Theatre Research TR-5210

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

POed
Unregistered guest
You get scammed when you think you're buying high quality speakers and you get cheap speakers with the worst components any China man can find. My book shelf speakers sound much better than the fancy looking towers I bought. Under the paint is cheap particle board.

Montreal 2
Unregistered guest
My friend bought these TR-5210 for 400$ CDN in Montreal a little before new years. I tried them on my stereo receiver and DAMNNNNN these speakers are f*cking amazing! I took the speakers appart and can confirm that these are very well built. I'm sure these will be INCREDIBLE with a digital surround receiver.

Shimmygirl
Unregistered guest
They are here in Rhode Island now too. Just purchased a Theater Research TR-501 Surround sound system from 2 guys in a white van parked outside the bank. They claimed to be drivers for a company called American Sound Systems located in W. Bridgewater, MA. They gave the same scam story; they claimed they had rec'd Xtra inventory and were trying to get rid of it before returning to work. They showed a catalog containg pics & prices of the merchandise claiming it was a $2500 system. Haven't tried the speakers yet. Went on-line and found this website. I wish I had known about this site before purchasing them. We need to put an end to this scam. Even if some of you are happy with your speakers, the tatics they employ to get people to purchase them is ethically wrong and probably illegal. You can't sell merchandise out of the back of a van without a vendor's license. Let's shut this operation down. Stand up for yourselves and help other unsuspecting victims in the process. I have looked into this company and "Theater Research" has complaints online with the BBB. (See Bureau ID #13144954). They also do business under the name "Dogg Digital Audio". Just remember that Apathy is worse than the scam being put upon us. A comment to all those speaker guys out there. I have one word for you: KARMA.

ripped_off_in_Tulsa
Unregistered guest
Same thing in Tulsa, OK. The guys tried to get $400 from me, but I offered $100 then started to drive away. They flagged me down and took my $100. Haven't hooked them up yet, but it boggles my mind that this scam could be so widespread.I guess I'm just glad I didn't pay more for them.

Unregistered guest
www.trtheaterresearch.comis a valid site
so lest send all viruses and internet attacks there it will help them in their quest to steal the american public blind

Anonymous

Same thing for me, Sherbrooke, Qc, two quebecers in Cherooke, november 2003, their stock scraped my amplifier, and speakers dont tough a long time, so i selled them on lespac.com

Anonymous

Well, I got a set of surround sound speakers for $140.00. Haven't tried them yet but felt like I couldn't pass up the deal. I see them for sale on ebay for about what I paid for them so I won't feel bad unless they don't work. It happened in Menlo Park, CA on Jan. 16th, when only 1 guy in a white van asked if I wanted a set of surround speakers. He almost bailed when I offered only $100.00, but then I didn't walk away either. He did offer a reciept but I didn't take it.

Anonymous

They are called "Digital Research DA 5.1 Pro-Series III" Music and Home Theater System on the box. The guy was working a grocery store parking lot and there were cops around the area at the time. He didn't seem in much of a hurry but did take off after the deal . This occurred in Menlo Park, CA. The box list was $1999.00 but the guy took $140.00

lesson learnt
Unregistered guest
Happened to me last week at a service station in the burbs of chicago. Havent hooked them up yet but should be ok with my reciever. Paid $700 for home theatre system and two tower speakers. Probably got ripped off but when you buy from some guy out of back of van what do you expect. Lesson learn't!

Unregistered guest
Well Well Well guys, I'm in Houston and I pulled into a Home Depot off Highway 6 and 2 guys in a green miniVan, one white and one hispo(the talker) said they got xtra inventory and they worked for a company who installed surroud sound for luxury suites at Reliant Stadium. They sold a set of Tr-8000 to a chinese guy for 160 so I knew how much they were going for..We settled on 140 but in the end , i gave them only 125. If you are in Houston, look out for a white or hispo male in blue or green minivan and dont buy from them cuz its a scam as you can see here. If any1 has Tr-8000 and can recommend the cheapest setup(receiver etc) that sounds great, e-mail me.

dough boy
Unregistered guest
Bought a tr-5210 in Lachute, Quebec. Same deal two guys in a white SUV. Unfortunately I own a Yamaha system and should have known better. Anyways for $200.00 it still isn't a bad deal, however like many other people on this site I thought that I would make a couple hundred off the deal and make someone else happy. I doubt that will happen but I'd be happy to sell them for $180.00 to someone who needs a home theatre system. It is probably worth that much all things considered!

Unregistered guest
Well , the good thing that i'm not alone .
TR 1100 !!! i ' ve paid 200 dollars , Pasadena , CA . two guys in the white van .
looks good - 5 speakers + subwoofer on each stand . i bought them on my way to work , they are still in my car .i do have an amplifire , but if they sound shitty , which i'm gonna find out tonight , you might meet one more guy in green toyota soon somewhere on the streets of los angeles laying down some stupid story on some other stupid buyer , but if they are sound OK , then i'd say it's a good deal , obviosly you can't find them in the store for that price :-).

Unregistered guest
But anyway what's the problem ?
I tested them in the evening with my stereo system and it sounds great , can't complain and a subwoofer does good enough for 8" one , i imagine it sounds even better with reciever when it splits the signal , well i work for the radio station , i'm engineer myself , so on monday
i'll take one of the two towers to the station and i'll have a good technitian take a look at it , i'll let you guys know what he thinks .

Anonymous

it just happened to me, in sherbrooke qc.
the guy even showed me his driver's license.. he said he was heading back to montreal.. and baught the tr 5120 for 500$.. they told me the "guy with a 1200$ check" line too... i didnt take any information cuz i thought he was ok.. just a bit excited.. and smelled like weed.. so watch out for 2 guys in a green van.. they look like young students.. maybe they are.. and they work for a network..

Harlequin
Unregistered guest
i got a set worth 2,500 for 20 bucks off 2 guys, all u need is a reciever to adjust levels and such. it was well worth the money, but isnt it funny that this is happening all over with two guys selling them all over.

Anonymous

yesterday, I bought the 5210's from a few guys in Jackson, California. First they said they were free, then they charged me. I don't know how the subwoofer hooks into my Denon AVR-982 receiver (which pushes 135watts per speaker), or how I hang the satellite speakers on the wall? Does anybody know how they hang, and also how to power the subwoofer from the receiver, since the subwoofer has in/outs rear/back in?

vertical_hiker@yahoo.com

Anonymous

these things sound insane... On your surround sound recieve i have to turn my sub woofer pre amp output off... i only have a 100watt per channel sony ES system 6.1.... what i did for the TR-2810 was hook the A side up to the tweaters and the B side up to the bass.. As they are connected dual in the back.. Man i am telling you guys... if you hook them up write and have good rear speakers its like being at the theatre... These speakers are not a joke... I think its either ppl ripping someone off or a small company just getting started... Probably some kids that went to school for this stuff... I havn't heard anything near the quality of these when i was at Circuit City or Tweeter...

http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/contact_us.html
call them

Username: Stone

Post Number: 22
these things sound insane...
--
You've got to be kidding. I cannot believe anyone would actually buy anything from someone selling merchandise out of a car!! If you are paying 400.00 for floorstanders you are fooling yourself thinking they sound like anything even mid-hifi. But go on believing it if that makes you feel better about the purchase. I got approached years ago with how they had ordered to many and were overstocked blaa, blaa, blaa. Very pushy hard sale. Never bought them, glad I didn't.

sammy
Unregistered guest
So whats the bottom line are the TR 5210 worth anything? Do they really sound good>

snewp
Unregistered guest
Bought the TR-6100 system and as a DVD system, the sound rocks. However, I can't figure out how to hook my DirectTV up through it. A few of you said you hooked it through your receiver, how? I have tried and I don't get any sound. Please help!

Anonymous

Here's One place I used:
http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html
Or:
http://www.compusa.com/promos/entertainment/pdfs/HomeTheatreHookup.pdf
Or:
http://www.architectural-audio.com/pdfs/HTWP7ins.pdf
Good Luck one of these should get you going. Just a FYI, when I connected mine I couldn't hear anything out of the rears or center and after reading the (receivers (novel idea)) manual, I discovered the small separate volume buttons for these. After turning them up, they came from the factory turned all the way down, everything sounded wonderful!

carlos
Unregistered guest
Ripped in miami in the parking lot of a bank...
$400 TR-1110

Unregistered guest
carlos i got ripped too in a parking lot in miami ..on kendall dr...if you have some information about the guys let me know...my phone is 7863025078

gloria
Unregistered guest
hi, they ripped my boyfriend too!, in a parking lot (bank) in miami, today.... please we would like to know what we can do about it!.... we don't even have a cable to connect them

Anonymous

Canyon Audio is an authorized rep for these speakers. It looks like they're doing it the right way by offering decent prices, a money back guarantee and a sales receipt. You can find them on the Internet at www.canyonaudio.com. I just bought a set from them and I'm pretty happy with their service.

a.s.b.e.m.
Unregistered guest
a friend in Motreal just baught a surround sound system and a pair of towers for 900.oo. was told the were worth 6000.00 all in all. they originaly wanted 2000.00. there story was they swiped them from the warehouse when doing a pick-up. they had a cataloge with the prices. claimed they had done it before but the boss sold them for his own proffit.

Robert Kilner
Unregistered guest
How would the TR-1400s compare to the $299 pair of Athenas currently being offered at Best Buy, considering the TR-1400s are for about $400?

Anybody familiar with these brands that wants to give a comparison?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 261
optimus from radio shack would sound better than any of the home theater research or dogg digital or epiphany speakers.

here's a news clip about these crap...
check it out
http://www.wsbtv.com/video/2826847/detail.html

steph
Unregistered guest
hey from Montreal, QC ... so funny in a parking lot 3 guys in an Ford Explorer .. u cant check nothing out...WRONG... I tried the sub and the center speaker in my car before buying. Same story asking 800$ down to 600$ and 400 finalize at 300$cdn, only cash,for a evaluation of 2199$
Everything works fine, even got a waranty.

But Is this really a deal?

Anonymous

A 5'8 chubby white guy got me in the Home Depot car park in Somerville, Boston. Same story, extra shippment, the mag, broucher (which I kept),lunch break ...etc.. Bought 2 sets of the TR1100 and one of the TR7000 for $740 after he hooked up one set at my place and they sounded great except the subwoofer is a bit weak. Definately would not have bought them if I had not tried them first. Still I would stronly question this method of sale. Don't feel too riped off though he would have taken less money thinking about it.

