Versatile Set up

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 498
Alright, so here's the background on what I am looking for. Hopefully someone can give me some insight.

I am living in a dorm room that is 8'x11' or so. When I wasn't living in a dorm and had a car, I always had an audio set up and really loved it. Now that I am without my car I am really missing the full audio sound. I mostly want the audio set-up for my XBOX 360, but I do want it to last for quite some time. I am going to be living in the dorm for the next 6 months or so, and after that I will most likely be moving into an apartment. I need the set up to be good for both, and I know that can sometimes be difficult, especially because I don't what the room will be like in my apartment. Anyway, I really don't want to spend too much, around 200 dollars would be beautiful.

I know that that will make things difficult but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1774
You want surround sound for playing XBox games?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2151
LOL David you got to come over to my place and play some Gears of War 2 in the theater. BOING!!! lol.

Mike- anything In Box should do the trick.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1779
That would be awesome Nick - next time I'm in K-Town.

Silver Member

Post Number: 501
What do you mean by in box? Best buy status?? Anything in particular known as a good deal?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2154
lol Sweet Dave.

Mike- Sorry man. What I meant was for 200 dollars you will probably have to go with one of the In Box Home Theater systems. Something from Pioneer or Panasonic should do the trick. Just throwing some names out there. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2242
Here's a real good deal on speakers, but you'll need a 5.1 receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-MCS100MDNT-5-1-Channel-System/dp/B000W9DO7U

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
What makes it "in Box"... I keep looking it up but its 5.1 in box...which doesnt make any sense to me...can you elaborate...i am EXTREMELY new to home audio. I know audio basics, because I did the set up in my car, but I am not used to termonology like "in box." Does that still have a reciever? I am using right now an old Magnavox Tube T.V. Nothing nice, i want to update my t.v. after I get the audio set up. But for now whatever i get needs to be able to work with a simple output from the t.v. It's labled as "monitor out" Is this even possible or worth doing for only 200 or so dollars?

Silver Member

Post Number: 503
thanks by the way:-)

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 434
Mike, let me take a bit different approach. As a college student, you are obviously computer literate and likely in possession of a desktop or laptop computer, yes? If so, is it possible to satisfy both needs with a decent sound card (which you may already have) and decent set of computer speaks?

Don't know much about the XBox interface with PC but I'm sure folks here do. Chris H (and many ohters) are quite knowledgeable in computer music and interfacing with audio gear, and you can scroll through the "DAC and Transports" threads and find lots of good info. When you move, this would not be obsolete as a good sound card can feed to an external DAC and then to an upgraded audio system when you expand. If you can input the XBox sound into the sound card, you are all set. You can then play CDs through the same card and speaks initially, until you get the upgrade bug. [Chris H, please chime in if I have screwed something up here.]

Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2243
Home Theater In a Box (HTIB)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7612_7-5109926-2.html

You can find many HTIB at any Best Buy, Circuit City, Costco, K-Mart, or Sears.

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
Chris - Thank you, I was looking for a website like that but for some reason I couldn't find. I was looking on crutchfield. Just to double check my understanding on them. The "reciever" is just a type of DVD player? It doesn't convert any audio from the T.V.?

Neil - I will look into that after answering this thread, although I don't know much about how I would be able to do that. The only inputs i have on my laptop are USB ports, so it seems like a strange idea, although I am very open to the idea since I have some speakers that work with my computer than I am happy with right now. Thanks!

How can I check my sound card? I am assuming that it is nothing fancy because it is a laptop, but i do have a gaming laptop (Gateway 6850 FX).

Thanks so much

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
Never Mind, I figured out what will work for me with computer speakers just like you were saying Neil...

Thanks everyone for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us