PS3 and alternative for audiophile CDP????

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 365
I'm considering seriously getting a PS3 for BlueRay primarily but also to replace my budget Samsung DVD player as my main CD source. I've heard the the PS3 is a quality source - see the following thread/quote as an example:

http://sonyfanboy.wordpress.com/2007/09/11/sony-ps3-to-upscale-cd/

If you connect your PS3 via Optical Cable or HDMI to your Receiver you might be able to enjoy upscaled CD quality songs.

Just enable the "44.1KHz/88.2KHz&196.4KHz" Option in the Audio Menu under Settings and ensure that your Receiver is equipped with a 24bit 196.4KHz digital-to-analogue converter. Play around with the Filter/Bitmapping option.

You'll find the playback much better than before with a better spatial experience, a greater punch and more authentic mid-tones for great vocals.

The Sony PS3 is a great audio-player - "listen and see...".

Does anyone have experience with using a PS3 or have you read or hear the same great things about it's CDP capability?

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
It's so quiet on this thread. I guess I'll just talk to myself. Isn't anybody excited about a potential purchase my wife if 100% supportive of? LOL

Here's another older link on the audio capabilities of the PS3:

Since, I'll be using the HDMI connection, I'll be leveraging the BurrBrown D/A converters in my Onkyo 805, which are very high quality. The PS3 will essentially be a high sampling transport.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
OOps the link didn't work - here's the text:

Sony to turn PS3 into state of the art audiophile player
December 7th, 2006 · No Comments
Sony will release a firmware upgrade for the PlayStation 3 on December 7 which will begin to transform the games console into a state of the art audio player. The firmware will add 88KHz and 176KHz sampling for CD in addition to 44.1KHz.
The update is just the start of a program of refinements which take advantage of the incredible processing power of the Cell processor at the heart of the PS3. A senior Japanese spokesman declared that the upgrade is the start of a paradigm shift in the world of audio video.
Unlike Sony's debut Blu-ray player, the PS3 plays CDs and Super Audio CDs as standard, both in stereo and multichannel format. Sony's aim is to transform its new games console into a radical alternative to traditional audiophile CD players.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3119
Very interesting, George, I have no experience with the PS3, and I'm guessing very few here do as well. Hence the silence. I believe Frank Abela has some experience with it, believe it or not. If so, he probably hasn't seen the thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
Yeah, I thought so Stu. 6Moons hailed the old PS1 in it's first generation as being a CDP to rekon with. I would think is someways the PS3 has moved ahead. Again, Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio are lossless bit for bit copies of the digital studio recording, so if it was recorded in digital, you shouldn't be losing anything.

We'll see if someone comes in with any comments. I'm sure the PS3 performs for HT, no question there, but audio is another story.

Here's another review from a Canadian Magazine on the PS3:

http://www.canadahifi.com/review61.php

Noteworthy is that they used Sinclair Audio speakers in the test, as these were one of their reference speakers at the time.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 441
Hey George, I haven't heard the PS3 as an audio source, although I have watched Blueray movies with one which looked awesome. I usually have a healthy amount of skepticism for any device that claims to do all things well. There has to be compromises somewhere. If the focus is on gaming and graphics, it makes sense that the HD playback would be decent. However, audio is clearly not the primary focus, so I wouldn't expect too much from it....but I'm speculating entirely. I would guess it's playback capability would be in the same order as my Oppo, which isn't that bad. I use the digital coax connection out to my DAC, and it works quite well. I'm sure there are much better transports, but I'm thinking of investing more in a computer based front end for my DAC, not a better disk reader.

As a matter of fact, I happend to know that Santa has something special in store for me....since I've been such a good boy this year.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3120
George,

Take the PS1 reviews with a grain of salt. I had one when they were the current game console. Yes it was the original that everyone raves about, and no it wasn't better than my NAD CDP at the time. Not even close.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2183
The PS3 DOES do everything it is suppose to well. Not sure about as a cdp though. Too bad it has no good games for the system.lol I hope you only use it as a blu ray player and cdp if you get one George. If not, buy a 360 and save for a CDP.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1806
When I was shopping around for (another) Blu-ray player, most every review I read raved about the PS3 as a BDP. Even though it's a profile 1.0 player. Anyway, I know this doesn't help you much George. If you used this is as your CDP, you'd have to use the game controller as your CD remote. That would kinda suck, although I read that you can use IR remotes with the PS3 (?).