Anonymous

me to , two guys in a gmc yukon in canada quebec (st-hyacinthe) sell me a TR-5140 at 340$ and he have same story... but the guy give me a number of telephone if he have a problem ... i don't try to tell at this people because i dont understand all this *&?% ... if you have some information please write me at lori_lovely_15@hotmail.com thx

crash
Unregistered guest
Well my dumb A$$ got taken to, or not still haven't hooked them up yet. Here's the story, pulled into a Bank One parking lot checking out this hot chick when these 2 guys in a white suburban ask me if I'm interested in a home surround system. after taking a quick look at them and already having a polk audio system at home I wasn't really into it. then this lady pulled up asking what stolen goods they were selling in the bank parking lot. I could have crawled into a hole about that time. meanwhile the guy says that when he picked up these speakers for an install in the neighborhood they gave them to many sets and they wanted to just get rid of them. $500 he offered. I told them I wasn't in the market and then the lady said we both buy a set for $200. they eventually said ok. as I walked away the lady told me she was into real estate sales and loved talking people out of money. shook my hand and away everyone went. As I entered the bank I found every employee looking out the doors at the transactions going on. I really wanted to die. thought they might have been stolen but didn't ask. thought I was getting a good deal for a friend. still not sure. O'well live and learn.

Crash
Unregistered guest
OBTW Phoenix, AZ

Unregistered guest
Well from what I see I'm not the only one who does dumb deal on the road. But is it really dumb?
READ THIS Same story, two guys, red explorer, paid $300 cdn for RT-5140 near Montreal.
Hook them up beside my pair of 120 W RMS speakers ( 15" woofer , 2 mid range and 2 piezzo super horn) with Sansui 65 W RMS per channel ( .02 % Harmonic distortion) get similar sound results ... as much bass and little too much treble but it kicked a... Went to the stores bought the cheapest Yamaha surround sound system, hook the new Theatre Research speakers but I kept the old amplifier to drive the sub woofer and now .... Hold on your seat belt it's amazing .. Why? the include sub woofer is call passive which mean it's not amplified and if you use it that way get sure you hook both side in the back of it to get the most power but the theatre effect is not as good and you still need to connect the main speakers on the exit on the sub woofer. In using my old amplifier its like if the sub was call active and is amplified by it self which does not required a very powerful surround sound system and give all the theatre effects. Need some more details, just E-mail and don't forget it's still a pretty good deal if you didn't pay more than about $ 600 cdn (you can get a decent kit of CerwinVega for that price)

Tampa FL
Unregistered guest
Bought the TR8200 suurround and they sound pretty good, but you need a high powered reciever or amp to push em. I got the powered sub and it sounds good for movies and tv not music with strong bass.Paid 200 plus got some pro dynamics kpp 901 s.Those sound like crap but good for shop speakers.Overall I Didnt lose out to bad.Tampa fl Tan chevy tahoe same old story and they caught me in the bank lot.

Guillaume
Unregistered guest
Same thing happened to me but I bought the tr-5140 for 300$ can in Canada, MOntreal

did'nt tried them yet???

does anyone know about the retail price of this thing ???

Username: Sl5290

Post Number: 2
I am offering $250.00 for a pair of TR-500 in piano black. Does anyone get them? E-mail to me at sl5290@hotmail.com

Ogab
Unregistered guest
I bought the 5210's for 200. I love it. by far the best sounding surround sound system I have ever had and one of the best ive heard. I was thinking it was a scam at first also but figured i would give it a shot. Damn glad I did.

Unregistered guest
I just bought 2 pair in West Palm Beach. 4 speakers, 75 bucks each. Not a bad deal. Anyway, same scenario..two guys in a Jeep Wrangler flag me down in a bank parking lot and ask me if I want to buy some home speakers..I dint buy them right then, but I thought about it and called the guy on a number he had given me....4 speakers, 300 dollars. I can't complain. The models were TR-900 and TR-0412. I found both models on that canyon audio website. I didnt get ripped off.

Unregistered guest
Just yesterday, here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, two guys in a white van offered us a whole surround system. 700$can for 2 digital research DR750SL's, a center spearker and 2 rear speakres the DR755SL. At first after reading all this info i was gonna flip out thinking i got screwed. But i hooked them up today and damn the pound!

Unregistered guest
I just bought 2 TR1120 tower speakers in Napa, Ca.for $300.00. They sound pretty good. I hooked up the left channel to the TR-1120 and the right channel to my B & W dm-303 speaker it is comparible. I have not opened up the speakers to look at the circuitry though. I'm not sure if I will keep them.

Unregistered guest
If you want to get rid of them, I offer $120.00 to take care of your trash. In fact, they are good speakers, but they are not good as they claim. The quality of the elements of the speakers may meet the basic requirement, but they are very detailed or refined comparing to those luxury or name brand speakers. The price of $300.00 is the whole sale price. Lose or gain all depend on how you look at and hear from them. If you prefer B&W, try this guy at www.dulcet.com.

Username: Mizrachi

Brooklyn, Ny Usa

Post Number: 6
whats crazy about this is that i remember as a little kid, no more than nine or ten years old, guys trying to sell speakers out of the back of a van. they used to be all over nyc. and that was about twenty years ago! wonder if it's the same crew...

M1
Unregistered guest
well well well im actually in tampa fl these two dirty lookin white boys pulled up to me out of the blue and asked if i needed some speakers, i had just pulled out of car audio store, so i wonder if they were surveying the area, regardless i gave those maggots $160 for the subs they have some kind of light kit on them with a supposed digital amp, they showed me the book and ran the some scheme about how they didnt want to report to their boss with all this extra stuff they supposedly got overstocked with, i actually let one of those maggots ride with me and my cousin to go get the cash, and buddy asked me if i had anything to "sweeten" the deal i told him i dont have what your looking for...i havent hooked them up to my stereo as of yet but i did hear them and they sound pretty good so far, this was a street deal so i dont mind risking a buck sixty i wouldnt pay anything more for them

Unregistered guest
I DONT KNOW WHY YOU ALL HAVE PROBLEMS,
I BOUGHT 2 TRO212 SPEAKERS, AND HOOKED THEM UP TO A 500WT. LOW END RECIEVER TO TEST THEM....THEY ARE AMAZING....WELL WORTH THE $200. i Spent for them.....stop whinning and try them THEY ROCK...I COULD BLOW A HOLE THROUGH THE WALL WITH THEM.....OBVIOUSLY NOT A CHEAP SPEAKER

Alexandre B
Unregistered guest
Same thing happened to me 10 mins ago in Montreal, 3 guys in a white Yukon stopped as I was getting the mail. Showed me the mag and the speakers(TR-1110). Luckily being a student thats always broke I had no money.

Anonymous

OK Ken you go one believing that if it makes you happy. I just would not recommend comparing them side by side with high end speakers. But for 200.00 bucks I suppose you can bring them out for a beer bash and not worry about puke stains or beer spills.

FU TR
Unregistered guest
Glad I ran into this website. Someone tried to pawn their unopened TR speakers on me for $500. Glad I checked this out before I jumped.

The Punisher
Unregistered guest
Class action law suit anyone?

Request your refunds from:

trtheaterresearch
doggdigital@aol.com
5451 Commercial Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
US

714-894-5888

Thaddeus
Unregistered guest
I just ran into a couple of guys in the orlando area with TR-1110 speakers. It was in a bank parking lot and they gave me the spiel about someone accidentally giving them too many pairs and wanting to sell them before they met their boss. Showed me the magazine, etc. I took a pair for $250 and figured I was scammed but I needed a new pair anyways. I hooked them up to me new AIWA receiver and they kick butt!!! I dunno if they're worth the full retail price, but for what I paid I'm quite happy with this scam.

TBIZZ
Unregistered guest
YEA I JUST BOUGHT 2 THEATRE RESEARCH TOWER SPEAKERS TR1100 ALSO, FROM 2 GUYS IN A WHITE VAN. THEY SAID THEY ARE REALLY HIGH END SPEAKERS AND MATTER OF FACT THEY JUST SOLD A PAIR TO MACK 10 THE DAY BEFORE. ONE OF THE GENTLEMEN ACTUALY SHOWED ME A PIC OF HIM AND MACK 10 IN HIS CAMERA PHONE. WHICH OF COURSE CONVINCED ME TO BUY THE SPEAKERS FOR $350. I GOT HOME AND STARED RESEARCHING THE BRAND NAME AND WAS DISCOURAGED WHEN I CAME ACROSS THIS POSTING. BUT, I JUST HOOKED THEM UP TO MY STEREO USING SPEAKER CABLE TO TEST THEM OUT A LITTLE AND THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!! (EVEN WITHOUT AN AMP OR RECEIVER). MAYBE THE DIGITAL AUDIO SPEAKERS SUCK BUT THE THEATRE RESEARCH ONES...DEFINATELY NOT. I WAS THINKING ABOUT SELLING THEM FOR MORE THAN I PAID FOR THEM. BUT, I AM DEFINATELY KEEPING THEM. I DON'T KNOW WHAT MOST OF YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT. I AM CONVINCED I CERTAINLY GOT A GOOD DEAL, AND THE FACT THAT THEY ACTUALLY HAVE A BUSINESS ADDRESS AND WEBSITE DEFINATELY HELPS11111 :D. SORRY FOR YOU PEOPLE WHO FELL LIKE YOU GOT SCAMMED BUT I'M EXCTATIC.

Unregistered guest
I'm looking to unload a pair of TR-1610 Tower Speakers. They are guaranteed to work. Make me a fair offer. You can email me at jvinojr@homail.com

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 481
People--Please stop buying speakers from people you don't know in parking lots. While these people are scam artists that sell these speakers, you have no one to blame but yourselves. Don't let a BS story and your presumption of a "Real Deal" get in the way of common sense.

It never makes sense to buy speakers you never heard (or never heard of) from strangers. Anyone can print up phony magazine reviews and phony invoices to look professional.

