Paradigm Studio 20s vs. Totem Sttafs

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1916
So as some of you know I received a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's from my awesome wife. I've been listening to them for a few days and took some notes between these and what I usually have on my 2 channel rig (the Totem Sttafs). Here we go:

Studio 20s
-------------------------
- sound better at low volume (fuller sound)
- better at imaging (no pronounce "sweet spot"... I can sit way off axis and still get cool imaging
- not at all fussy about placement
- fun to listen to
- but sound a bit veiled or muffled on the midrange
- slightly harsh treble

Sttafs
-------------------------
- sound a little constrained at very loud volumes
- need a fair amount of work to get them placed properly (a very pronounced sweet spot)
- lower, more controlled bass response
- more smooth and laid back sounding
- warm, warm and some more warm
- better transients (by transients I mean more dynamic sounds like cymbal crashes and snare strikes)... just more detailed

Please keep in mind that the Studios are not fully broken in yet and I don't have them mounted on proper stands, so I'm sure their characteristics will change. Another thing I found (after reading several reviews) is that they actually sound better with the grills on (since Paradigm designed them this way). I've found the grills tame the highs a bit.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8552
Sounds like the Studio 20's aren't broke in yet (as you stated) because they will be smoother and warmer than any Totem...they may not sound better they sure won't be more harsh (IMO ofcourse). I've owned a bunch of 'em and can't imagine describing them as harsh. Could also be a mismatch with something else in the system.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2218
I agree with Art David. I have never heard any Studio line speaker sound anything but warm and smooth. Leave them on for a few days strait. Like you said though, some nice filled stands will do them justice.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1920
That was my expectation too guys. I guess I have to break them in some more.

Here's a review in Stereophile of the v4's (the same ones as mine):

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/508para/index.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 2219
Weird the differences in opinion when it came to comparing the Studio 20's with the Epos M5's and then comparing your RS6's David to the Epos M5's as well

Studio 20's : "The Epos M5, too, resolved more inner detail than the Paradigm, and its high-frequency extension, detail, and articulation was the best of the four speakers. However, while the Epos's midbass was the cleanest and least colored of the four, it lacked the Paradigm's dynamic bass slam at high levels. "

RS6's: "The Epos M5 was clean and crisp, with a rich midrange and extended highs, but the Monitor's highs were more delicate, and its bass extension and high-level dynamics were superior. The Epos's inner-midrange detail was excellent, but the Monitor's was slightly better. The two speakers' low-level dynamics and lower-midrange neutrality were equal. "

I like it when Stereophile does their comparison's. Robert J Reina did both reviews.

I think I have my mother talked into buying the Studio 20's. I got her a NAD AVR a while back. I can't wait to get them for her to play with them.lol

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11364
Put the 20's on solid stands and listen again, the difference is palpable.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8556
The original Studio 20's could be a bit strident when pushed but by the v3 that had been taken care of and most folks complained that they were too laid back and warm. Just ain't no makin' some folks happy...lol!

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 505
Good notes David. I'll look forward to your update on these perceptions once they are fully broken in and on more suitable stands.
I would love to have your job on this buddy.

Cheers,

G

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1921
Hopefully will have some time to spend listening to them tonight.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1922
Hopefully will have some time to spend listening to them tonight.

Back to Art's post, I can't imagine it being a mismatch to anything in my system. The 20's are on my 2 channel rig, which is all Bryston, 'cept for my CA CDP. I've heard the Bryston/Paradigm combo many times at my dealer and has always sounded super smooth.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2271
Any further testing happen recently David? You listening to strictly metal for the comparison or do you throw on some Diana Krawl, Jack Johnson, Eagles type stuff to see what the speakers are made of?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1969
Tried out some other kinds of music Nick. Some classic rock like Queen and Zeppelin, some electronic music like Fatboy Slim and Prodigy, and even some instrumental stuff - Apolyptica does Metallica (I never stray too far from the metal, lol).

The Studio 20's are very nice, but the Sttafs suit my ears better.

Silver Member

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 540
Hey Dave, give us the details.
Now that the Studio's are more or less broken-in (an assumption), how do they compare in qualities.
Do you find the top end smoother, more airy on the Sttafs. I've heard the Sttafs against the Totem One and they were more polite in the top end. I believe the Rainmaker and Hawk are a little more aggressive in the top end...would that be how you describe your Studios?
Could you update your previous perceptions, ensuring you cover imaging, soundstage depth, handling of high/mid/low frequencies and overall presentation? I'd be very interested.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11403
George, you want fries with that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
Naw Nuck, but a shake would hit the spot. Dave, strawberry, if you will. LOL.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1971
Coming up George. You can supersize that to a 55 gallon drum for 35 cents.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1972
Here's the scoop George. Pretty sure the 20's are broken in now. I've been listening to them now for 3-4 hours per day this week (been working at home due to the bus strike here in Ottawa).

Anyway, I've them set up in my office right now driven by my Rotel RA-02 integrated for near field listening. I must say I really like then for this task. At low to moderate volumes the are extremely neutral and clear, with just a tad of exaggeration in the treble. This is probably not really the speaker, but more my preference for a warm sound.

That being said, I can listen to these for 4 hours straight with no fatigue whatsoever.

You mentioned aggressiveness - this is definitely an adjective I'd use to describe these, especially when driven by Rotel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2272
To my ears, as I have made clear numerous times, Rotel definitely is aggressive with a much added bump in the treble department.lol. That said, I believe you already had them on the Bryston gear with the same results. So there you have it. What did you think of them on the Bryston Power Pacs with the Pre amp David? Same sort of thing?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1973
For sure Nick. On the Bryston rig they were just a tad more "forward" than my Sttafs, which is weird man, since I've always considered Paradigm (regardless of the model) to be laid back, warm speakers. I think I'm just too much in love with the Sttafs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
You keep loving those Sttafs Dave. I don't think you'll find a speaker that's really like that in the Totem line. The Rainmaker, Model-1 and Hawk all have metal domes on the tweeters which gives them a little more edge in the top end. The Sttafs are warmer than these. That said, I do have a real soft spot for the Hawks but they are not as easily placed as the Sttafs, if you can say the Sttafs are easy, at all, to place.

Keep lovin' dem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2273
Nice David. Sounds like those Totems are fantastic indeed. Which I wouldn't expect anything less from Totem. Cheers David.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us