LSA vs. Def Tech

Username: Wannabaudiophile

Lewisville, NC United States

Post Number: 1
I am compiling a new home theater. I have listened to several speakers recently and I think have narrowed my choices down to two systems. Def Tech Mythos STS and LSA signature series. The price points are a little off but I think still worth comparing and swinging the extra dough can be done. Any thoughts would be appreciated. They both sound great in the showroom. And the salesmen are just that and they both did there job well. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 442
I'm not familiar with the Def Tech units, but have heard the LSA speakers...although not the signature or reference. They were pretty impressive, and at a very reasonable price...about $1000 as I recall. They were setup in a decent listening room when I heard them, and the soundstage from those little speakers was outstanding, and the midrange is very sweet...no edge at all...but not recessed either, and they had decent bass for a small bookshelf. Now, I was listening to them on very expensive equipement (LSA reference amp), and results can vary greatly with lesser equipment.

The signature series is aledgedly even better (updated xo), and I think the reference speaker gets a ribbon tweeter. But the price goes up considerably.

Are these the only two speaker brands available to you, or have you narrowed it down to these two ? In that price range there are oodles of options.

Post Number: 2
Many speakers available, Monitor Audio, Definative Technology, Paradigm, Jamo, PSB, B&W, Wilson, Martin Logan, etc. Based on price and sound I had kinda narrowed it down to those two. I really like B&W, but the exchange rate is killing the buyability on those. I am leaning toward LSA, but I don't know alot about them and a salesman can always make their speakers sound great in their listening room.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 394
Two very different speakers i.e. the DefTech vs. LSA. What would you say are the difference in sound. I would think the LSA would outperform the DefTech from a music perspective. Share the qualities you like in each of the brands. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1804
I've heard the DefTech before, sounded fine for HT but not overly musical. A fairly recent issue of Stereophile raved about them. I didn't get it. I take the Monitor Audio over the DefTech in a heartbeat.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8437
I'd never heard of LSA before this thread...good God gear I've never heard. The amps sure are ugly beasts...look like DK's. The entry level LSA monitor looks intrigueing. Guess I'll have to go and see if Kurt up at Echo has any in stock.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3121
"I am leaning toward LSA, but I don't know alot about them and a salesman can always make their speakers sound great in their listening room."

What's to stop you from doing the same things to make them sound great in your room? Speaker set up and placement isn't a gimmick. If they're using gear that's way above what you own or they don't carry what you own, ask to bring in your gear. If they don't allow it, ask to take home a demo pair overnight.

Some dealers don't allow people to bring in their own gear due to a few understandable reasons.

Post Number: 3
I had never heard of LSA either, I went to hear the PSB Synchrony, which every wag raves about and the guy had me listen to the LSA as well. I liked the LSA a lot better, I was hoping someone knew something about how they sound outside the showroom. I just figured good speakers might be better known than these. I am strongly leaning toward the LSA, but am skittish because of such little information available out there.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 443
Make sure you know what you'd do with them if you had trouble.

Art, good eye....LSA is DK, purchased a few years back. Good gear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us