side by side with the same speakers, the 876 had a warm touch to it and the 806 was a little heavier on the highs section.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12220
If you mean the 876 vs 906, then no. the 906 uses a larger toroidal transformer, to my understanding.

this is the 906 inside

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13273

I'm impressed by someone who carries pictures in their wallet of their receiver stripped to the waist.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 535
I believe the 876 weighs in more than the 806 due to the 876 having a larger power supply. This was not the case with the 805 vs. 875, where both had the same power supply and weighed the same. Onkyo caught on and changed this in the new model because the 805 was price much too low for what you got. Thankfully, I own an 805 and am very happy with it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
I hear that George, I wish I could have jumped on the 805 when it was around, but im pretty happy with my H/K

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 607
I am happy with my HK too shawnboy,at least till I get my seperates. Impressive build for a receiver GlassWolf. Onkyo definately seems to be getting their s**t together and good eve to all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
what kind of separates are you looking at Eric?

and Excursion, if you havent made a purchase yet check out this really good deal for the 876, and its an authorized dealer.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR876BLK/Onkyo/TX-SR876-7 .1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-BLACK/1.html

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12223
I've dealt with A4L before. Got a number of interconnects from them. Good folks.

the 876 is outstanding and I believe got an editors choice award from Cnet, as they said the upgrade to the 906 wasn't worth the cost to them... granted they meant retail difference of $500, whereas online shopping it can be considerably closer in price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
Thank you all for your help, i was originally at a dilemma between the 806 and the 876, but then had decided on the 876, and now that the 906 has been mentioned, I'm kind of leaning towards that one. haha. if i can find it for cheap enough I'll go for that one, if not then I'll go for the 876, the thing that cought my eye on the 906 was the HD video up scaling, which I didn't notice on the 876. either one is amazing, but i cought myself drooling over the 906

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12229
the 876 and 906 are identical I believe, aside from the 906 offering internet media streaming, which you could add via a stand-alone unit similar to a tuner, which many say is a superior solution anyway. If you can snag that open box 876 I'd do it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 540
it seemed like the 906 had two different types of up scaling whereas the 876 only had one....unless i read it wrong, although 876 is definitely cheaper

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 37
"it seemed like the 906 had two different types of up scaling whereas the 876 only had one....unless i read it wrong, although 876 is definitely cheaper"

To my knowledge the video processing in the 876 and 906 receivers are the same. In regards to the video upscaling you'll want to keep in mind that most of the receivers available; including these two, will only upscale analog sources. That means the video processing won't do anything to any HDMI video sources you connect.

Hopefully this will help,
When you step up from the 806 to the 876 you add a little more power output, the upgraded Reon HQV video processing, Burr Brown Audio DACs, a higher instantaneous current capability, built-in HD-Radio tuner and VLSC.
The 10 watts extra power output would typically not make a noticeable difference, however the Burr Brown DACs will typically make a noticeable difference in the audio quality. The higher current capability will contribute to cleaner, more detailed sound, and a "warmer" tone even at lower volume levels.
You can read more on the VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping circuitry) here. http://www.onkyousa.com/popup.cfm?id=VLSC

When you step up from the 876 to the 906 you add 5w more power, toroidal power transformer and the Ethernet connection for audio streaming.

There may be other more technical differences that I'm not aware of but unless you're interested in streaming music the 876 would typically make the most sense.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Matt @ OneCall

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
The 906 also has higher quality components (gold plated) vs. nickel, such as the RCA jacks and speaker posts. The toroidal transformer is the biggest plus on the 906 vs. the 806 but is something worth considering, if you have the cash on hand.
Interesting enough the 805 had the Burr Brown DAC, where as the new 806 doesn't. Again, the 805 and 875 were much closer than the 806 vs the 876. Personally, if I was looking at the new models, the 876 is the value leader in the family, right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
OH, and one more thing. The 906 has three power supplies as opposed to the one in the 876, as you can see in the picture. The toroidal is used exclusively for the output stage, driving the amplifiers, the other two much smaller power supplier are for the video processing and other features. The separation of these power supplies should in theory offer cleaner sound and less noise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
Thank you Matt and george, that was very helpful, the smart choice would be the 876. thank you all for your help...

just one more question,does the gold platted connection really make a noticeable, or big enough difference, as compared to the nickle plated ones?