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1807
Oh yeah, I ended up buying a Sony BDP-S550. It's awesome man, I highly recommend it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
Thanks guys for the input.
I'll be using primarily for BlueRay and surround audio. Secondary use is a transport utilizing the HDMI - I'm sure it will kick my current Samsung DVR to the curb. I may use it for the rare gaming, like sports games since my brother has it and his friend and it's a free web gaming site for PS3 owners. It has a wireless card built in so it can connect to my router and stream and by the way the new one has a 80 gig harddrive...can you say media computer.
Dave - the bluetooth remote is only $24 bucks, so I won't be using the hand controller to operate the BlueRay functions etc. Already bought my brother a remote for his.
The thing looks quite cool to me...kinda Spiderman like and can stand on one end which works for the room I don't quite have in my stand, since I got my 3B-ST. Oh, and finally, my wife is 100% for it, which is rare. The PS3 is now profile 2.0 with firmware. See this link:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080118-new-nlu-ray-2-0-spec-makes-ps3-the -most-future-proof-player.html

The thing is really futureproof with the network capabilities it has and down the line, past warranty and such, I'm sure there will be a ton of modifications to be had. For $399 cdn + $24 for the remote, it's hard to beat. Standalone BlueRay players can now be had for $250 brand new but don't have the flexability or the harddrive. I think I'm sold on it and if it provides the transport benefits that will be all the better. In any case it will step me into BlueRay, which it does exceptionally well and provide me with a better CD source than I have right now.

Cheers guys.

I welcome any other thoughts you guys have. Any other suggestions, given my priorities. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
Oh Dave. Just caught on. That's your second BlueRay player, is it not? You traded up in functions? Was it just the profile 2.0 and the analogue outputs that got you to move. What would you say sold you on the Sony BDP-S550? How does the CD sound compare to your Cambridge when using the analogue outputs...I'd be very interested in that.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1808
It's my third BDP George. I had a Sharp unit about a year ago and it was absolutely terrible. It froze up playing SD-DVDs consistently, and probably 75% of the blu-rays I tried wouldn't even load. I brought it back within two weeks. Then this past summer I picked up a Samsung BD-P1400 on sale. It was actually not bad for a profile 1.0 player, till I upgraded the firmware. Then it became very wonky.

I decided if I was gonna buy another BDP, I was gonna make sure I bought a 2.0 profile player and spend a few extra bucks. The analogue outs definitely were a big feature for me. DTS-HD sounds awesome. Haven't tried playing a CD on it yet... been meaning to. Will let you know when I do!

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
Good for you Dave. You bought a winner. That Sony BDP has good reviews and solid return on investment. The best buy is the 350 but the 550 offers more functionality. I would be between the 550 and the PS3. For BlueRay, I think Sony is were it's at. The invented the technology and know it inside out and upside down. As well, they have a real strong stake in it's success so they aim to please with their product.

Yes, please do let me know how the sound compares to your Cambridge CDP. Cheers bud!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1817
Hey George, listening to a CD on the Sony right now using the analogue outs. It actually sounds pretty darned good. Not as good as my CA, but pretty respectable.

Iron Maiden... rock on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
Given it's a Sony, I wonder if the digital out i.e. HDMI would be better. However, you would need a good D/A converter, not sure if you've got a good one on your AVR.
My Onkyo has the Burr-Brown 192/24-bit DAC, which is better then a number of CDP's, so I'm hoping that will smooth out the sound. We'll see.
New Iron Maiden - enjoy.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1819
I have no idea if my CA AVR has a DAC. Never had a need to find that out before. I'll probably be picking one of the new CA DACMagics pretty soon anyway ;-)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11285
I have the same Sony player, havnt tried audio yet.
DVD played just kinda ok with HDMI to 1080i display.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1825
Have you tried out a blu-ray disc on it yet Nuck? Watched Kung-Fu Panda last night with the kids and the PQ and the TrueHD audio was outstanding.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11289
Shopping today DM. I doubt that I will get that film, however.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1826
Ha ha... yeah, it helps to have kids. The Dark Knight picture quality on blu-ray was absolutely astounding (even though I didn't really like the movie all that much).