Speakers aren't Nike sneakers that fell off the back of a truck. Even if the speakers were B&W's or Paradigms, how would you know that the high quality speaker drivers that B&W or Paradigm provide haven't been switched out for garbage woofers and tweeters? You wouldn't. A nice piece of furniture can easily be packaged with with cheap drivers inside, making them hardly worth more than the box they came in.

meh
Unregistered guest
I'm still trying to figure out how this is a scam...Seems like a LEGITIMATE business deal to me. You pay them for the speakers and you receive the speakers. The fact that some people are paying higher than others doesnt mean jack sh!t...Its no different than getting a better deal at a different store for the same item. What also boggles me is how 75% of the jackasses that are writing responses about how they just got "SCAMMED" havent even hooked the goddamn things up yet. Why dont you test them out and them write a decent review instead of the usual Alien Like sighting sob story. "THIS JUST IN...FAT GUY IN WHITE VAN SPOTTED IN CA"

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 485
meh-

My understanding of these speaker deals involve stories that are lies (we have left over from an installation, too many were shipped, etc), false invoices for expensive speakers, and fake reviews from non-existent magazines. If that doesn't qualify as a scam (selling under false pretenses)and lying about it. than what does?

Admittedly, these scam artists couldn't make a deal unless the buyers thought they were getting stolen or crooked merchandise.

So I don't feel too bad bad for those taken--they thought the "real" owner of the speakers was being robbed or otherwise duped and they were being the beneficiencies of a theft.

CML
Unregistered guest
I was also approached by a White Van in Bloomingdale IL, two white guys said they have overstock, and sold me the TR-2810 two front home theatre speaker for $300 they wanted $500 a piece.
This speakers are heavy, 60 pounds ea. all came in a box, they showed me the magazine... so I went home hooked them up and sound awesome! ,they look really nice it has a nice finish, they look sharp, and I am keeping them... my friend told me he used to do this kind of scam, where they print magazines and tell you they speakers are worth $2000 but paying $300 sounds about right or even a good deal.

CML
Unregistered guest
I was also approached by a White Van in Bloomingdale IL, two white guys said they have overstock, and sold me the TR-2810 two front home theatre speaker for $300 they wanted $500 a piece.
This speakers are heavy, 60 pounds ea. all came in a box, they showed me the magazine... so I went home hooked them up to my receiver a put in a DVD and sound awesome! they even sound better that the Cerwin Vega I have ,they look really nice it has a nice finish, they look sharp, and I am keeping them... my friend told me he used to do this kind of scam, where they print magazines and tell you they speakers are worth a lot of money but paying $300 sounds about right or even a good deal.

here's the pitch: SoCal twice 50 miles apart... gas station then a mall
Unregistered guest
hey bro! wanna buy some speakers? we got these pairs left over from an install we just did, can't take them back or boss will keep them. we (2) just wanna make a few extra bucks... Look they're worth $3000/pair. we were gonna sell them to the last guy for 600 but he wanted to write a check, can't take checks tho... needs to be cash. oh, check it out (fake-looking box) priced there 1499 each, made of aluminum whatnot, spun silk tweeter, bro, spun silk! look at this sub (a whole 5 inches!wtf!). check out this mag, showin' them in here for 1499 each see, they're legit... so how much can you give? 600->400->300->200 | looks like they don't go lower than 100 each, probably cause they buy them at about 50 each [to double their money at least] _-_-_ i didn't buy them =] tell a friend! all your friends!!! it's a freakin' scam! there's different pairs of scammers

scott n
Unregistered guest
got me in sacramento california

R2
Unregistered guest
They got me too in Sherbrooke,Québec but like others said, you can at least get them work with a receiver that offer an amplified sub output. They approched me in a charcoal Envoy with a Québec plate # FAT 8489. I don't where they got there fake magazine and all the rest but it's sure well planned

EL_LOCO
Unregistered guest
ARE U GUYS RETARDED? THESE SPEAKERS WORK AWESOME!!! IF U CANT HOOK THEM UP UR PRETTY STUPID DUDE.... AND HELL I AINT GONNA COMPLAIN ON THE PRICE... SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT HOW I GOT THEM... BUT HEY... SOUNDS BETTER THEN THE SURROUND I GOT RIGHT NOW.... SEEMS MORE LIKE A BUNCH OF GOOD SAMARITANS TO ME

dayday071483
Unregistered guest
Im in South FLA if their are any mad buyers that want to chat with me emailme....... dayday0714@hotmail.com and i really want to know the truth are you mad cause the way they sound or because you thought you were gonna make some money on a little side deal cause you were gonna get such a good deal you couldnt refuse......dont be so mad cause you got sold something that you looked at and agreed with us was a nice speaker and you in your mind believed it was worth as much as we told you so why cant you just go hook it up and show them off to your friends and tell them how nice they are????

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 544
If the sellers of these speakers are so honorable, why do they print phony inflated invoices and phony magazine reviews?

We know why---to sucker people that never heard of the speakers into thinking they are getting $1500 speakers for $200-$500.

Why don't they just be honest and say these speakers are made in China and I personally think they are a good deal at $250-$500? Why do they say they are left overs from an installation or some other BS story?

Because they feel they have to appeal to the greed and unpleasant morals of people (particularly those that are least able to afford them) to sell them.

And I know a spanish teacher that stupidly bought a pair about 6 months ago for her husband while Xmas shopping at the mall. Her ignorance on audio equipment, her believing the phony printed reviews and invoices, and a lapse in moral judgement exacerbated by a limited budget made her easy prey.

Anyone that thinks they are awesome speakers has either never heard good speakers, wants to be deluded, is rationalizing their illegal enterprise, or is hearing impaired.

bob YHE BUILDER
Unregistered guest
HAHAHAHAHA HOW CAN U SAY THAT WHEN U HAVE NEVER HEARD A SET.... I HAVE LISTENED TO LEGIT $10000 NUANCE TOWERS IN A STORE... AND HELL FOR THE PRICE... THESE THINGS CANT BE BEAT... UNLESS U DISH OUT THE $10000 FOR NUANCE SPEAKERS.

Blackfox
Unregistered guest
Bought these today in Vancouver WA as I was omw to an AMPM. Same deal, overstock, blah blah blah...2 guys, white van, said they had to give 200 bucks back to the boss for the tr-5210's and 75 per tower for those(don't remember what the model was). Bought em for 200, figuring, what the heck, I needed new speakers anyway, and even cheap ones are around 200 for a set. Took them home and tried em out, haven't hooked up the sub yet, but the sattelites and center sound about mid-range, not as good as my logitech Z680's I have on my computer, but not bad. only problem I have with em is that while center is shielded, the sattelites aren't, and the center is just a little short of being able to sit on top of a computer monitor. But I'm pretty sure my TV has better shielding, so shouldn't be a problem.

overall I'm not displeased with the deal, but I haven't hooked them up to my surround system yet as it's still in storage, hopin they will be better than the speakers I had before.

Anonymous

hey dayday071483
you must have been the guy that sold me the set of TR 1610's a few months back ...honestly they've been sitting in my girl's closet ever since. Maybe these speakers rock..i dont know yet...but if you invented a magazine and all that other stuff ....well that was misleading and a bit dishonest, even if i was thinking that i could re-sell them for much more , what you guys did was deceive me (these are tough times we all have to try to make a buck i guess)If the speakers sound good, then overall it was fair.

Dennis, ROWLAND HEIGHTS
Unregistered guest
These two freaks (a white guy, apprx. 25 yrs old & a dark asian guy apprx 19 yrs old) in a white van approached me in the parking lot on the corner of NOGALAS AND COLIMA in ROWLAND HEIGHTS. So they asked me if I wanted these bomb A$$ speakers that he took extra from his boss's warehouse. On the box, it had a label listing the "Theater RESEARCH" brand for about $999.99. I was taken away with his persuasion and bought it for $275. Found out that the speakers sounded terrible! and 2 of the speakers where dummies (These cheap a$$ TR-1100 model).

THIS IS A WARNING TO NOT BUY THESE FAKE SPEAKERS!!! THEY ARE A BUNCH OF LIARS!!!! DAMN EM ALLLLLLL!!!!!

*By the way, have you noticed that all of the messeges in CAPS posted on this forum says only good things about the speakers? like how they work good and stop whinning and all that bs. Well, obviously, it is those freaks trying to trick you guys on this forum to feel less guilty about buying these cheap speakers.

SO, DISREGARD ALL THE POSTS THAT SAYS GOOD THINGS ABOUT THESE SPEAKERS, THEY ARE NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY! THOSE FREAKIN errrr@@#!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
What I can say? Those speakers are cheap but they are looked good as some expensive speakers. There is why the "White van guys" said that you would get lower prices on expensive speakers. Actually, it's not cheap. The "White van guys" make amount of money as same as retail stores.

Anonymous

Same story here...two guys in a van,...etc. Bought the 5.1 satellite system with powered subwoofer. I am by no means affiliated with these guys, and was initially worried that I got ripped off. I am happy to say that I believe the system represents good value at ~$300.00. Sounds really good to me!

Brock

Anonymous

Well I just got fuc*ing ripped off also. In Coeur D'Alene Idaho. in a gas station parking lot. payed $275 for the TR-2900's they are tower speakers with a built in amp. if anyone wants to buy them from me for the same price e-mail me at Folky87@aol.com

clean
Unregistered guest
Some of you must know nothing about sound. I had a similar story from someone, and paid more!!! Aren't I the sucker, or so I thought. The equipment is quality. My friends think think they are amazing and clear. I have the TR-501 home theater system. If anyone wants to sell something for cheap, email me kmiecikmike@hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
You may be right. Some of people know nothing about sound. However, people who spend couple hunderd on speakers either are serious music listeners or rich suckers. It depends on what kinds of people you are talking to.

Unregistered guest
I'm stunned to hear about all these negative experiences with the Theatre Research Speaker Systems....i brought a pair of TR-2900 digital powered tower speakers on e-bay a few months back for 300 dollars and they kick some serious azz!!!! I got them hooked up to a bulls**t 19 year old kenwood receiver (100 watts x 2) and the sound is fantastic. The powered sub-woofers offer some deep room filling bass and the highs and mid range speakers are crisp. The only problem i had was a loose wire connector in the back of one of the speakers. Don't get me wrong...i've heard much better sounding speakers before...but not for 300 dollars for the pair! The Tr-2900 speakers i brought sound like some expensive high end speakers that retail for 1500 and better

Unregistered guest
It's a common problem of so-call deep room filling bass speakers. To fix this problem, you may use rings and lock washers for connections.