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12233
Matt, I thought the Onkyo culd upscale a DVD (480P) to 1080P. Oh well. The Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-Ray player can, so it shouldn't really matter.
Signal will be 1080P before it gets to the Onkyo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
i thought so to...i thought the 906 mentioned up scaling HDMI and component, whereas the 876 only up scaled component... i might be completely wrong this....but that was what i got out of it

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
Gold vs. nickel is sometime a personal preference but it's also the quality of conductive parts used within the amplifier. I believe that overall the 906 sounds cleaner and is more in the audiophile league than the 876 but audiophiles are willing to pay lots of money for very marginal difference. To the average listener, the 906 and 876 should be hard to pick out in a blind listening comparison...but there will be a difference. You could try to audition them at a dealer but that may be hard.

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
it is hard, i dont usually see Onkyo's at stores

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
Unless you're looking to go to a upper midrange speaker set, stick with the 876 and save your money for some better speakers or invest in your cables. That just my thought.
To add another angle, if you're going to spend that money on a 906 you may need to look at Integra, which is Onkyo's high-end brand. Essentially these are similar AVR's with upgraded parts, balanced XLR outputs and the like but dealers and deals for that matter on these are few are far to come by.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11404
If you are looking at one balanced componant, then you open the system up to more balanced stuff.
Watch that foist step Doc , it's a Looloo!

Bugs Bunny

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 40
"Matt, I thought the Onkyo culd upscale a DVD (480P) to 1080P. Oh well. The Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-Ray player can, so it shouldn't really matter.
Signal will be 1080P before it gets to the Onkyo."

Unfortunately Onkyo does not specifically state in their manual that the 876 or 906 (which share a manual by the way) will scale the HDMI sources. i.e. scale an HDMI 1080i signal to a 1080p output signal. Both receivers will scale composite and S-Video signals to up to a 1080p HDMI output, or "transcode" the composite and S-video signals to output through component video output. Of course I could be wrong, at least it would be a pleasant surprise if it does scale the HDMI input signals.

Keep in mind that with most A/V receivers the video upconversion is really more of a "Convenience Feature" that will allow you to display all of your video sources through a single output to your TV.

Typically with most HD sources they are already outputting an HD signal that you really don't want to subject to additional processing. Especially since your Samsung TV will already process anything less than a 1080p signal to display at the 1920 x 1080 resolution.

"Gold vs. nickel is sometime a personal preference but it's also the quality of conductive parts used within the amplifier."

I agree with George, I don't think most people would hear a difference between receivers with and without gold plated connections. Gold is actually not one of the best conductors for A/V signals. The main reason for gold plated cables & connections as I understand it is to reduce corrosion at the connection point. As I was told once, "the connection is not solid gold, only gold plated." What's beneath the gold plating will affect the signal transmission also, that's why simply having gold plated connections does not make a cable high quality.

Matt @ OneCall

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 41
Before you consider pulling the trigger on your purchase I recommend checking Onkyo's Dealer and Service locator. That way you can make sure you're purchasing from and Authorized Onkyo retailer and you know you'll have warranty support in the off chance that you need it.
http://www.onkyousa.com/locator.cfm
You can also view a list of their Authorized Internet Dealers.
http://www.onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm

Matt @ OneCall

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11405
Matt, thanks for bringing your recources and knowledge to the forum, work or not.
You add a lot to the receivers forum.

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 42
Thank you Nuck.

It's not just for work, although I don't consider myself to be an Audiophile or Videophile I do enjoy music and home theater. After all my years of selling A/V gear I would still rather make sure anyone has not just the information to make an informed decision, but at least a basic understanding of the technology involved as well.

I'm sure there's a lot I will learn through the forum as well.

Matt @ OneCall

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8609
Although it would be nice to leave the plugs for onecall out if it. Just my opinion and not shared by many I'm sure.

Welcome Matt.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12236
George brings up a good point on what speakers you plan to run on the Onkyo as well.
I forgot to mention that part of why I chose the 906 was to bi-amp my KEF reference 104/2 and Martin Logan Odyssey mains. I consider them to be upper mid level speakers. Not in the five or six figure range, but still not your typical crutchfield or CC fare.

