Best Bang For The Buck Speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Snmhanson

Post Number: 28
I am shopping for speakers and have it narrowed down to three or four possibilities. I should mention that I purchased a NAD T-973 amp for powering whatever I end up with. I have not purchased a pre-amp yet but I am considering the new offerings from Outlaw or Emotiva once they come out as well as the NAD T-175 if I can get it for a good price. I know I am approaching this backwards in that I bought the amp before the speakers but I got a great deal on it and I couldn't pass it up.

In any case for primary speakers I am looking for towers in the front and probably dipoles for the sides and I will possibly add rears at a later date. I will also have to use a center channel versus a tower in the center because of room design and constraints. Right now I am considering offerings from Aperio (6T towers), PSB (Image T65 towers), Monitor (RS6 or RS8 towers), and possibly something from Paradigm that would compete in price and performance (Monitor 7 or 9 or maybe even Studio 60 towers if I can push the budget a bit but most likely not).

I am drawn to Aperion because they are only an hour away from my house and I have been able to stop in and listen to their speakers. I liked how they sounded but I am not sure how the other brands stack up against Aperion. Aperion has their 30-day trial period and the other models would not be returnable. One other nice feature about Aperion is their vertical array center speaker which I have been told is key to proper sound dispersion if you are not going to put a tower in the center. With the exception of the Paradigm speakers I could get some pretty good deals on the other models mentioned which would bring them in line or possibly a bit less expensive than the Aperion offerings. I have a local dealer that carries Paradigm so I would have to check on pricing for them but it would probably be close to retail. Those are the only decent speakers I can get in my immediate local.

These speakers will be used primarily for home theatre but some light music listening as well. I am not an audiophile and would not consider myself a critical listener. I am just after something that is good quality, pleasing to the ear, will fill a relatively large room and something that is a good value.

Between the speakers mentioned, what would you recommend?

Thanks,

Matt

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2226
Which have you listened to?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1767
A lot of other online speaker companies offer a 30 day home audtion. The only catch is that you have to pay for shipping (which can get expensive).

Seeing as how you mentioned Monitor Audio, not much can come close to touching that as far as bang for the buck. Speaking personally, and Nick will attest.

The RS6 are more than enough. I actually preferred the 6's over the 8's.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3107
All the speakers you mentioned are good speakers. I haven't heard the Aperions, so I can't comment on those. I owned the PSB Image T55s for a while. Very good synergy with NAD, being sister companies. The T65's bass is a little overdone IMO. The T55s have very good bass. The T45s are a bit tighter, but not as low. If you're using a sub or will be, the T45s should be the best bet. The Paradigms and Monitor Audios follow the same trend, more or less and with varying degrees. The biggest speaker isn't always the best, especially if you're using a sub.

The Studio 60s are a good deal better than the rest. But they're also about twice the price, and therefore should be. I think they're worth the money, but my finances, ears, and priorities probably aren't the same as yours. Furthermore, if you're going to make a full surround system, the Studios will get significantly more expensive. I wouldn't mix Studio and Monitor series.

The NAD amp should drive them all sufficiently. The NAD pre-amp should be the one you focus on. Pre-amps are all too often over looked and under apprectaied.

If you're not concerned that much with music, the Studio series may not be worth the extra cost. Maybe it will. It depends on priorities.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks for the replies. The only speakers I have heard myself have been the Aperions and that was in their listening room. They sounded nice but I have nothing to compare them to. One thing I don't think I mentioned in the original post is that the room is pretty large - ~22' wide x ~26' deep. About half is for the theatre and related seating and the other half has a pool table and game table.

I am still considering all of the speakers mentioned and am taking a closer look at the Monitors or PSBs, but for some reason I am drawn to the Paradigms. For one thing, being in a small town it would be nice to be able to support and be supported by the local dealer. Also, the Studio series seem well built and, to be honset, just look sexy. However, the price tag would likely be a sticking point with my wife. What are your thoughts/opinions on the Monitor series - in particular the 9 or 11 towers matched with the CC390 center? Following the less is sometimes better mantra, would the 7 towers be a better choice and would they still pair up nicely with the larger center speaker?

Finally, Stu, are you recommending the NAD pre over the other two options I put forward? I like some of the more advanced video processing of the other two but I don't know how they will compare otherwise to the NAD. I know this isn't the right forum to be discussing processors, just wondering if you were referring to the NAD pre specifically or just the processor in general.

