YAMAHA 663 AUDIO QUESTION

Username: Emmy600

United States

Post Number: 9
I have 5.1 speakers connected to my Yamaha 663. I'm trying to set it up so when I watch my HD Cable, sound will come out of all the speakers and not just the front 2 speakers. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this on the receiver? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 403
Hey there Emily. If the speakers are connected, as per the manual that came with your receiver, when you set your receiver to Surround, Dolby 5.1, or whatever Yamaha refers to their multi-channel 5.1 setting, the sound should be emitted from all speakers, according to the soundtrack. The most sound will typically come from your centre channel, next most from your left and right speakers and your sub and then finally your surrounds. Check hookup, look at your manual for the surround sound setting and choose that and you should be in business.

United States

Post Number: 10
Here's whats happening now - I set the Sound mode to the ProLogic IIx and I hear sound coming out of all the speakers except the front left and right. I put my ear right up to the 2 fronts and I don't hear a thing coming out. On the receiver display only the 2 front speakers are lit up but this only shows what's being input and not output right? So the 2 speakers showing should be correct then since only 2 channel is being input to the receiver right?

Also I found a post where someone has a 663 (which is 7.1) and only has 5.1 speakers like me and someone told him he had to go into the manual speaker setup and set the 2 missing 7.1 speakers to NONE which I didnt do - should i do this?

Also I saw another post where a guy said he set his HD cable box audio options to Dolby AC3 - I didnt even know a cable box could have audio options! I guess i should see if mine has such a setting too then right?
Sorry for all the questions :-)

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 414
Hey Emily,

I'm not a Yamaha expert, I'm an Onkyo man myself but I think you need to get back to the manual and take it step by step. I don't have a quick answer for you.
I believe that all HD cable boxes have some sort of audio preference selections so you should go into the menu for your box and see what's there. You would want to ensure you've selected the right output and system setup according to whatever choice are provided in the Cablebox menu selection.
Next go to your receiver manual and walk through pg by pg / step by step the menu settings for a 5.1 setup. There should be a section which clearly explains this.
If one of the guys on the forum has a Yamaha, hopefully he'll drop in and provide some suggestions.
It's rare to find a lady so willing to dig into the details...good for you.
Let us know how you do.
There is also the support line for Yamaha that would have a quick answer for you on setting up for a 5.1 system.

Ciao,

George

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 11
I figured it out - I'm all set now - thanks George!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us