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
Hey Dave, you watching in 1080p or stuck like me with 720p still?
My brother has got the PS3 with his 52" Sony XBR 1080p and the Blu-Ray is just amazing on that.
I'll start with the Blu-Ray and then make the move to a 1080p 60" panel maybe in a year or two.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1827
My TV only does 1080i, but I'm very happy with the picture quality. In fact, I've seen few plasmas, and even fewer LCDs that look as good as my TV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
Good for you Dave. Glad you're enjoying it.
You gotta get that Wall-E movie on Blue-Ray. I heard that the Blue-Ray quality for that movie and all Pixar movies is actually identical to the 2K master video used to create and edit.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1828
We watched Wall-E, but in SD. Even that was pretty impressive.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8473
I picked up the Samsung BD-P1500 yesterday at Costco for $179 and the only caveat I have is that it doesn't have a digital coax out and my receiver doesn't support HDMI so I had to use the optical digital out. Sounded pretty damn good. The Blu-ray picture quality is gorgeous.

The DVD upconverting is supposedly not as good as my Oppo...but we A/B'd last night with the movie Dark City and preferred the look of the Sammy. Sound was a little richer with the coax digital out of the Oppo using a fairly spendy Tributaries coax cable however it was clearer using my Bettercables optical cable on the Sammy. All in all a damn good buy at $179.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1830
Is the 1500 profile 2.0 Art?

Silver Member

Post Number: 440
Good for you Art. I'm so glad there isn't a format war. I'm also very happy that Blu-ray won.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8474
No David it's 1.1 I think. What difference will I notice other than no BD Live (which I don't care about)?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1831
I don't think you should notice any difference at all. Hopefully you won't have any trouble playing of the newer blu-ray discs. I've heard that some of the newer movies require firmware updates to be viewed. I found that when I had my older BDP's. So far the new Sony has been flawless.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8475
The Dark Knight went quite well last night...

I swore that when I finally picked up a Blu-ray player that my first disc would be Across the Universe and it was...

This player will eventually wind up in the bedroom with the 40 inch Sammy that it's connected to in the living room after we get a 50 inch...probably this coming spring for the TV and a little later for the player.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1832
You buying plasma or LCD when you get your 50" Art?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11295
Times are tight, Art, but quality toys are widely available for great prices. You will find the balance.

Cheers!

And send me a few questions to add, man.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8477
We're looking at both David. My wife favors the LCD's and I'm remaining open minded. Problem with Plasma is getting it home as the only way to fit it in the car is lying sideways and I hear that isn't too good for Plasma.

I really didn't understand what questions you were asking for Nuck. I'll reread the first post of the thread.

"Times are tight, Art, but quality toys are widely available for great prices. You will find the balance."

Not sure what that means. My wife and I are acutely aware of the tight times as we are both social workers and work for the State of Oregon Department of Human Services...we're doin' a whole lot of business right now. We both also give to charities of various sorts. You wouldn't believe how much social workers are targeted by charities. They generally know that we are easy targets. We both participated in a fund raiser at lunch on our last day of work before our vacation.

Poverty...man it's big business and right now business is good. In my 10 years as a social worker I have never seen so many non traditional applicants...everything from real estate consultants to engineers...all applying for services. It will get better as there is a light just around the corner.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1833
I've heard that too. I want to get an LCD for down in my rec-room. I'd like to mount it on the wall and get rid of my Sony rear-projection that's taking up too much space. I'll be hitting the big-box websites on boxing day for (hopefully) a good deal.

Oh yeah, the only reason I'm buying an LCD for the rec-room is that my son will be playing XBox on it. Otherwise I'd get another plasma.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8480
The Panasonic model that is one up from their entry level model is quite tempting. Well priced with excellent performance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2192
Way to go on the Blu-Ray Art. You wont see DVD's in a few years as the Blu Ray craze is out of control. Its is a beautiful format.

