Bose PS48 sounds like a helicopter or machine gun

Username: Jaesto

Post Number: 6
I have a Bose lifestyle 28/35 with a PS48 subwoofer. It has worked great for several years but all of a sudden it sounds like a helicopter or a machine gun. Something like "tha tha tha tha tha tha". I have disconnected the media unit (AV28) from the subwoofer, one speaker at a time, and all sorts of combination without any luck. The horrible sounds comes from the center speaker and subwoofer. No sound comes out of the other 4 speakers. If I disconnect the center speaker wires from the powered subwoofer then the sound comes only from the subwoofer. If I disconnect all the wires from the PS48 to the 5 speakers the sound keps coming from the subwoofer. Does anybody know what the problem could be. I am trying to fix this myself or locally without having to get Bose involved and pay an arm and a leg for a repair.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1834
Fixing it yourself will be difficult unless you're pretty knowlegable with electronics (which I am most definitely not). Getting it repaired will likely cost you more than what it's worth at this point in time. Sounds to me like a good excuse to buy a new system.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11304
JAE, without wanting to make light of your situation at all, and keeping in mind that we are here to try and help...You likey need to investigate othr avenues than the Bose thing, which may work fine mostly, but it is very propriatory in its usage and parts.

I was thinking Les Nessman thumping his chest for 'helicopter' traffic reports on WKRP...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1835
Yep. Bose is fine when it works (some may argue) but when it inevitably breaks, the proprietry nature of the electronics and connections makes it prohibitive to fix.

It the helicopter sound is persistent, watch Apocolypse Now or Platoon.

Username: Ahorratel

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 1
Hi there
Your Bose amplifier Has several cards.
One of the cards, the one with the several plugs that you connect to the speakers is bad.
Replace it for a new one and you are good to go for several more years. Keep enjoying the Bose sound quality.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13481

Take it to a repair shop. Obviously the problem is either in the amp (most likely and possibly caused by the problem described above or by a power supply issue) or a damaged voice coil in the driver(speaker). You cannot repair this yourself.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2392
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13483

Les Nessman and Carlson thought the same thing.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/322/wkrp-in-cincinnati-turkeys-away

Watch this, it's truly one of the best TV episodes ever - right up there with Chuckle's the Clown's funeral.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12016
He was dressed as Peter the Peanut and a rogue elephant shelled him.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us