What receiver to use for 2 200 watt speakers??

Username: Asll001

United States

Post Number: 2
I am having some serious trouble trying to use 2 new MTX 12in Speakers see here: (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8623563&st=mtx&lp=2&type=product&c p=1&id=1193451619263)

This speakers are for a fraternity basement only for using loud music off of an ipod. I have wired them with monster cable and my current receiver will shut off in and go into safety mode if i play them to loud or to long. It is a Pioneer Home Receiver 5.1 Channel about a year old.

I went to Bestbuy yesterday...they said to try a 200 watt 2 Channel Stereo receiver. it did not work at all. WHAT CAN I DO??? Trying to have some parties.

ANY HELP WOULD be GREAT!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3112
Forget about your speakers being 200 watts. Its a stupid and meaningless spec that insults people's intelligence and makes them think they're getting something loud.

Forget about what the Best Buy jokers told you. Their 1000 watt receivers won't do 50 watts in the real world, which is why you're having the issue you're having right now.

Harmon Kardon makes an excellent stereo receiver. Their power claims are honest and not inflated. The 3480 is a 120 watt stereo receiver which has been discontinued. Hamon Kardon's EBay has a few refurbished ones for pretty cheap. Here's a Buy It Now one -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3480-Z-AM-FM-Stereo-Receiver-Tuner_W0QQitem Z390015507725QQihZ026QQcategoryZ14981QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Find an iPod dock and connect it to an input. The iPod docks are more or less the same. Find an inexpensive one with a workable remote and you should be good.

If that doesn't work out for you, try professional audio - aka DJ gear.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13169

What did the 200 watt receiver do that "it didn't work at all"?

United States

Post Number: 3
it would just go into its safety mode after the speakers were connected. got a sony one last night and it worked for a while and then overheated.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11239
Some speakers are not going to work with a low grade receiver.
These need a better supply of power.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 343
Your link doesn't take me to the specific speakers you purchased, just to the Best Buy website. In any case, I suspect that your speakers are 4ohms (nominal impendence) - you can verify that by checking the manual/user instructions that came with the speaker or if provided, the specs on the back of the speakers. If they are 4ohms, they can't be driven by a budget receiver. You'll need to either get a more expensive receiver that is rated to drive 4-ohm speakers - this usually means flipping a switch on the back of the amp to 4-ohm or adjusting the settings using the provided internal menu. A better way to go is with a pre-amp / power-amp setup that is designed to drive 4-ohm speakers or even better for your application is probably to go with a used professional/DJ amplifier/mixer that is designed to drive 4-ohm speakers. Any low cost receiver that does indicate it will drive 4-ohms will only be able to do it at reduced power levels, so you may not be able to get the volume levels you're seeking. At the end of it, there's no free lunch, so you probably are going to have to increase your budget or go for something used. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 288
Just a question. Are the speakers for home or car audio?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13173

"it would just go into its safety mode after the speakers were connected. got a sony one last night and it worked for a while and then overheated."

So the one receiver did nothing?! It immediately shut down? And the Sony overheated after how long? At what volume? (And don't say, "not that loud", this is a frat house.) Did you have the bass and treble cranked up on the receiver?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11242
Damn, they ARE car speakers, subs!

ROFL...it don't work, Alexander.

United States

Post Number: 4
Nuck. your an idiot. here are the speakers. type into best buy: MTX - 12" 2-Way Professional Loudspeaker

ROFL MORON.

United States

Post Number: 5
the sony played at max volume for probably close to 2 hours with a fan on top it.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13178

A frat man of few words. Put the beer down and tell me what happened to the other reciever. There are other questions up there. If you want help, you're going to have to cooperate.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 920
Here's a guy who's allegedly in college who a) can't spell and b) can't get a receiver to make noise, calling another guy a moron.

No wonder the US is in trouble.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 346
Alex,

The specs appear to be the following:

Frequency response: 40Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: 91.4dB
Impedance: 8 ohms

Based on them being a nominal 8 ohms, I'm not sure why your receivers are cutting out, unless you're really driving them hard and / or their resistance "ohm" rating is sketchy. In other words, at higher volumes, the ohms may dip down low and stress the amp - demanding a lot of current.

You probably need to go with a professional amp and/or return the speakers and try something different but it doesn't sound like low-end receivers are going to cut it for those - not enough juice.

I'd also be careful about biting the hand that feeds you on this forum. There are some helpful guys here who like to throw out a joke once in awhile. Relax, don't be so punchy.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13183

"I'm not sure why your receivers are cutting out ... "

"the sony played at max volume for probably close to 2 hours with a fan on top it."

Gee, I wonder too.

IT'S A FRIGGIN' FRAT HOUSE!!!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us