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
at the moment im just running your average Best Buy JBL Pro Studio series....nothing fancy...im going to upgrade eventually...i don't know to what..but I do like the way the PSB's sound...but they are kind of pricey

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1724
IMO Gold plated connectors are superior to nickel. If your gear has gold plated female RCA inputs and you match it up with ICs with gold tips (see Eichmann Bullets for example) you should get nuances not found in nickel. From what I have learned Gold is a better conduit overall than Silver. YMMV.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12275
the real advantage to gold is that it's a noble metal, so it never tarnishes or corrodes. The other plus is it's hardness factor. It's very malleable so it makes a good contact surface when there's a tight fit, "mushing" to the other surface better than that of another, harder metal. Yes, gold is also a good conductor as well.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3487
Hmm, been doing some investigation and it certainly seems that Matt is correct regarding the HDMI signals not being upscaled in the AV receiver(s). It certainly seems that the only upscaling that occurs is of the analogue sources (composite, s-video, component). HDMI inputs are simply passed through.

In the old days, the 875 and 805 were identical apart from the video board. The 876 is more of a 906 with certain missing features (hence the shared manual).

However, in real terms, the 876 doesn't really offer very much over the 806 that will actually be used apart from a bit extra power - at least that I could tell. Admittedly, the 876 is an excellent machine which can drive more difficult loads without strain thanks to the beefier power supply, but the speaker system which is being considered here isn't that demanding.

If 04EXCURSION intends to use analogue sources which are important to him (her? :-) ) such as cherished tapes then the upscaling of the 876 is well worthwhile, but if the main focus is HDMI, then I see little point...

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12279
Honestly upscaling HDMI isn't really a factor 9 times out of 10 for an AV receiver, as most any bluray player or DVR with HDMI and HD support will do the upscaling for you prior to the video switching anyway, so all you actually need upscaled are the analog, older type sources that rely on svid and composite, like older gaming consoles, laserdiscs, VCRs, and so forth.
Modern goodies tend to be HDMI anyway, like computers, BD, HD DVR, and so on. If it's got HDMI, chances are the output is 1080P already. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 545
I will be using old school tapes, ie, Beta, VHS, and a SNES...do you really think there would be a noticeable difference in an up converted Beta tape? it seems like it would worse than if it was left as is?

I'm also in the process of trying to get (I forgot the name) but the early version of Laser Disc, do you know what I'm talking about, it's kind of like a laser disk but it's in a plastic case that you insert into the player, roughly the same size...do you know what this is? I can't remember the name of it, I think it came out in the 70's or early 80's. I'm assuming it was replaced by laser disc, like Beta vs VHS.....sorry kind of went of track there.

Frank, I am a guy, If there was girl that loved Excursion's and electronics, I would marry her. haha

so back on the subject, I assume with these outdated devices the 876 would be what I want...

Silver Member

Post Number: 547
I have another question, sorry if I'm annoying you already, I noticed that the 876 does not have, or at least didn't mention anything about Pro Logic IIx. IS that an outdated thing now? Have they replaced it with something else? I wanted the pro Logic IIx to get the 7.1 from my PS2 games, and all other stereo or pro Logic sources... Thanks

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 46
Yes, it has PL IIx Music, Movie and Game modes. It's simply become a pretty common feature on most of the receivers in the quality level you're looking at.

On the video scaling I would suggest looking at it from the mind set that it will convert your analog sources with reasonable image quality, but don't expect miracles. Don't expect it to make your VHS movies to magically appear with HD quality on the screen.

Matt @ OneCall

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
Glad you're leaning toward the 876 because another difference is that the new 806 has only a 36 Amp power supply vs. the 876 which has a 65 Amp power supply, making the 876 much more powerful. It also has greater dynamic range.
Let us know when you get it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
Thanks Matt, I didn't see that listed on the Onkyo site. I'm not expecting anything miraculous with the up conversion, but video games ie PS2 and PS1, should look nice, and DVD. not that the PS3 doesn't up convert everything, but I'm trying not to use the PS3 for everything, I don't want to burn it out, since you can't buy the 60 GB anymore, other than online

George, what's the difference between 36 Amp and the 65 Amp? besides the numbers. does that mean it literally has 65 Amps?