Plasma definitely has the edge in picture quality. But like David said, if you a gamer a LCD is a must. Plus if the room your putting it in has windows everywhere and lots of light during the day, again a LCD is a must. If none of that is a factor, a Plasma is the best picture you can buy. Smokes the LCD's. My next tv, if it isnt a HD Projector and screen will be either a Panasonic Plasma or Pioneer Elite(Best picture you can buy, but expensive). Oh due mid January all TV prices go up 500 dollars. So buy now if you can. Cheers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8493
Getting the Plasma home is the issue and we won't be buying until March probably. Unless...hmmm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2193
lol I got him thinking. Borrow a truck for GOD sake! LOL kidding man. The new Plasma's are pretty similar in size these days. Heavier though.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8494
Don't know anyone with a truck...hmm.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8495
Gotta tell ya though with my new Sammy it's hard to believe that the picture can get any better than that...LCD's are fine with me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2194
LCD's are still great pictures, and are improving and closing the gap. LCD's sell more TV's. I have two LCD's. But thats because I game on both of them. I want a Pro-Jo again. In time, all in good time.lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8496
Decided to wait. Took a look at the back of the Panny and noticed where there are 3 fans...fans are a huge problem for me in that they make sound and I can often pick up on it if I just have the set on to watch HGTV while I listen to music. One reason the LCD RPTV hit the road...too much fan noise. We'll just wait until spring and probably get another Sammy.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3126
Take a look at Olevia TVs. I bought one about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. They were selling at BJ's at the time. My brother in law bought one at Circuit City last year. The only place I've seen them recently is Target of all places. Excellent picture quality, easy connections, and a great price.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1838
I've never seen that brand up here in Canada.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2195
There are fans in the new Plasma TV's?lol really!!!???

You can't get Olevia here. Home Theater magazine gave Olevia TV's the budget TV of the year award two years running. I guess price to performance is fantastic on them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8501
Olevia's aren't bad...I'm kinda stuck on Samsung (and more importantly so is my wife) right now. How big is your Olevia Stu?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2196
Samsung make good tv's for the money. Best picture for LCD's though is Sharp and Sony. Thats not just one mans opinion, thats pretty much a fact.lol. Best picture in Plasma is the Pioneer Elite Kuro. Its actually the best picture in any tv on the market. You just pay a pretty penny. Art, the new Samsung line of tv's have greatly improved and are a very very nice tv for the money. Good choice.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3127
I have a 27" Olevia in the bedroom. I got it for $400 from BJ's. I'm going to buy a bigger one for the living room soon, and rotate the Sony to the stereo room.

For some reason or another, the smaller Olevias are only 720i, whereas the larger ones are 1080i. Mine is 1080i, but I haven't seen one in that size since. All the over 27" Olevias I've seen are 1080i.

Tagret has them on clearence. Here's a 42" 1080i for $650 -

http://www.target.com/Olevia-42-1080p-LCD-TV/dp/B001E0E5YW/qid=1229994680/ref=br _1_1/183-0228491-3194635?ie=UTF8&node=293488011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8502
The Sharps look very good under 40 inches but above that I prefer the Samsung. The Sony's have the best picture but you pay too high a premium for it and they have huge reliability issues (not the panels but other parts of their systems). I was a Sony guy for a long time.

We were gonna go down to Eugene and pick up a new set today with the ole' Video Only card but decided to wait until tax time.

The Pioneer is fabulous...that's one I wish I could afford...oh well I'll enjoy the I have for now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
I have a Samsung 40" LCD 1080i/720p that I purchased about 2yrs ago and am very happy with it. Really good value for the money and their customer service is great as well.
Samsung is the largest manufacturer of LCD panel in the world. In fact, they build the LCD panels for Sony. However, though Samsung knows how to build the best panels for LCD; the engine is just as or even more important and this is what separates the boys from the men. For LCD, I would agree that Sharp and Sony lead the pack.
Personally, I can appreciate plasma TV but have never been sold on it. Mainly because from the sale levels, plasma is a dying breed ( much like Beta ), I really like the brightness levels on LCD and finally, burn-in is just something I don't need to worry about. But for what it's worth, I agree plasma provides a smoother, deeper, richer experience. Plasma is the scotch compared to the bourbon LCD. It's got that extra level of refinement.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2198
George- I agree that Plasma is the better picture, and it is also a dieing breed. The plasma technology is just a pain really. That's why it will die. Sharp make majority of the panels and such is all LCD manufacturing I thought?? Not Samsung. My uncle is the owner of TV Repair Center in Florida, and he is the regional repair center for Sharp,Sony and Panasonic. He was telling me that all the Sony's have Sharp parts in them. Interesting. Either way I would be happy with any new tv right now.lol. Mine is old and ready for an upgrade. I will take a serious look at the new Sammy's. They do look nice.

