6-Channel Direct vs. Optical vs. COAX vs... others?

Username: Typhoon859

Post Number: 2
I have the Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speakers. They have 3 inputs: the direct three mini-audio inputs from the computer, an Optical input, and a Coax input. The three mini-audio cables seem to produce much clearer quality sound than through the Optical Cable that I use with my PS3 - correct me if I'm mistaken.

I've read a decent amount about the differences in quality between Coax and Optical and from what I understood, they shouldn't sound any different. Optical just doesn't get distorted at longer distances.

What besides the three methods that I mentioned are there to transfer sound to a speaker system, not including HDMI and Component?

That being said, in your opinion, what audio out would be best to produce the best 5.1/7.1 surround sound from a DVD/Blu-Ray Player? All of these methods, besides the direct one that I mentioned with the computer, seem to be restricted.

Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 2
from what i understand if using a blu ray with multi channel out because hdmi is not an option the six or eight channel analog out would be the best... it is as i have been led to believe is besides HDMI the only way to decode Dolby True HD or DTS Master on the blu-ray

Username: Typhoon859

Post Number: 4
Out of everything, HDMI can produce the highest quality sound? That one wire can make the best quality sound AND picture. That's amazing.

I don't understand what it is you said would work best. The mini-audio cables right? Optical and coax are on the bottom of the list in terms of quality?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us