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12282
current is an "on demand" thing. The 65A power supply means it's capable of supplying up to 65A of current on demand, meaning it can produce more power as well as have a larger reserve for transients and quick bursts of high power demand. The more reserve you have, the better the amp will perform. If the amp hits it's limits during a passage of music, the amp tends to sound flatt or compressed. At worst, the amp will clip and this can damage speakers.

As for the video discs, if you want some of those, I can sell you a pile I have here for next to nothing. I bought them by mistake thinking they were LDs. Now I have no use for them. In regards to the upscaling, yes it will be an improvement, but as noted, you can only do so much if the source material is poor to begin with, like with old beta tapes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
GlassWolf is bang on with his description. Yes, the 876 has 65A on demand for dynamics, which also comes in very very handy for those HT explosion events when all 5 or 7 channels are called on to output. It is the amps behind the watts that are a huge part about what quality an amplifier is.
I'm just glad my Onkyo 805 has 60A, as provided by it's beefy power supply.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3499
The problem with large reserves of power is that they're only as good as the capacitors they use as storage. Fact is, if you use large caps it takes a long time to refill them so you get latency making an amp sound 'slow' - powerful, but slow. I'm not saying this is the case for the 876 but just giving an example of how an impressive statistic can be achieved at the expense of another.

If you have a large room and/or your speakers are difficult to drive, then the extra afforded by a 65A supply may well be handy. In an average sized room with typical speakers, you're unlikely to hit the 806's buffers. Given that you've not complained of a lack of power from the 787 I doubt you need the extra.

Then again, the 876 is a great machine, it has the Reon video scaler for your analogue sources which appear to be important to you, and it comes in under budget with the deals going round. Given this, it seems sensible (!) to go for the 876 rather than the 806 (the analogue sources are the clincher for me).

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12288
Not always the case, as you can achieve similar results to one large cap, by using a bank of smaller ones with much lower ESR to avoid the latency. Anyway, there are ways around this, and the higher end Onkyos also use large toroidal transformers (plural) etc to improve the quality of the power supply.
I could go into more detail about power supply design, but it seemed like overkill, and frankly over most peoples' heads unless they also have degrees in EE.

Silver Member

Post Number: 549
Thank you GlassWolf, your knowledge on this stuff astounds me.

Frank, your most likely right, the 787 has enough power, I probably don't need the extra power from the 876, but I always go for the overkill, this way I have the power in case in the future I get some power sucking speakers in the future. I mostly want the 876 for it's features, the beefy power supply is just a delightful bonus
the analogue sources are the clincher for me too.

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12298
for what it's worth, the 876 has top awards for best product in it's class. the 906 was passed over and not being able to justify the price difference for the added benefit of the internet connectivity, which I can understand. I think you'll love that 876 for years to come.
My last Onkyo, the DS797, has been going strong since I bought it back in 2001, and I still love it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
GlassWolf, there's many-a-time when I wish I splurged on the 905. I'm sure you'll love it for years to come, as well.

04EX.. Glad you've decided. Let us know when you've dropped the bucks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
Thank you all you have all been extremely helpful in this tough decision, and I will let you know when I get it, I'm sure I will love it, I just have to save up the money now. I'll let the wife know about it when it arrives at the door. haha

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3509
One thing I feel I must mention: I know I keep coming down against the 876. It really is an excellent receiver, but check the dimensions before you buy it since it is deeper and higher than most people realize. you've got to put the thing somewhere...

oh...and enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
Yes, I second that Frank and given it does generate lots of heat, you need to give it the full recommended top clearance of 8 inches, as directed in the owners manual. Fans and the like just won't do - it needs room.

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
hmm, I'll buy a separate stand for it then, thanks for that vital information, I'll find somewhere to put it, what a behemoth!

Bronze Member
Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 12
D4 Excursion, I am a huge fan of Onkyo, for many reasons. However, that does not mean my eyes and ears are not open to other units. The new Marantz AV 6003, is one heck of a receiver. It takes a lot of what it has, from their latest and greatest processor/preamp. I would certainly get a demo of this. Hope this helps.

http://www.hometheaterreview.com/equipment-reviews/video-reviews/av-receiver-rev iews/marantz_sr6003_av_receiver_reviewed001910.php
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us