Hello All

Username: Onetimeuse

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. I need help.

I am trying to connect my computer to my home amplifier by building my own cable. So far I have a 1/8th f audio connector at one end, 100ft of speaker wire, and then 2 rca jacks that plug into the left and right inputs of the amp. This works however I can not get both speakers to work at the same time. Can anyone help me or suggest an alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1638
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMR2

Do you really need a 100 ft. RCA run?

Can you move your computer closer to your amp?

How about using a laptop?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2182
speaker wire works?

Post Number: 2
yes. I need 100ft. A laptop wont cut it in this case. And yes, speaker wire works but not well. Does anyone have any ideas? I read something that says that rca has a positive and negative prong on it. Does that some how affect this?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 401
Both speakers should work unless your connector to the computer is incorrectly soldered to the speaker wire. It would be very hard to connect all four speaker wire leads to that little connector on the computer side and not having anything make contact with something else. Check your connections on that side, that's the first place you could go wrong. Next, check your soldering on the RCA jacks on the amp side. If the connections are right it will work, though with that much run, your voltage may drop quite a bit which may mean your amplifier will need to be turned up that much more, raising the noise floor. I'm sure you've got something wrong with the way you've done the connections to the ends.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1642
I thought the Computer was being wired to that amp as another input, but that FC was using speaker wire for RCA runs.

Using a 100 ft run you not only experience significant loss of signal you also run the risk of picking up considerable radio interference.

Do you have any wireless options?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2187
I am confused. If I understand what you are trying to do, I would have never used speaker wire with rca ends on them. I would had used RJ59/6 cable for a 100 foot run. Then it would be no problem at all FC.

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
Yeah, Mike he is using the speaker wire as an super extra long IC from his PC soundcard to his amplifier. The sound is going to be crappy no-matter-what so I wouldn't recommend him spending any additional money. FC if you've got the speaker wire work with it to see if it does what you want it to do. The other option is to get a wireless transmitter on the PC end and a wireless receiver on the amp/receiver line but again, that's extra cost, so that my be phase 2.

Post Number: 3
RJ59? isnt that a coaxial cable? how would I fit an rca or a 1/8 f audio connector on that? Also can anyone give me some recommendations for wireless transmitters. That might be an option for me if the price is reasonable.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
Yeah, I think that RJ59 or RJ6 is co-axial. You would need to run two lenghts one for left and one for right - a little cumbersome.
I'm not that well versed on transmitters but some of the guys are.

Post Number: 4
is it possible to transmit the audio signal from my home wireless router and then pick up the signal with a receiver that would be attached to the amp? Also could anyone give me some ideas as to what type of wireless transmitter/receivers i should be looking for for this project.

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11302
click on over to puters forum, burger-to-be, they are a heapin helpin'.

Moo2U

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3124
Look into music streamers. Apple TV, Squeezebox Duet, and Sonos are the most popular. They all do slightly different things and have their strengths and weakness, depending on application. The Sonos is the most expensive, yet most reliable true streamer. The Squeezebox is a cheaper more buggy version of the Sonos. The Apple TV is basically a big iPod with an internal hard drive. The Apple TV no longer requires a TV for its interface. You can now use a current generation iPhone or iPod Touch.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3125
If you have a Circuit City near you that's closing, the Squeezebox Duet may be available for pretty cheap. One near me had them for $239.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us