Thanks,

Matt

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8320
Matt, if you are in the Portland metro area I recommend that you stroll into Stereotypes audio on Morrison. They carry some other options such as Focal and Usher that may suit your fancy. They are full service and can likely meet your budget requirements.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2127
"The Studio 60s are a good deal better than the rest." Stu- what kind of drugs did you smoke before you wrote that statement?LOL Kidding man. I got to audition the Studio 60's in the same system as the Monitor Audio 6's and 8's. They are not better, at all. I could have got them very cheap. When it came to musicality, the RS6's were more lively, dynamic, and clearer to my ears. HOWEVER!, In my experience I do feel that Paradigm are the better speaker when it comes to Home Theater. I did not like the RS6's in my theater, which is why I replaced them with a pair of Monitor 7's. The monitor 7's are horrible in the two channel system beside the RS6's, but complete the theater with a much nicer sound IMO. Not saying that someone else isn't going to disagree with me. That is just my experience. The Studio 60's are a great speaker, and in certain setups, with certain equipment, I can see being better than the Monitor Audio speakers. They both win out in different area's.

Matt- When mentioning the Paradigm Monitor Series and PSB T series, I feel they are one level of speaker compared to the Silver line and Studio line which are on another level. IMO, if this is going to be primarily a Home Theater system, I would buy the Paradigm's, or PSB's. To my ears, I like them better for theater, and they both match up well with NAD. Matt, your options are almost exactly the same to what mine were. You from my neck of the woods?lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2128
"Seeing as how you mentioned Monitor Audio, not much can come close to touching that as far as bang for the buck. Speaking personally, and Nick will attest.

The RS6 are more than enough. I actually preferred the 6's over the 8's."

Dave- Totally agree. I have not heard anything come close to the MA Silver line for the price yet. I also liked the 6's better than the 8's.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3427
Matt,

If you can find yourself a Totem Acoustic dealer, they're well worth adding to your (growing) list.

The NAD will probably drive anything in your likely price range easily. It's really a question of finding your own preference, and incidentally, you're not buying the wrong way around really. You should fix on the electronics first so you know what load you can drive (and therefore how much to spend) on your speakers. Only thing I'd say is don't skimp on the source (DVD/Bluray player, etc).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2130
Blu-Ray all the way baby. If your a new buyer, its the only way IMO. Good call Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2227
I'm a BIG Monitor Audio fan, I haven't spent enough time with the RS6 or 8 to say which is better, but I do remember both sounding great & looking even better.

I like the Walnut.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2131
I agree Chris. The Walnut and Cherry are the way to go.

Might I just add that the Studio 60's in Canada are 1800, the MA Silver RS6's are 1500 and the RS8's are 2000. So the Studio 60's fall in the middle for price range. All three are great speakers. The Paradigm and MA sounds are totally different and its all about preference. The PSB T line are an amazing value and a great match with NAD. The Paradigm Monitor series are un-even throughout the lineup. A few standouts only.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 172
Get out and listen. People have very different ideas of what sounds good to them.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11224
The MA Silver 6's that I had were very well rounded and good performers, along with being an easy load. The only limitation was max spl, but that shouldnt matter in a room, as they go to about 110db or so, I think.

The Paradigm 60's are similar performers, with no shortage of bass when I spent some time at Stryvn's place and listened on his Rotel setup.

Hi again, Quinn.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2140
Hey Quinn

Nuck- I love the older 6's. I think the new ones have been greatly improved. But I am not certain about that. Indeed the 60's and 6's are both great speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Thanks again for the input and advice. I keep going back and forth between different models and I'm not any closer to a decision at this point but I know more of what to look for when checking out the different speakers. I think I am going in to Portland today and plan to check out some Paradigms and PSBs. I plan on dropping by Stereotypes and Fred's Sound of Music to see what they have that I can listen to. Unfortunately, I can't find a local Monitor dealer as the deal on those in mail order so if I end up with those it will have to be based on your recommendations. So, based on what I can listen to and get semi-locally my current short list is Paradigm Sudio 60 or Paradigm Monitors and the PSB T-65s. The Monitors are also a distant possiblity but they would be tough to buy without being able to hear them first.

Thanks,

Matt

BTW Nick, I live in Underwood, Washington (across the river from Hood River, OR). Is that in your neck of the woods?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2235
If you google the RS6 or 8, you'll find a plethora of reviews. The RS6 are widely considered one of the very best values going. No arguements here, but I have heard them.

It's hard to imagine MA doesn't have a dealer with a showroom in the Paciffic NW, but it looks as if their only dealer http://www.futuresalesgroup.com/Lines.htm is simply that you can place an order with. I'd give them a call to see if they have a showroom somewhere.

Username: Nh77

Post Number: 1
How long are you going tohave these speakers Matt>

I have a NAD T763 and for a few years I had it running a set of Paradigm Monitor 7's. For the money it sounded great. Then when I started making a little more money I upgraded to the Paradigm Studio 100s. I expect that if I take care of them they will last for a very long time and I won't need to buy another pair.

If you like the NAD/Paradigm sound but may upgrade down the rod I'd recommend picking up a pair of monitor sevens and start saving your pennies for some studios or even signature series speakers down the road.

I've never heard the Monitor Audio's or any of the other online brands like aperion and energy.

But you really can't go wrong with PSB or Paradigm in my opinion.

I also think PSB and NAD go very well together. i went with paradigm because there are more Paradigm dealers here in my area (Southern NH.)