Unregistered guest
Ok, I have a question for you guys. Im looking to find cheap speakers (200-300 dollars) and I was wondering if you guys would reccomend either the TR-2800 or the TR-1200. I have heard these speakers aren't the best, but all im looking for are decent speakers for the price. Also, I heard that you need an amp to play the speakers, please fill me in on that if you can. Thanks

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 582
Paddy--

Except for many computer speakers and some studio monitors, most speakers are not self-powered.

Be smart--go to an online speaker site such as Axiom, Ascend, or Aperion. They all have speakers that are very good that fit in your price range.

These other speakers are garbage in comparison.

crok13
Unregistered guest
I bought the tr-7000 and am very impressed with the sound quality. The sub shakes the walls and the sattelites are sweet also. The looks are stylish with the silver coating so for $200 + no tax I know I got a killer deal. I am looking to pair these with a set of silver tr-1100 which I hear good things about. I figure for a total of $400 how the hell could I go wrong . Just my 2 cents.

Deebo
Unregistered guest
My friend and I were on lunch break when we were approached...two guys in a silver Durango. My friend ended up buyin 1 TR-900 for $145 U.S. I asked for the guys number in case I wanted to buy the matching second speaker, and he gave me his bosses number. I thought it was fake, but I called the next day and it really was a speaker warehouse, where you have to make a minimum order of $10,000!!! At first I thought "ohh shoot, we got ripped off" but I actually tested the tower the next day through a 300W Technics reciever, not bad at all. A little shy on bass but is a bit more crisp and accurate than my sealed Sharp towers. I kinda like them. Real hand laid carbon glass fiber cones, all active woofers, no dummies, rubber suspension for the cones, and a silk tweeter. If I am able to sell the one I have for $500, i'm buyin a pair!! Sounds like the majority of these speakers are pretty good, but occasionally somebody gets some crappy ones, lol. Wish i could post some pics. They are too large, lol.

jajkljklj kjaflkadjs
Unregistered guest
well, i bought a pair of tr-1400's off a classmate today. i'm kind of amazed that so many people have bought TR speakers, but post on here before actually listening to it. i paid this guy $350 for the pair and i'm quite satisfied. if it's a scam, they were stolen, or they're some generic brand like people are claiming, they really do sound quite well. the build quality of these is pretty decent all by itself. w/o any speakers at all, i'm sure these speaker boxes are worth a few bucks! anyways, all drivers work and i'm very happy with the sound, but i have not cranked them WAY up yet. (i'm using a upper-end denon to power these too)

Anonymous

I've paid $300 for the TR-5210. It sounds amazing with the low end Digital JVC receiver which I've paid $100(open box) at Ultimate Electronic. The bass didn't sound good with the Harmon Kardon AVR225. I am looking for another set TR-2900 for my brother, if any of you want to sell yours $200 please email me at songtien@hotmail.com.

Bronze Member
Username: Elite

Post Number: 35
you guys are all stupid

Rocco
Unregistered guest
Kansas city, guy in white van had on the theater research t-shirt. Same story about the warehouse loaded them on his van and he has no customer to deliver them to. Same as all you guys said before. I didn't buy them. I thought they were stolen but now I think they are just cheap speakers and you pay what ever they can get out of you.

Username: Davidinfl

Orlando, Fl USA

Post Number: 1
Lastest SUCKER, i got jack for 1 dime. 6pcs TR + 2 tower. Old dog alway fall for old trick.
Walking around with a SUCKER tag on my forehead. Orlando FL 07-29-04 David in Orlando

Username: Davidinfl

Orlando, Fl USA

Post Number: 2
Got jack for 1 dime. 07-29-04. 6pcs TR+ 2 tower.
David in Orlando FL.07-29-04

Unregistered guest
Got me for $300 in Grand Rapids, MI for the TR-503

Username: Coldy13

I bought the TR-1610's for $200. They sound very good. I have connected them to 2 vintage pioneer amps, one is 370watts, the other is 200watts. They sound very good with either amp. They have 2 6.5" aluminum front woofers, 1 10" aluminum side firing woofer, and a 1" silk dome tweeter. Here's a pic of them, http://www.sonicsense.com/images/tr1610.jpg

I really don't care that it's a scam, I got excellent sounding and looking speakers for $200.

BTY: They were in columbus ohio on 8-17-04. White van, one hispanic with tats and one normal white guy. If I see them again I'd like to thank them for selling me these speakers :-)

Anonymous

Yes, just had a similar experience. Black/dark blue Ford Explorer. IL temporary license plate
969A322. In Aurora, IL Rt. 59. Feelings mutual. TR2800. 2 white guys, 1 with Red hair, other with Black.

Unregistered guest
I bought some speakers recently labeled Digital Research 5.1 pro series 3. I got two sets for 275.00 which I thought was good. Who knows. If someone knows how to hook these up, especially the sub PLEASE let me know. My email is grablegrandeur@yahoo.com . I can only get two of them to work and Im using a pioneer 5.1 receiver with a digital cable. As I am unfamiliar with speaker stuff I am not sure what the best way to set these up would be. Thanks

Anonymous

i got aprached in new bedford, ma. today, and after coming to this site i think i should of bought them. i could have got the towers for $50but i thoughtit was a scam or like some cheap stuff.i think people should hook them up before they complain.

Pain
Unregistered guest
Yeah the mother f$*@kers hit Surrey British Columbia. If any of you scammers read this post which you will, your gonna meet the end of a Newfoundland baseball bat!

headphonesony
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to find what kind of receiver would work with the TR-5210. Looking at the back of the woofer, there are 2 right and left inputs and 2 right and left outputs. I'm totally lost with that one.

Looking on the message board ... I also got suckered into buying these speakers ... but if they are really good as some of you say ... I'll keep them (that is if I find the right reciever/amp.

sukine_taike@hotmail.com
Unregistered guest
hey im a 16 yearold just south of calgary alberta and i know exactly what you guys are talking about white chevy, great story, catalog, the works. i payed 400 cdn for a tr-5210 and now that i hear they are great speakers i might aswell keep them. but
isn't the real problem the fact that they could be stolen?

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 44
Umm, did these guys have guns and force you guys to buy these speakers..OUT OF A VAN?

THEY ARE NOT STOLEN. THEY ARE NOT HIGH-END. THEY ARE MADE IN SOME FACTORY SWEAT SHOP PROBABLY SOMEWHERE IN TAIWAN FOR $50 A PAIR.

Unregistered guest
RE: POed

"I bet under the paint hey are cheap particle board" You better hope so, particle board or preferably medium density fiber board are the absolute best materials for speaker enclosures. You can't make a good enclosure out of any solid wood, if you found them to be made of Oak or Fir then you have something to complain about. And cheap components aren't allways bad. Do you think all high end speaker manufacturers actually make the drivers, think again. Many, higher end speakers use Vifa/Peerless drivers which are far from expensive. Crack open the box of many 1500.00+ dollar speakers and find chinsey wire, cheap crossover components, unbraced enclosures, open back mids sharing the same enclosure as the woofer, etc. etc. Just about everybody cuts corners to keep production costs down.

In anycase, it is just simply amazing to me how many people are griping without having even hooked them up. If they do sound bad there are things you can do, even if you don't know the TS parameters of the individual drivers. Pull the speakers out, if there is pathetically thin cheap wire inside replace it, try fiber fill, if the mid is open backed and doesn't have it's own enclosure then make one for it using thick cardboard tube. If there is no crossover netwrok, and instead only capacitors inline with the mid and tweeter then look into getting some crossovers, etc., etc. All is not lost, you can often pay over 200.00 for for some nice speaker cabinets without any drivers in them so nobody is the bad off.

There seems to be alot of people wanting to know how they sound, and perhaps they do actually sound good. So why don't you save your comments until after you have tried them, Perhaps this thread will take a positive turn.

Bronze Member
Username: Okiecaver

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 49
RE: diy_guy

You are 100% correct. Particle board or MDF are best for speaker making, real wood the absolute worst.

As for drivers, thats why so many companies are mum about where their drivers are sourced. In addition, with rare exceptions, almost all consumer electronics, including speakers, are made in China or Taiwan. Does this mean it's poor quality or made in sweatshops? Not at all. In fact, in order to be a member of the WTO a certain level of employee treatment standards have to be maintained.

If you want an example of slave or child labor, look to Nike or Ralph Lauren.

Finally, a big part of the fun of hi-fi is tweaking. Add more insulation, put new feet on'em, upgrade your wires and crossovers. Play with bi-wiring or bi-amping.

Don't think it has to be big buck stuff either. Absolute Sound just recommended Home Depot 14 ga outdoor extension cord as an alternative to high dollar speaker cable. Spider type speaker feet run as little as 50 bucks a set.

Finally, there now at least 3 real e-tailers of Theater Research online now. All have auditioned and selected the best sounding models. Chat with them and see which ones would be best for you.

Happy listening
Brock

Diggler
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a cheap set of speakers and saw these on EBAY, would anyone recommend them? Whats the story with hooking them up?

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 32
Not recommended unless they pay you to take them.

Anonymous

I agree with Hokie and yes I do personally have listen to those tower speakers at home. If your budget is small and just want something that is better than a mini-system then go for it, or if you are only planning on listening to it for 15 minutes or so else extended listening will give you a headache. The sound is not balance and is far from neutral meaning that you can distinctly hear the low notes, midrange, and highs trying hard to work together. If you want good sound coming from these speakers, pair it with a low end receiver that "masked" the sound. If you pair it with a high end ones like H/K, all the flaws will be exposed.

But one thing for sure about these speakers is that they are the best looking ones in that price range !

AXGFYIKMHGT
Unregistered guest
SAVANNAH GA. TWO GUYS BLK. EXPLORER, TR-530 FOR 240.00. DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO HOOKEM UP. GO FIGURE!

Username: Sarriiance

Well... Well... Well...

