Sound problems speakers or stereo?

Username: Basenjidad

Post Number: 7
I have a Sony STR DE185 receiver and two Design Acoustic PS8 speakers. Suddenly I notice that the sound is flat (no highs) and it looks like the tweeter isn't playing in either speaker. It seems strange that both tweeters would go out at once, so I'm wondering if this could be an issue with the receiver. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13198

It probably is an issue with the receiver. Sony allowed it to be turned up to the point of clipping.

Post Number: 8
Jan, Thanks for responding, but I don't know what you mean by clipping. Is it repairable?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13199
Easily repairable.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-hptb5&p=what%20causes%20amplifie r%20clipping&type=

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the information. Looks like my tweeters have been fried. Do I need to replace the receiver as well?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13200

I don't know. The problem is you clipped the amplifier by increasing the volume control too far, it only responded to what you told it to do.

You can not turn the amp up to the point of clipping, that would solve the immediate problem. If you want you music louder, then buying more power is an inefficient way to get volume. You should be looking at speakers with a higher electrical sensitivity/efficiency spec than what you are currently using.

Buying a speaker with 3dB higher sensitivity at 1 watt (or 2.83 volts) will be the same as doubling the available wattage from your amplifier. The amplifier will have to do less work and will remain in its safe operating range at higher levels.

What speakers are you using and what is the sensitivity spec for them? You should be able to find the sensitivity number either in the owner's manual or on line.

Post Number: 10
I'm using Design Acoustic PS8 speakers. Very old, but always sounded great until now. The sensitivity on the back of the speaker says 90 DB SPL/W/M. I'm wondering if I should replace the tweeters, the woofers seem to be working fine, and if so, do I need to use the same brand or can I use another brand of the same size?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13201

That's up to you. You can't buy new speakers of any quality for the price of two new tweeters of any quality. Call Parts Express to find out about new tweeters.

Assuming the specs are essentially correct on your current speakers, you're going to have to make a fairly substantial leap in sensitivity to actually make the leap in volume you probably want.

Just how loud were you playing this when the tweeters stopped?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 386
1 other speaker issue that goes hand in hand with sensitivity is that of power handling. NOTE:: do not believe the wattage rating on the back of the speaker, it's a valueless number.
It is possible to get a more sensitive speaker, louder with less power that won't take the peak power.
You would be well served with a more sensitive speaker, for sure, but one that will take full power as well.
BTW, a fried tweeter can also be the result of TOO LITTLE power, and the fact that you like it Really Loud.....

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13202

"BTW, a fried tweeter can also be the result of TOO LITTLE power, and the fact that you like it Really Loud..... "

Clipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us