Art- I too wish I could afford the Pioneer Kuro's man. Stunning. Way too much money for my blood though.lol 6500 for a 50 inch? Yikes!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
Nope it's definitely Samsung that is the largest producer of LCD panels and is supplying Sony. I've heard that from more than one Sony dealer and as well, I believe I've read an article on Samsung having that to their name...in any case, it's all to support Samsung being a solid company for LCD product. However, the top LCD TV's do come from Sony and Sharp, with Panasonic and then Samsung. That would be my take, at least. I'm sure Pioneer fits in there. LG and Toshiba are way down in that area.
The new LCD's have LED backlighting in the top models like the XBR and the top Samsung, which provides much deeper blacks...near perfect now. This together with the higher refresh speeds and processing on the top LCD models have essentially eliminated the gap between LCD and Plasma. Plasma has still got the edge on the lower tiers in terms of picture quality but give it another six months and I think that edge is going to be gone. The major R&D is being invested in LCD from all I've seen and heard.
If you're risk averse at all, go LCD and don't look back.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
Oh, forgot to mention, which was the purpose of this thread.

I bought the PS3 80gig with 2 controllers and a remote control for the Blue-ray and CD functions. It's connected to my AVR via HDMI. The sound is clearly a step up from my Samsung DVR/CD player. Sound is very clear. Picture quality is great. I'm very happy with the purchase. The media functions offer a lot of flexability.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11317
Where and how much, George?

Silver Member

Post Number: 465
Nuck, at Costco. It was a package deal with the two controllers and remote for $447. I got one of the last two at the Costco near me but I'm sure they'll be getting more.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8535
Switched the Samsung Blu-ray player for the Sony BPD-BX1 at Costco yesterday and am satisfied with the performance.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1869
Which Samsung did you have Art? I had the BD-P1400 and was not all pleased with it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8537
It was the BD-P1500.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 395
Anyone but me waiting for the OPPO? Rumors abound. If it goes for 600$ or less, I'm there! It is (again, rumor) being compared to the megabuck Denon 'universal'.
It should upsample as well as any current player while providing the best in forward looking BR play.
I'll be able to remove the '981 from the system and begin using one of the extra inputs on my CA840.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8539
My Sony upconverts as well as my 981 Oppo DVD player and has 2.0 Blu-ray, all for the same price. Oppo is quickly becoming obsolete...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11347
new toys
leo.

let us know!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1872
I heard Oppo has a kickin' BDP in beta.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 451
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd -blu-ray/oppo-bdp-83-universal-blu-ray-player

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 398
That'll be the last toy.....I promise!!!
(fingers crossed)

I've read a few blips on the new OPPO and have even seen a few, poor pics of the working beta unit displayed, but NOT hooked up at some electronics show.

New Years Resolution.....made public!

"I won't buy any more unnecessary toys"

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1883
Speaking of toys, I just bought a Harmony One universal remote. My remote for my Sony BDP up and died on me, so figured this was the perfect time to get one. It's really awesome. It recognized all my gear, and all you have to do is tap a button on the LCD screen for an activity and it turns everything on and sets the inputs. Pretty cool.

Silver Member

Post Number: 483
Yeah, my remotes are now starting to feel like a set of golfclubs. I may need to look into something like the Harmony this year. I have been watching the prices on them and the features. Always walk past them at Costco.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1898
LOL George. I was up to 5 remotes for my HT system. It was seriously getting out of hand.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11361
I dont have any remotes, they got lost in the shuffle, so to speak. I may break down and get a Harmony, but for now it's old school, get up and turn the volume.
The remote wont lift the arm either, so....

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1900
That nasty and brutish existence you're enduring there Nuck. Getting up and turning up the volume? The horror...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3458
George,

I'm sorry I didn't see the thread and respond earlier. FWIW, I'm not sure I could have been much help. I only use the PS3 for movies and torrents I pull off the 'net, and I only use it with the optical output, not HDMI, since my AVR doesn't have HDMI breakout capability. All that said, I do know one or two things you may not have grasped about your new toy...

In the Settings for the PS3 under HDMI, you have two options. One is Bitstream and the other is Linear PCM. Since you have the TX-SR805, use the 'Linear PCM' setting. The PS3 cannot transmit Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio through HDMI, but it can unpack those to Linear PCM and send that down the line. This means that your 805 will never say Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio on the display. No problem - the Linear PCM output of the PS3 is the same quality exactly as the other two, just not packed as tightly. (In fact, an AVR receiver unpacks a TrueHD or DTS-HD stream to linear PCM before processing it anyway.)