Looks like people have been falling for the "Buy these great speakers, etc..." line... Wow - it's amazing to me how many people have actually fallen for this. The speakers themselves aren't total crap - I mean they DO work - they just aren't as good as brand name electronics, and in some cases they have the potential to 'blow up' - not like an explosion mind you - but to come apart via the wiring and foam for the speakers, etc... They are cheaply made, easy to put together if you know what you are doing, and you can make an easy profit off of them by selling them to naive people, such as yourselves. I'm not trying to ridicule here - just saying - why the **** would you buy electronics for your home off of some van or truck with no real warranty or receit? Warranty? Yeah - just send it in and see what happens buddy LOL... Ne ways - to stomp on you idiots even more - one of the guys I had as a temporary roommate dropped the Theatre Research TR-7000BK digital series off at my place for his friend so he could ship it back to Ireland. But this guy owed me $$$ so I basically ended up 'holding' the system for him until he came up with the money - but he never did, so I went ahead and kept the system. I says on the site that it retails for $1999. On the box itself it says: $2500 or so but whatever... If there are this many of you on here that fell for that crap on the street - I should have no problem unloading them... LOL...

Just think a little harder next time... :p

Username: Rahnikj

Hey buddy afer reading this everybody seemed to be pissed off on these not being expensive sh*t reality cehck is that they work great just listened to my friends system DPR1001 with 1120 and 8000 total 7.1 super sound who cares he did not spend another 2000 $ to match his Hk they sound good so i am ordering 610 an 1611 tonight thanks

Unregistered guest
I paid $360.00 for a pair of TR-0412 Digital Speakers, an Onkyo TX-8511 Reciever, and an Onkyo DX-C340 CD Player, including shipping on EBay. So, I really don't care if this is a scam, I just hope they sound good.

Anybody interested in a pair of Pioneer CS-911a Speakers and/or two (2) Harmon/Kardon 430 Twin Powered Recievers? One reciever works perfect, the other is good for parts.

Karnov_Birman@Hotmail.com

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Baltimore, MD USA

Post Number: 51
Whats a "digital" speaker?

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 618
Many manufacturers misuse the term, but a real digital speaker is one that accepts digital input directly (as opposed to most speakers that receive analog signals). The digital speakers has to have a DAC to convert the signal to analog for speaker driver use--as obviously we don't hear 1's and 0's, but sound waves, which certainly aren't digital.

Meridian makes some digital speakers of high quality. A few advantages may be that there is no possible degradation of the signal from the source through a digital wire connection (coaxial or optical), as long as jitter dealt with properly, plus a high quality speaker manufacturer can use high quality DACS and even DSP's to tailor the data exactly to how they want it for each driver, basically creating the advantages of an active crossover system.

Currently, most digital speakers are for computers and not up to serious audio quality--but Meridian certainly makes a few audiophile grade digital speakers--and I am sure there are a few others.

But almost everyone owns receivers and amps that are analog (except for the obvious DACS and DSP's inside the preamp sections)with analog outputs for standard speaker wire.

Anonymous

I wonder what these are like? For a cheap price, I would surely buy them and check em out.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%3D5723017486

Anonymous

IT IS A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS,I WAREHOUSE SPEAKERS FOR THESE GUYS,THEY BUY FROM THE COMPANY THAT MARKETS THEM AT COST AND BUMP UP THE RATES...RELAX...EVERYBODY HAS TO WORK SOMEWHERE...BEATS HAVING THEM COLLECTING WELFARE...NOW HONESTLY..HAVE YOU EVER MET AN HONEST SALESMAN

JamesCB
Unregistered guest
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "DIGITAL LOUDSPEAKER". The Meridians accept a digital signal, but that is only because the amplification is built into the enclosure. The signal is changed to analog prior to reaching the drivers.

On topic: Anyone who says Theater Research is good, or sounds good, has NO experience with quality sound reproduction.

James

tatto a target on me
Unregistered guest
i know u little faggggggots read this shiiit Eat a diick. naa good sceam i like the flyer shiit, i'll get rid of them for more n buy a fat surround sound. U got me. I'll never knock a mans hussle. Just be easy Who U do it too.

Unregistered guest
TWO GUYS, BOTH STONED....BLUE EXPLORER...ONE WAS A SMALL ORIENTAL LOOKING GUY..OTHER A 20-25 YEAR OLD WHITE MALE, BROWN HAIR....SAME SCAM...FARMINGTON HILLS, MICHIGAN....BOUGHT A PAIR OF TR-1400'S FOR $200.00...JUST BOUGHT THEM AND SOMEONE SHOWED ME THIS SIGHT.....THEY ARE NICE LOOKING...I SURE HOPE THEY AT LEAST WORK....BOY, DO I FEEL STUPID

mikeinsugarland
Unregistered guest
Apparently, this scam have gone international, being "franchise" all over the place.

Read http://www.scanked.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7

jason pimpdaddy
Unregistered guest
i have dealt w these guys for about 2 yrs now and never had a prob w/ any of tha products.these speakers BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those who feel they got scammed r just jealous they cant have an operation like that.LEAVE EM ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Neva' a Sucka'!
Unregistered guest
You buyers are fools! This scam has been around for at least 30 years in Massachusetts. The guys in the white van are trying to rip you off. These speakers might sound ok at first, but in the long run are pieces of s**t. The last time I was approached by these maggots was last Feb. at Stop & Shop plaza Mansfield, MA. When I told them I knew of their litlle scam, the driver got really angry and called me an a**hole. I then noticed a Mansfield PD car in the lot and waved to get them over. The morons beat feet right away. If they were legit then they would have no problem speaking with a police officer. Be warned suckers!

Username: Flynavy

Anyone who shops for speakers at Wal-Mart can't have a clue what good speakers sound like. The people who say things like "these beat speakers I bought at best buy" wouldn't know good sound if it ran them over. These speakers are crap, woofers and tweeters purchased at Radio Shack and put in a plywood box do not make good speakers. If you bought these and are happy with them, then its people like you who keep Wal-mart and radio shack in the business they're in. Good speakers are Dynaudio, Krell, Velodyne. Good speakers don't get hocked out of a Van in some sleazy mall parking lot.

danny from az
Unregistered guest
I was in mesa,az and they got me to buy 2 sets of thedr750sl I am a dumbass for faslling for it because the sound like sh*t and I blew them the first time I tried putting any power through them and I paid 1000 for them

Scrapy2585
Unregistered guest
I got the TR-5210 modle from a pawn shop for like $91+change (after tax) in west mesa, az and so far I'm kool wit them. Put some power to 'em and they sound good enough for 92 bucks. If you paid more i feel sorry for you but I took them apart and every thing has quality, from the "Radio Shack tweeters" to the "particle board" LOL. I don't feel I got ripped off but If you bought them without some kind of implied warranty (in writing) then you're just stupid anyway and you deserve to get ripped off.

P.S. SELLERS quit your sh*t cause If you try to sell 'em to me i'll put a bullet in your head and take them.

Anonymous

Yea..I hope they will approach me too cuz I'd like shoot their balls off

someonewatching
Unregistered guest
neither one of you will do anything... I'll sell you both cause yall can't do nothin' about it... cause you're both just blind to the fact that we can sell anything to anybody... and even 91 bucks is getting sold so Scrappy... BAHHHHHHHHHHHH! HAHAHAHAAHA!

Username: Brkbeatsci

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 6
Here's the thing...these forums exist so people can exchange information and make thoughtful electronics purchases. It helps you to support quality manufacturers and avoid not so quality ones. If you bought speakers A) out of the back of a van in a random parking lot B) in a box that had a price-tag on it and C) for two hundred dollars when the salesman showed you that retail was four or five times that,then you are not the informed consumer that you would like to think you are and the only person who scammed you is you. You were the ones who didn't do your homework and made an impulse speaker buy IN A PARKING LOT!!!! Doesn't that seem strange to you? If you were buying crack, ok, different story, but your buying speakers. You all are mad because of a perceived lack of authority over the situation and the fact that the "deal" that you thought you were getting turned out to be a farce.
I got this extra fecal matter lying around, I ordered too much. It retails for about $1400, but I'll give it to you for $300.00. Sound like a deal? And as a general rule, Hot merchandise should cost a third of what it would if you bought it in a store...A parking lot....PRICELESS...hehe

bigdhara
Unregistered guest
hey guys i realized i was ripped off when i saw nobody buying them on ebay for even insanely low prices so i have learnt my lesson dont buy in a car park anything. oh i'm in san bernardino California. what surprises me is that they all use the same lines to sell us this stuff. but hey i'm going to keep my speakers some of you said they sound cool thats great i havent hooked them up yet. could someone recomend me a reciever thats resonably cheap and help on how to hook them up? email me at bigdhara2k4@yahoo.com

MisanthropicMonkey
Unregistered guest
Hello,
I have read almost every post since the beginning of this thread and the ignorance of some people astound me. You can do all the web research that you want to but when it gets down to brass tacks, you are buying something that you must hear to appreciate. you can get all worked up about "well they said they retail for..." but retail figures are as fictitious as the infamous white van. When was the last time anyone bought something at retail, and if it was recently, quite frankly you are an IDIOT. If you have purchased the speakers and not listened to them you are an IDIOT. If you were wanting to resell the speakers and make a huge profit, guess what, you are an IDIOT. I speak from direct experience. My best friend purchased a pair of 1610's from a van. He called me later that day for me to do some research on them. I was already well versed on the brand Theater Research from boards just like this one, and I wanted to say to him, you are an idiot, but I held my tongue, and told him i would look into it. I went over to his house this weekend to hear what these so called "junky" speakers sound like, and i was knocked on my proverbial as$ by what i heard. The speakers sounded great and also were appealing to the eye. I have friends who own hi-end audio such as KEF Reference Series and i thought the TR-1610's held their own. I am currently looking for a set for myself.

For everyone thinking of purchasing some, i say take a chance. If you cannot afford to possibly lose $200 - $300; set down your Pabst, comb your mullet, and go to f*cking Walmart to buy a box of wine. People will complain just for the sake of complaining even if they get exactly what they ask for. Half the people on this forum have not even hooked up the speakers and the other half are asking for instructions and diagrams. To put it nicely, if you need instuctions to hook up speakers, that GED is doing wonders for you. Are you going to take advice from them or someone who has actually heard a pair and know they are still worth more than what you pay??

Anyone have comments, please enlighten us with a modicum of what it is like to be you. Need me to explain anything in my post, ask away. I've got a monkey at a typewriter who does nothing but answer your questions.

Ryan

CHOUT
Unregistered guest
LOL...Well said Ryan. :D

Anonymous

Monkey,

Not to offend you but I think the people that voiced their opinion about these speakers have listen to them. Also everyone knows that the ultimate test for a speaker is your own ears in your own home BUT generally speaking these speakers are bad. I have listen to them and their looks far exceed their sound quality. I can build a speaker that sounds better using partsexpress components at the same cost.

