Need Help with STRDG820 & BDP-S550 Player - HD AUDIO ISSUE

Username: Emmy600

United States

Post Number: 1
I am having an issue with my recently purchased sony receiver (strdg820) and sony bluray player (bdp-s550):

I have the bluray player set to bitstream the HD audio to the receiver and sometimes it will do that - I know its bitstreaming it and not decodingit itself because the TrueHD icon will light up on the receiver. But then i can play the same movie again (seconds later) and the receiver says it is playing LPCM multi-channel, so that tells me that now the bluray player is decoding the TrueHD instead of bitstreaming it like it was a few minutes prior. I'd like to note that no settings were changed in between the 2 playings. The only way to get the receiver to display that its playing the TrueHD is for me to shut the power off on the receiver and then turn it back on - it then will play the TrueHD. I've been going crazy trying to figure out why this is happening! I've read all the manuals, looked online, ect. and i can't find any answers or even anyone else experiencing this problem. I would greatly appreciate if anyone on this forum could help me figure this out - thx

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2162
Hey Emily. I hate to say it, but have you called Sony yet? It sounds like the AVR is having trouble decoding the HD audio formats.

United States

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply Nick. No I haven't called Sony yet - I actually just bought the receiver from Best Buy 3 weeks ago - you think my best bet is to just return it for another one?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 350
I'd give Best Buy a call and see if they can walk you through it. If they can't tell them you're bringing it back in to return it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2165
Hey Emily. The Sony AVR's are famous right now for having issues decoding the HD Audio formats. I don't know how much you spent on it, but maybe a return of the unit is in order. Maybe a new Onkyo?lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2166
Or if its Best Buy, I am hearing good things about the new Yamaha's and they shouldn't have a problem with the HD audio formats.

United States

Post Number: 3
I'm thinking of returning the Sony and getting the Onkyo TX-SR606 instead - do you know if that's a good receiver? Any known problems with it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
The TX-SR606 is a wonderful AVR with excellent features and sound. My brother picked one up a couple months ago and is very happy with it. I own an TX-SR805 (last year's big brother) and am very happy with it.
Give it a listen if you can...great review and has a number of awards from audio magazines.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11248
dump the Sony, Emily and go with another brand that suits you best.

United States

Post Number: 4
I think im going to return the sony and get the Yamaha 663 - I'm concerned about the heat issues people say the Onkyo 606 has

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11257
Then you have done some homework, Emily.
I have no confidence in Sony stuff, myorder of preference would go to Onkyo next, but thats just personal preference.

Either option is a good one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
The Onkyo's do get warm but don't overheat. You need to give them lots of room on top. If you have 6 to 8 inches of clearence on top of the amp and a couple inches to either side you will be fine. It is personal preference but I'd recommend you listening to both the Onkyo and the Yamaha before making a purchase. Both amps have a different house sound but the Onkyo's are quite neutral and give you what you put in, whereas I find the Yamaha's a little too warm and full for my liking. Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us