Best amp?

Username: Jmann

Post Number: 1
recently bought kef iq7 floorstanders any suggestions as to what the best amp partnering would be? current amp is pioneer A-204R.

Post Number: 2
Apologies I forgot to mention im in northern ireland.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 391
The KEF iQ series are very detailed loudspeakers but I would say lean towards the brighter side. You therefore want to ensure your amplification is neutral or to the warmer side of things i.e. less stress on the high frequencies.

You need to describe what your objective is. Are you looking to use them primarily for 2-channel music listening? What type of music do you listen to? What type of budget do you have?

If you are looking for music. I would suggest looking at potentially a tube amplifier, which would complement those speakers very nicely. If not tube you could go solid state for 2-ch music, as well. Some brands to look at would be Rega, Arcam, and Audiolab. You could also look into some low-cost tube alternatives.

If you're looking for home theatre and music combined I would suggest on the higher end ARCAM or Onkyo for AVR.

In the end, it is difficult for us to pick for you but you need to get out a listen to some amplifiers in the field. What amplfier were they using at the store you bought it at? Did you like how they sounded in the store...maybe you did and that's why you bought them? Let us know what that amplifier was and what you liked and what you didn't like in the sound or in other words what you would have liked to sound better. Then we can suggest some brands that might get you to your objective.

Cheers!

Post Number: 3
Thank you for replying, yes they will be used primarily for music, i tend to listen to a lot of rock - maiden, metallica, beefheart and zappa, but also some acoustic and classical cds.my budget is around £300-£500. Unfortunatley I cant remember what equipment they were using when I bought them. What would be the advantage of a tube amp, are they not really expensive?!
Thanks for the help by the way.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1803
Good post George. I've been curious about the iQ series for awhile now. Almost bought a pair last spring. I've never had a chance to audition them (no dealers here in O-town).

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
This is what got me looking and listening to KEF's:

http://www.canadahifi.com/review64.php

Anything higher in the KEF line I have found does not provide much better return on investment, so this is the sweet spot as far as I'm concerned. Great with voices and the higher frequencies...should be since the tweeters take you up to 40,000Hz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Cheap U.K tube amp to audition is the Roth Audio stuff. The tubes tend to be warmer and fuller in sound and would complement the KEF's lean towards the high frequencies but I'm not sure if tubes are they way to go for heavy, hard rock..as I don't believe they are as snappy as solid state. Try the solid state first with the brands I've recommended, when you're down to a few models in your price range, run them by us.

Post Number: 4
Brilliant, thanks for the advice. Im off work for a while now, but I will check out the brands you recommeneded and will get back to you on it.The Kefs do sound great with the equipment I have, I would recommend them. Loads of detail and good clear punchy sound, controled bass.pretty cheap now as well.I just think Im limited with the amp and cd player, they're quite old now.Just think the Kefs are capable of more.again thanks for your help, appreciate it.Have a good Christmas.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13215

IMO the "best" amp for any speaker is one that's paid for and has been for a number of years.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 951
And fits the H X W X D criteria of it's home?

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
No the "BEST" amp is the one that you have that someone else has paid for - though some of us are not so fortunate.

Jason, no problem. We'll wait to see what you impressions are. Skip on Roth Audio, they've change their product line but here is a related sister-company in the U.K. that provides some value tube alternatives:

http://www.fat-man.co.uk/

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13218

|i{"No the "BEST" amp is the one that you have that someone else has paid for - though some of us are not so fortunate."}

I guess that depends on how it came to be in your possession, George. Haven't I seen you at the Post Office?

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
LOL! Nice one JV. Postmen have the best kits, I'm sure. Them and the local UPS man.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1647
I think JV was referring to your picture on the wall at the Post Office.

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
Oh, The Wall of Shame. lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11271
America's least wanted...see my pic there

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13220

Hey, Lou Dobbs says you Canadians just aren't American!

Almost hard to decide if he's right or wrong what with the US being "Americans" and all.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2189
LOL thank god for Lou Dobbs EH!!!lol

Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 9
Jason, this is certainly a very losded question. But from what i can see, you have gotten some good advice already. Here, for research purposes, this might do you some good.

http://www.hometheaterreview.com/equipment-reviews/audio-reviews/multi-channel-a mplifier-reviews/multi-channel_amplifier_reviews_wiki_information001193.php

Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 10
Does anyone out there remember the old classic amps. Dynaco, Crown, phase Linear - which became Carver, then Sunfire. Dynaco, plenty of power, could go all night. Crown, well built, could abuse it, and it still worked. And they looked great too. Phase Linear, huge amplifiers, high powered, we all lusted after those amps. Sonic Holography, 3-d imaging. Those were the days.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us