Bigdhara,
If you decide to keep the speakers which I did myself, then I suggest using a warm powerful receiver like HK but then again there lies one of the reason these are poor speakers. There are distortions when turn up loud. But if you buy the cheaper receivers like Sony, etc. then the sound becomes irritating and listening long term will give you a headache. You will hear more S S S SSS (sibilance) then you want. The choice is yours.

Again, these are very good looking speakers.

My two cents and no I do not have an extra 200-300 dollars to try out something that I cannot return, hence we use these forums to help each other out. 300$ can buy alot for us stereo freaks like stands, wires, line conditioner, surge protector ,etc.

Take care.

Just Stupid
Unregistered guest
Well I just bought a pair from off EBay waiting on the shipment. Everything seemed legit but after reading all this dam I feel like a fool. I brought the TR-1610&1611 for $400 and some change. One thing I have going for me though is my uncle is Secret Service and my dad is FBI. So the company that I went through to buy these new in the box factory sealed is up s!@!# creek. Believe me if it's a fake and my uncle and father is on the case they will bring the house down along with a lot of jail time for them to think about what they have done. And I paid through Paypal so I do have some insurance but I just don't know after reading all this. I will post again once I receive them and hook them up to my Yamaha HTR 5790 Receiver. It's on the same product line as the RX-V1500. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/receiver_main.htm

If you go on Ebay you will see tons of sells for these and other Theatre Research Speakers. Oh forgot to mention that they said it comes with a 3year manufactures warranty.
293,http://electronics.listings.ebay.com/Speakers-Subwoofers_Speaker-Systems_W0QQfro mZR11QQsacategoryZ64614QQsocmdZListingItemListQQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsocustoverride Z1

Overkill
Unregistered guest
Before you ruin a few lives why don't you just demand a refund first.

Anonymous

OK, if you're DUMB enough to buy from a high pressure parking lot vendor, you're an idiot and get what you deserve. Beyond that, when YOU get ripped off, thank yourself for supporting the thieves in their endeavors.

If you want decent equipment, purchase from credible sources. If you've taken offense to any of this, please shoot yourself BEFORE you vote again!

stefi
Unregistered guest
hi i bought Tr-5210 , which best receiver i have to buy ? don't know nothing about home theatre...

hwcoll95
Unregistered guest
Sav. Ga. in the parking lot of target,$100 they rock for a c-note,very pleased with the TR-501 set

Unregistered guest
- I HAVE A PAIR OF TR-0212's FOR SALE.
- CAN BE SEEN AT WWW.ibizcarts.comm/merchant2/merchant.mvc?
- retail at 999.oo US $
- what should I ask for them?, they are in "as new condition", no box

Ok so im approached by two men in a Blue Ford Explorer in Vancouver, BC they give me the whole extra stock inventory count speal and then ask how much id be willing to spend so i said i had 200 he sucked me into $260 canadian for the 5.1 tr.5210 i cant even figure out how to set these up and id like to get in contact with the company and get a refund, if anyone else can help me hook these up or tell me how i can find the persons responsible so i can take proper action please email me at chris_w@shaw.ca thanks in advance !

Mike W.
Same thing happened me - Dammitt!! I was in the States - CA to be exact.

If I find anyone who knows how to get a refund I will let you know.

MW

I got ripped off too! I am so pissed. I bought the tower speakers TR1100 to be exact. If you guys or anyone gets theirs working or how to contact the company PLEASE let me know!

Chad R

Anonymous
I got ripped off as well today! Santa Monica/Venice beach boarder by 2 guys in a blue/grey jeep cherrokee claiming to have this top of the line home theatre system. I hooked them up and they sound ok but not worth 300 dollars. It was a white guy with tattoos and another mexican guy. I also hear that theatre research isn't a company. Please let me know if you find out any info on this matter!!!

Hey you guys,

My cousin bought them for $150. I took them from him and hooked them up. The center channel and the other four are great speakers. The subwoofer sucks. It's passive which means it doesn't have an amplifier to power itself. To hook these up you have to have a separate receiver to power them. If your receiver has a subwoofer outlet then it will power the woofer. Otherwise you will need a separate amplifier to power it.

Sean France
He showed me a magazine with it in it. I wrote him a check. I got the guy's licence plate, anything I can do with that? The mag looked professional.
The check will bounce, because I can't remember the check number, and I just moved my momney around. If I can find the check #, is there anything that can be done when the person tries to cash the check?

Sean France
I found this:

www.trtheaterresearch.com

Lots of up on EBAY

Same thing just happened to me. Two guys in a jeep grand cherokee just stopped me on the side of the road here in Kansas City, and played the overstock angle with me. After forcing them to open the boxes and let me see and touch the speakers, I gave them $200, telling them that I was probably going to kick myself for doing that. They had a magazine that showed them that seemed legit. I told the guy as they probably just taught me a $200 lesson. I haven't found much about these speakers on the web...this is the first site I found that listed them

Anonymous
Very interesting... Lots of the same situation. Same happened to me, got the car's plate number. Sounds like a scam to me...

Anonymous
Does anyone know if the theater research tr-5210 speakers are shielded? i don't want to screw up my tv.

Anonymous
Yes, another sucker. I go approached by to guys in Corvallis, Oregon claiming to be college students. I gave them $200 for the tr-5210 surround-sound system. I haven't even hooked them up - just checked on the internet to see how good of a deal I really got, and found out that I got swindled. Obviously this is happening all over the West Coast, at least. I'd suggest that future people post where they're at, so that it's possible to see where the crooks are operating, and maybe even which direction they heading.

Carlos C
Hey,
Today, Oct 16, 2003- I was approach for the same deal. The guy said he was on his way to deliver a system but he had taken an extra one from the warehouse since last time he did this his boss enedeup pocketting them he decided he was just going to sell them..He wanted 500 and he said he had a guy who was going to write him a check for 400. I ended up buying them figuring I can sell them on e-bay and I came I saw this site right here but I also went to their website and the speakers till kick butt and I am happy.. all you guys need is a desent reseiver that can pump this babys up.. check out the website:

http://www.trtheaterresearch.com

the following site is for the speakers I actually paid the 200 for:

http://www.ibizcarts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TR-5210&Store_Code=thr,http://www.ibizcarts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TR-5210&Store_Code=thr

so don't get discourage and find a desent receiver to connect them too..

Carlos

Anonymous
Got me in Pittsburgh, PA for a set of TR-2000's.

Anonymous
now they are in San Diego!

they're in Daytona Beach FL.. for those of you who say these are a good deal and the speakers sound great, I still haven't hooked-up mine and will sell them to you for what I paid for them. ($300)

Anonymous
My friend just called me asking if he should by some. We're in Minneapolis.
They gave him the same lines. Cops have been contacted.
This happened to me 15 years ago. Not a well known scam. I don't think it will stop.

Anonymous
Abbotsford, today paid 400 cdn
same story

Anonymous
They Are In Indianapolis,Just Happened to Me.One Guy in a white van with 9x indiana plates.

Anonymous
DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT

I gave them $315 for the 5210s

Jeff Burch
Same thing happened to me. They're in Panama City Beach, FL. I payed $175 for the 5210s but mine say Digital research and have a woodgrain finish. Haven't tried them yet.

Fuk Meee
Another sucker here!!!!! for $320!!
They've made it to Lowell, MA

Anonymous
Guess what....I too fell for this scam in Lowell MA! Teaches you a lesson though. I'm such a freakin' dum %*# nimwit...

I also ran into these guys in Santa Monica, California and got the speakers from them for $200 plus the rest in my wallet. I drove with them to my bank with the white guy in my car and the mexican guy in the Jeep following me. He wanted to call me up to get the rest of the money (like I'm going to do that..). These speakers, (also found on http://www.trtheaterresearch.com) are not all that bad. I tested them on my Aiwa receiver and they are pretty good quality. The only thing which you guys need to do is to purchase a receiver that has a setup that allows you to control the subwoofer. I'm saving the TR-5210 for when I do purchase one. Goto raido shack, Best Buy, or any music equipment store and ask him to help you hook up a receiver system that allows a copper wire outlet. The TR-5210 runs from 200-500 on ebay. So don't feel bad guys! Just don't buy crap off the street again!

jizz inyer-i
Sheeeit, I just bought the suckers today in Moscow, Idaho. I thought it was pretty good to get them down to $300 but maybe it wasn't. I thought it could be too good to be true. A fat guy driving and some chump doing all the talking, saw the magazine and all that sheeit. I haven't tried hooking them up yet, but thanks for all the advice for when I do. Maybe sell on ebay for retail price of $4300. This is some shite.

Anonymous
YOU GUYS REALLY SHOULD TRY HOOKING THEM UP TO A GOOD AMP. i BOUGHT THE TR-2810 ABD THEY REALLY DO KICK ARS.

Shizzy
Same thing just happened to me about 30 min. ago in San Jose, CA. I got the guy down to $200 and bought two of them at that price. One I planned on selling to someone else for more and I took you people's advice and bought a good amp from Good Guys and the speakers are great. For the price we paid I think we got a good deal. You guys should really stop being cheap and buy a good $200 amp. Under $500 for a good sound system is an awesome deal.

Richard Bushard
I just got nailed by two guys in a Chevy Pickup. Same lines as everyone else.

I hope things work out for me.

We'll see.

Richard Bushard
I don't feel so bad only having paid $200 for the TR-8000. They have an amplified sub, Still have to hook it up and see.

I WANT TR SPEAKERS
Anybody got the Theater Research TR-2800's? I wanna buy them! I found some on ebay.com and might buy them. make me a better deal and ill buy'em.

I WANT TR SPEAKERS
just to wonder...do you guys think that the TR Speakers on the website ( www.trtheaterresearch.com ) are any different than the ones in the vans? WOuld they be any better?

Anonymous
Watch it it happen to me in Montreal Canada (Laval) I paid 300$ can. 2 guy in a van.