What else? Uhh, the North American NTSC 80GB version of the PS3 supports the high quality SACD format if you're interested. (The PAL/UK ones don't - of course!)

If you're interested in a universal remote, you have a problem - the PS3's remote is not IR, it's bluetooth! That's why you can still work it from the next room out of line of sight.

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
Thanks for the note Frank. I have heard that the latest firmware does allow the PS3 to output the bitstream for TrueHD formats but haven't yet looked into.

I have the North American, new 80G version but it appears they have reduced the USD ports from 4 down to 2, eliminated the backward compatibility for PS2 games and removed the SACD capability. I need to read the manual but the new 80G version no longer has the SACD symbol on it that last years model had. Not a big problem since I don't have any SACD's but it would have been nice to have the option.

One question for you Frank. If using the Linear PCM output option, what setting should I have the Onkyo 805 set to when watching a movie with TrueHD i.e. do I set the Onkyo to Dolby Digitial or something else. I know I wouldn't set it to Stereo or All-Ch-Stereo but which of the multi-channel settings do I need to select.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2213
Interesting thread!

Mostly about BR and plasma vs LCD in a CDP forum! :-)

For my own HT/audio room, I decided that 720p was good enough for 50-inch because I sit 10 feet away, which is the sweet spot for 720p at this size.

I had my eye on the Panasonic 50PX80 for C$1250, but my store had sold out. But they had the Samsung 50A450 for C$999: a deal that I could not pass up since it was my second choice display (and was selling for C$1500 two month prior).

That display with a Sony S550 BR player and I am setup for TV and movies until I add a 1080p projector to the mix in a year or two (although my wife was saying we should do it now! She wants a _big_ screen and 50-inch doesn't do it for her).

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2214
I need to read the manual but the new 80G version no longer has the SACD symbol on it that last years model had

Yep. They reduced functionality to cut the price and remain competitive.

As much as I like SACD sound, I only have a handful of disks. I hope that the wave of the future for audio is Blue Ray.

See:
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/4209

Gold Member

Post Number: 2215
Peter you and I are in the same boat when it comes to displays. Mine is also a 720p 50 inch screen. I want to buy, in the next year, a 1080p Projector. You are luckier than I am right now though, that your wife WANTS you to buy it.lol. I just recently bought a Bed,Laptop, and tons of crap for the new house, so my Projo purchase is put on hold for now.lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
PG...listen to the wife, they are always right. Even sweeter when it goes our way. My brother is shopping for a projector right now but wants to keep the price under $2500. Anything you've been looking at yet?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3471
George,

I'll check the trueHD streaming business. The Onkyo should be in auto mode so it recognises the stream coming in. In auto mode, it should switch automatically to Linear PCM same as it would switch to Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD if you swere sending one of those down the line.

Not sure about prices, but we have been very impressed with the Panasonic PT-AE3000 and the JVC DLA HD350 (awesome). If he can't afford the JVC he really must look at the Panasonic if it's even around the ballpark.

Projectors...mmmm...want one...no room...:-(

Silver Member

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 522
Thanks Frank for getting back to me.

I've figured out the TrueHD. I set to LinearPCM output on the PS3 and then set my OnkyoAVR to Multi-channel and that seems to work fine. The AVR doesn't show the TrueHD but shows that it's receiving a 5.1 PCM signal. The PS3 shows in the on-screen display that it is decoding the TrueHD. Sounds amazing!

My brother got an excellent deal on the previous model Panasonic...the PT-AE2000, he paid $2500 CDN all-in with an extra bulb - brand new in the box. I helped him set it up. Absoulutely amazing watching The Dark Night on a 106" screen. Just wicked. I gotta get me one of those. The AE-3000 would be on my list and I could probably get it right now for around $3000 all-in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2265
Hell yeah, I badly want a Projector for the theater downstairs. The AE-3000 is fantastic. The higher end Hitachi's look promising as well.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3480
When it came out, the 2000 was unbeatable value for money. The 3000 is a remarkably good projector and appreciably better than the 2000. We've been playing around with it quite a bit since it has several modes. The most interesting feature is Frame Creation where it interpolates an extra frame (or 2?) between each frame (!) in a bid to beat motion judder. There are places where it's really good but there are others where it smooths things too much.

The JVC is awesome. Seriously consider this even though it's appreciably more expensive - it really is outstanding in most respects.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us