I am in Fort Worth Texas and just got suckered into the same deal except I paid 300.00 us for mine. Pretty Stupid I guess...considering it looks like everyone else paid 200.00. I haven't hooked them up yet but they are 2 - TR-900 tower speakers. Just gotta hope that they sound ok

Shizzy
I don't understand why you guys keep saying you've been suckered and got, these speakers aren't bad at all. It's completely stupid it's like buying a PlayStation 2 off someone in some van for $100 and saying you've been had when you haven't even tried it. I hooked my TR-5210 system to a 7-channel Yahama reciever and the sound was great. Very clean, nice bass. How about you guys stop being idiots and actually try what you bought out?

the dude
The same thing happened to me about the two guys in the car. I suckered them into giving me them for $80 and turns out they really do kick butt. I bought the 5140's and hooked them up to my onkyo amp and I can barely turn them up without waking the whole block. It is weird that people are selling these everywhere, I wonder if the company is simply just getting ripped off real badly cuz my speakers rock. Best $80 bucks I spend those of you who gave complete strangers more than $200 bucks are the ones who should be getting ripped off they did their jobs correctly.

Shizzy
This whole thing is a joke I swear. It's either they suckered you, or you got a low price and suckered them. If they are making 100% profit off these things, even $80 is good considering every once in a while they hit the jackpot and sell one for $500+. Lets just stop talking about this thing as a scam and talk about the speakers because now that my 5210 system is hooked up, it's hard to consider the deal anything besides a legitimate sale.

Anonymous
Quick bit for ya'll:

American Sound Systems is the direct supplier of the Theater Research speakers. Then people respond to an advertisement for sales and apply for a job only to find out that they must buy the speakers through American Sound Systems (for around $230 a pair) and keep any profit they make of of them. Plus, bonuses are awarded for selling a certain quanity of speakers. Basically, speakers salesmen are contracted out...meaning they are not directly working for American Sound Systems. Theater research is constantly designing new speaker models and American Sound Systems try out the new models first hand and decide if they like them or whatever. Overall, these are great speakers....some being higher quality than others.

Anonymous
Well, I paid 200.00 u.s dollars for my TR-5210. I thought that was a great deal and going through this forum of dissatisfied and some satisfied customers I have come to realize that I probably got what I paid for. Ill buy the receiver and try to make this work. These guys are good at what they do. I bought them maybe 30 minutes ago and that was in Midwest City, Oklahoma.

eaglev
now in canada
dollard des hormaux
go to montreal

Anonymous
haha they approached me and the cops came...don't know what happened.

How can matt be this cool?
hahaha i was walking with my friend to the local in n out and this white van comes up to us and asks us if we wanna buy some speakers. we say we'll take a look and they offer these "theatre research" systems. Two towers or one home theatre system. they told us the retail price is $2000 for the two towers or for the system. the said they were delivery boys for the company and that they had been overstocked. They also said that these were professional speakers made from spiral aluminum or something like that and that they had installed one earlier this year in nicholas cage's house. my friend bargained them down to $200. just as they were telling us more about the system the cops came up and busted them.

George W. Bush
matt sucks

Goerge W. Bush sucks
matt sucks my balls, actually

G. B.
matt lies about all, dont listen, to the hot dog sucker

ron
george bush is a dumb farg

jackhoff
matt is the person that tped someone

imfat

new jersey
look out for a fat guy round 5.9/5.10 over 225lbs carmel complexion and a white guy maybe wearing glasses 195lbs or better 5.10 or taller if he sticks to u like glue or keeps talking taken. Pictures @ A&P and plates have been given to police.

new jersey
i'v been taken

TR-5140 Digital Series
Code: TR-5140
Retail: $1,999.00
Savings : $500.00
Special: $1,499.00
and has other speakers

look out for a fat guy round 5.9/5.10 over 225lbs carmel complexion and a white guy maybe wearing glasses 195lbs or better 5.10 or taller if he sticks to u like glue or keeps talking to with you, you have been taken. never buy anything in a parking lot...this guy's Pictures has been taken & laundry mat and A&P,plates have been given to police.

new jersey
i'v been taken

TR-5140 Digital Series
Code: TR-5140
Retail: $1,999.00
Savings : $500.00
Special: $1,499.00
and has other speakers

look out for a fat guy round 5.9/5.10 over 225lbs carmel complexion and a white guy maybe wearing glasses 195lbs or better 5.10 or taller if he sticks to u like glue or keeps talking to with you, you have been taken. never buy anything in a parking lot...this guy's Pictures has been taken & laundry mat and A&P,plates have been given to police.

dirty
Well I Sell TR speakers and I think they sound great, you can't find a better deal!!!!

Dirty

dirty
no they don't

yeah they got me here in san antonio
same scenerio blue suv, overstocked didn't want to take them back to boss cause he'd pocket them.
Screwed me over $400, TR-900 towers San Antonio by the way
If you know who's behind this lets get together and kick their a$$

Today, that just happened to me here in Salt Lake City, Utah. The thing is that I got their license plate # and it was a white van with a Florida license plate. I'll give you the license plate # if you're really interested. They are working out of Draper, Utah right now. Did they have tatooes and ear piercings? And one darker skin?

Karl Gaj
I just got the same scam in La Jolla, Ca, from a guy in a blue van. However, i just hooked them up and they sound great. so now I'm not sure I get the scam. These guys patrol the country selling what are probably low-end speakers as if they're high-end speakers for low-end prices? Where's the profit? confusing.

Anonymous
Bought 5120 around 4:00 pm in san diego ca. hav'nt tried them yet. $200.00 in this part of the world seems like a good price. Will find out later..

I bought some for $100 dollars in Provo, Utah, same guys as trevor, hooked them up with a pioneer reciever, they sound fine, the sub is a little weak though. Have plate number as well if anyone is interested.

Hi,
I am in Montreal, Quebec Canada, i just found this
http://www.lespac.com/cgi-bin/pac.cgi?c=0&lid=1475&nut=veb1qu2par99cjm4u&pac_a=o%7cr&pac_r=cinema+maison&t=0&v=4&x=-26460&y=16392&ref=1733654&pl=4&pi=

Maybe it could help you.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Hamilton, ON Canada

Woah, so i'm not the only sucker in this world. I had my doubts from the start, but i guess we're all in this suckerpot together. I figure that i can probably sell the TR-0212s i got since it's easy to move cheap things around here, only forked out $300 cnd. for the two speakers worth "$2000" Amer. if these are good, well, then meh

Anonymous
Oh, yeah, look out for "chris" from missisauga... so you might want to look around

Hey Body...

pay me 500$ CAN and i can says to you.. where you can find the sellers of the Theater Research Speakers..... Its my ex-Boss... I sale for him in the past!!!

marctherock@hotmail.com

500$ CAN - 500$ CAN - 500$ CAN

Mario
Yup Yup, I just got suckered in Irvina California, If anyone knows how to make the 5210's work well I would greatly appreciate the advice, I cant believe I bought some shiznit on the street.

DeAndre
well heres my story. i bought tha 800 watt surround sound system and 2 tower speakers with tha wood on tha side and leather look on tha front. well i bought them on tha street, same story as all of you..i was worried when i saw this site..and i cant say that all of your speakers will work, but i will tell you i hooked up tha surround and one of tha towers up to a 575 watt sony receiver and im tellin you they kick some hella azz. they out perform my moms $700 system on all playin fields. the sound was clear and precise. i was very surprised and i was thinkin about tryin to seel them offf, but im definetely goin to keep them

Well is spent the afternoon hooking up all my speakers. and guess what they sounded great. earlier i saw one of you get a passive sub woofer, mine is powered. so i am retracting my previous statement, i actually think i got a good deal. and i spent a lot less then i would in any store, i know because i work for a store that sells the top name speakers. even with my discount i won't get the same deal as i got with the TR speakers. i am still sore i got scammed but, i would have never known I gotscammed unless i did the research

Anonymous
I GOT STOPPED IN ELMONT LONGISLAND BY 2 GUYS IN A WHITE VAN ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO. I ALSO WAS APPROACHED ABOUT ABOUT A YEAR AGO BY A SIMILAR WHITE VAN. I BOUGHT 2 MINI TOWER SPEAKERS($100) THEN AND 2 LARGE TOWER SPEAKERS($200) 2 WEEKS AGO. HOOKED UP TO THE RIGHT RECEIVER, THIS IS THE BEST SOUNDING SPEAKERS IVE HEARD BY FAR FOR THE MONEY. IF YOU THINK YOU GOT SCAMED JUST LEARN HOW TO HOOK THEM UP AND YOU'LL BE FINE

deandre
my question is this...on tha backof tha tower speakers they have 4 brass connector things..ok..are you suppose to hook all four of them up at a time..i know that you do positive and negative side by side but do you hook both sets up?

Knower of all things
TR speakers must be quality to have a bi wire hook up

KHALIL S.
DON'T TELL ME THIS IS A SCAM!! TWO GUYS SHOWED UP IN A WHITE FORD EXPLORER AND SHOWED ME THE PAPERS FOR THIS 5210 SURROUND SYSTEM. I THOUGHT I HAD A GOOD DEAL!!! THE THING THAT THEY WORK GOOD WITH MY HOME STEREO SYSTEM! I DIDN'T TRY THEM ON MY TV BCOZ I HAVE TO BUY THE RECIEVER. I HOPE THEY WILL BE GOOD. SUBWOOFER SOUNDS OK THOUGH!

KHALIL S.
BY THE WAY, THIS HAPPENED IN MONTREAL

Brett
Just bought mine TR-4210 home theater system from a guy that walked up to me at McDonalds, same story, extra shipment, my boss doesn't know about them, bla, bla, bla...I haven't hooked them up yet...but I only paid $100.00. It sounds like if I don't like them, I could sell them for $200.00 on the street like everyone else.

Kevin T
Geeze, thats a lot of mesages... Well, I was about to buy a set of the 5210's from the back of a car, but first thought it would be wise to consult someone else, so I phoned my dad who happens to be a retired cop who can smell a scam a mile away. $200.00 seemed very reasonalbe to me, but then again, I've never bought anything from a trunk before. Long story short, my dad told me about this website, and I saved myself the heartache and pain of being one of the unfortunates. Thanx dad. You're the best
Kevin T
Corvallis, Oregon

Anonymous
tr-5210 vancouver bc nov 18 same story bought them for 200 bucks. Im confused some say they us ripped off but the site says their worth 1500 so how is it a scam? my sub is passive id like to know who got the powerd one or if there is one and is it the same model #? also how much are these things really worth?

Phoque Anddie
It's only a rip off if thought you paid too much for em.

What you bought into was a story . Your greed got the best of you. You all thought you were getting a deal because of some clerical error. HA!

They only way this "sales" approach works is due to you being a scammer as well.

And hey if you know that much about speakers go home hook em and enjoy

I got scammed near de Zavala Exit in San Antonio texas and I am going to try them out. I was pissed because I was so gullible and bought these. I paid 150 for them and the three guys that sped off in a lincoln navigator were still looking back trying to hook up with me friend and i. well hopefully they will get what they deserve.

Adam g
ALLENTOWN, PA!! i just got stopped today about the same scam, sounded legit and all, thank god i didnt pay them cuz now i read this its 11-19-03 @ 3:06 est., stay away from these jerks!

Anonymous
These weasels are in Chi-town now. Beware. Maroon SUV. Two guys claiming to be broke delivery guys of the TR-5210 system. F*ck em! So far we have hooked up the center and surrounds, which work well with a sony system. The sub-woofer looks to be a pain in the ars!

Anonymous
I too paid for the TR-5210 sytem for $200. The guys were driving a brand new white explorer, lic no. 5DSL331. A young Mexican was the driver while the white guy was doing all the talking and seemed pretty persuasive. This happened at 6pm in Irvine, CA.
If what most of people are saying is true, I think it was worth $200.

hey same here Portland,OR a white guy in a white van tried to sell me the TR-5140 for $150 but i dropped the price to $100. i guess the price was Ok for the 6 pieces i knew it was kinda scam but if u guys can get for cheap, than you can sell them no matter how bad they might sound 6pieces cost at least $100. these guys know how to operate their buisess i guess we should learn some lessons.....

MIke Thomas
damn, fellas, I feel sorry for you, I just bought mines for 400 bucks and thought I got a good deal. Damn! I have not tried them yet, but hope they work. the people that said they got them worknig, what systems did they work on? Which one exactly, the modl number and all, a lot of people mentioned sony, which model number are you talking about?

The van just came into Jersey! Two sets purchased today. I got both sets for $800 bucks. I set them up w/ a pretty decent receiver I have. They sound pretty good, but I think they're worth less.....

Felix
I just purchased today a TR-8000 speakers for $400.00. In North Burgern, NJ from two white guys. The Speaker sound OK but they are not worht $2,500. For $200.00 or less they are ok. I new it had to be some type of scam because they first ask for $800.00 I offer them $300.00 then they immediatly drop the price to $400.00. They had a magazine that looked real with many types of electronic and it had this model with a price tag of $2490.00.

TR SUCKS
Get your money back. Send the company a copy of your receipt ASAP!

IN YOUR CRACK
ALL OF YOU CRY BABIES THAT ARE WANTING YOUR MONEY BACK ARE DUMB AND NOBODY POINTED THE GUN AT YOUR HEADS TO BUY THESE SPEAKERS. TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW THE SPEAKERS ALL MADE WERE ALLMOST THE REST OF THE OTHER QUALITY SPEAKERS ARE MADE. CHINA!!!! THEY ALL WORK UNDER THE SAME SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPALS SO STOP CRYING AND BUY AN AMP! bY THE WAY I GOT A SUCKER FOR $1400.00 ON TWO SETS!! I LOVE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO ARE SO EASILY MANIPULATED. YOU PAY MY NEW CAR AND MORTGAGE. LMAO!!!!

Johnny
My brother got ripped off too, what a looser !!!

Anonymous
Just got approached by two guys on the UCSD campus in San Diego, they wanted to sell me some theatre research towers. I guess they lost out since they didn't take the $50 a piece I offered them. If you're in SD, tip people off to look out since it seems the scam's here now.

Anonymous
No. PAC : 1760582 Titre : Cinema Maison Pro
Prix : 700 $
Description : Je vends un cinema maison TR-5210 Digital Series, ABSOLUMENT NEUF, N'A JAMAIS ETE ITILISE. 800 watts au total incluant subwoofer 200 watts. Vrai valeur 1600$ U. S.
Contacter : Sacha Bure
Téléphone : (514) 731-5075
Lieu : Montréal/Côte-des-Neiges,
Date : 2003-11-20

Anonymous
No. PAC : 1760582 Titre : Cinema Maison Pro
Prix : 700 $
Description : Je vends un cinema maison TR-5210 Digital Series, ABSOLUMENT NEUF, N'A JAMAIS ETE ITILISE. 800 watts au total incluant subwoofer 200 watts. Vrai valeur 1600$ U. S.
Contacter : Sacha Bure
Téléphone : (514) 731-5075
Lieu : Montréal/Côte-des-Neiges,qc
Date : 2003-11-20

Mike O.
Hey all,
same thing happened to me in Santa Barbara, CA.
"Hey! want some speakers for your pad? ...extra set from an overshipment... bla bla bla.. look in the magazine (i've never heard of but looks great)... they go for $2500... bla bla bla..." Yea so i figured they were stolen or something but i had the guy open the box and take em out. They looked great and i talked him down to $200 for the TR-7000 (sorry for those who paid much more than that). Well i hooked them up to my receiver and i love them. No i wouldnt want to pay much more than i did for them but i have no complaints. the speakers sound great and the neighbors complain about the subwoofer (if you know what i mean... bumpin). after doing my "Research" (get it?) on them i found that they are either stolen or (more likely) a surprisingly elaborate scam but either way, i'd gladly buy some of their other products off the street again for $100-$200 ($2500 my a$$, not worth THAT much)... that is, assuming they work like mine did. thats too bad for those of you whose speakers do not work. that set of car subs on their website look nice...

Bat McLean
THE TOPPER FOLKS...ONE THOUSAND CANADIAN DOLLARS. CAN YOU SAY ID-I-OT? HAVEN'T TAKEN THEM OUT OF THE BOX, THOUGHT I COULD RESELL THEM FOR A PROFIT. AFTER READING THESE STORIES, I'D SAY I'M THE BIGGEST SUCKER OUT THERE. CALGARY, AB. BTW, YOU TWO HONKIES BETTER WATCH OUT, I'VE GOT YOUR LICENCE PLATE FROM YOUR GMC PICKUP AND I WILL BE KEEPING MY EYE OUT FOR YOU. I'VE GOT FRIENDS IN THE MOTOR VEHICLE DIVISION, WATCH YOUR BACKS.

Trainers wanted in Montreal
$5-$15 a set + accomodations for the right peeps.

Ask for Gusto 450 629 6696

Montreal has the best clubs and t*tty bars in the world!

G-Man
Other than scam artists, who sells speakers from a van? Anyone with a computer can print out a professional-looking invoice with any price on it and print any magazine review that is phoney.They can print it on a page that says Sond and Vision or Stereophile if they want. Means nothing.

Did you ever try to look up in the archives from the so-called magazine on the speaker review? Bet it doesn't exist.

Always a bad idea to buy speakers you not only haven;t listened to, but have never heard of.

While not very ethical, I can imagine being tempted to buy some Paradigm. Monitor Audio, or PSB's off "the back of a truck". But then you would also have to believe that what is in the speaker box is what they say it is.

Lots of people selling Rolex's in NYC for $95. I think I'll buy a hundred and sell them for $500 giving the purchaser a "real bargain"--cough, cough.

Greed makes people do a lot of stupid things.

check this
Montreal, check this man...

http://www.lespac.com/cgi-bin/pac.cgi?c=0&d=0&lid=1655&lsuiv=.%2f..%2fcgi-bin%2fpac.cgi&pac_a=o%7cr&pac_r=1760582&t=0&v=4&x=-26478&y=16406&ref=1760582&pl=&pi=

Anonymous
same thing once again, in twin falls idaho today- two guys in a white van with washington license plates. paid $1100 for six- thought it pretty weird that he was selling out of a van- but what the hell- then i about s!#$%t when i saw this website! i tried them out and they work but i haven't really put them to the test yet. sub woofer did sound weak though. got license plate number if anyone wants to contact me e-mail me at jjj8335222@hotmail.com

Montreal
one more time check this guy

on devrait lui donner un rendez-vous et .....

je suis de montreal

http://www.lespac.com/cgi-bin/pac.cgi?c=0&lid=1655&lsuiv=.%2f..%2fcgi-bin%2fpac.cgi&pac_a=o&pac_r=cinema+maison&t=0&v=4&x=-26478&y=16406&ref=1770029&pl=1&pi=

I hear and read a lot of whinning and crying about how everybody is scammed.
Why don't you guys hook up the system and give your advice? Most of you are talking about how you were scammed, tell me about how it sounds. Thats more important. Maybe you got the deal of your life!
I am currently bidding on E-Bay for one of those products, and can't decide. Because all of you left confusing messages here.
Please e-mail me and let me know how they sound. TR-5210, TR-6000, TR-1500, TR-1400 and so on...
Thank you

Monty
well put Buddy ... I've actually read about people who were very happy with them ... interesting stuff

Well a guy is up in Achorage Alaska selling this stuff now. Just heard the story about how he was sent extra speakers and his boss was going to get the money if he didn't sell them. A GMC Yukon SUV was the vehicle I believe, didn't think to get the plates or nothing. I offered him 150 for the set of towers and satelites with sub, but he wanted 200 and for me to take him to the strip club. So I refused his offer and didn't get them, and from the sounds of it was a good thing. Almost seems like this should be reported to the Better Business Bureau, I'm sure the IRS would like to get a hold of these guys :).

man
Unregistered guest
just about a week ago i got hit in pheonix, az. i was suckered for 400. i got the two towers tr- 1610 and the center and two rear stands tr-1611.i knew somethin was up the whole time. i don't know how i went through with it. seeing how they would drop from 1500 to 400 like nothin. i guess maybe i lucked out though because i went home and hooked them up and they sound really good. so i am still not sure how bad i got ripped off. either way i am sure that they made their money. seeing how the lady just before me bought them for a grand.

DAFFY
Unregistered guest
I bought the tr-7000.THE SUB WOOFER SOUND LIKE A CHAMP. LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE HAVE BEEN SAYING HOOKED UP THE SPEAKERS TO A RECEIVER AND YOU WILL LOVE THEM. SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP CRYING AND START SMILING.ITS WORTH THE $200 I PAID. HOLLA!

dan b
Unregistered guest
I was approached in Norman, Ok., aprox. in July, 03. Bought the tr-7000 for 200.00. Having trouble so far, but will probably need to find out what kind of receiver is needed for them. Any advice?

salesman sam
Unregistered guest
you only get scamed if you allow it ask the guy that got took for 2000
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us