Let us know how it goes today.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11232
If you are looking at PSB's be aware that the speakers ask a lot from an amp.

Even the T series can get a little low on impedence.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2142
Not even close to me Matt.lol Im North of the border bud. EH!!! lol.

Matt you are on the right path. Go audition the speakers. If you can't hear them, then make sure the online store has a trial return policy. But I don't recommend buying anything unheard, so if I were you, I would skip on the MA speakers. Just my opinion. Have the dealer setup a NAD system and switch back and forth between PSB and Paradigm. Pick the winner and happy listening.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
I was able to hit only one of the show rooms today and I was in a hurry at that. I went to a dealer that sold Paradigm and they had all of the Studio and Monitor speakers in stock. I made the mistake of listening to the Studio 60s first and it was all over after that. As I said in my intro, I don't consider myself an audiophile but maybe that's simply because I have never listened to good speakers before. The salesperson played a cd with a variety of music on it and I could hear so much more detail than ever before and the music was deeper, cleaner and many times better than I've ever heard before. I could almost swear that the music sounded better through those speakers than it would in person. I was sold after about two minutes. Maybe this was irresponsible of me, but I didn't even bother listening to the Monitors. I now know what speakers I want, unfortunately I just doubled my price so I'm going to have to put off my purchase for a few months. I'll still stop in and demo some other speakers since I have the time now but I can't imagine anything sounding much better, at least to my ears.

FWIW, they were driving these speakers with all Rotel equipment. The saleperson told me that it should be similar to my NAD amp. Even if it was just a line I have heard from several sources that the Paradigms are a good match for NAD so I think I will be ok there.

Thanks again for all of the help and input. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) I will have some new speakers.

Matt

Gold Member

Post Number: 2144
Good stuff Matt. Indeed the Paradigm Studio line is hands down better than the Paradigm Monitor series. I do not agree though that the Rotel is similar to the NAD. Both make nice sounding stuff, but both provide totally different sound. Although I do agree that Paradigm/NAD is a nice sounding combo. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 380
Matt, you mentioned HT as primary use and Dipoles as possible side/rear speakers.

Why not an all-Magnepan system? The MMG's are inexpensive, frequently available pre-loved on Audiogon and have a factory 30day trial if you go new. Also, the match between speakers is guaranteed with an all single vendor system.
Sort of depends on your room, WAF and ability to place them properly. For HT use, you'll really need a good sub, too.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1769
I find it odd, Matt, that your dealer would tell you that Rotel and NAD are similar. Perhaps he meant in price range? I've owned both and I can say that the two are sonically quite different.

Username: Nh77

Post Number: 3
Yeah I agree with Nick and David Matt. When I was listening to different components with the Paradigms I listened to Rotel, Pioneer Elite and NAD. I wanted to listen to Arcam but knew I couldn't afford it at the time so I didn't bother.

The NAD sounded fuller and warmer (which is what I prefer) than the Rotel. The Rotel to my ears sounded a bit leaner. The dealer I auditioned them at was selling the NAD a litlte bit cheaper than the Rotel.

So when do you think you'll be bringing the Studio 60's home?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 918
The 60's are a peach, Matt. I love 'em with my Rotel setup!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8352
"I just doubled my price so I'm going to have to put off my purchase for a few months."

Sounds like he determined that he did not have the budget to get what he wanted at this time. He is going to put off the purchase until which time he can afford to buy what he really wants. Good for you Matt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Right, probably a few months until I can scrape up enough money to get the fronts. The sides and sub will follow after that. I do have a sub I can use until I can replace it with a nicer unit though. I also have a tendency to accelerate purchases once I make a decision though so we'll see how long I can hold out before breaking out the platic...

I'm not sure what the saleperson was referring to when comparing NAD to Rotel. I didn't really pay much attention though since I have heard from several people that NAD and Paradigm go very well together. The speakers sounded very punchy and defined with the Rotel which was nice. I assume the NAD amp will take a little bite off the sound and give it a softer sound which I think will be nice as well. In any case, this setup will be a huge step up from anything I've had before.

The only thing I am trying to figure out is how to match speakers and an amplifier power-wise. I have looked on the internet to try to figure it out but it really hasn't shed any light on the issue. Is it important to have a higher rated amp or higher rated speakers at a given impendence? I know it is probably not that simple but I just want to make sure I don't risk blowing either my speakers or my amp with this setup. For instance, the dipoles I am looking at are only rated at 130 watts at 8 ohms while the the Studio 60s are rated at 150 watts. The amp is rated at 140 watts at 8 ohms. Apparantly the amp is within the recommended range for the speakers per the Paradigm website but if I was looking at other speakers how would I reconcile the speaker ratings to the amp rating - particularly if the impendence was different? Do the speakers draw their required wattage off the amp or does the amp pump power to the speakers? I don't need a long drawn-out explaination, just maybe the basic layman's version.

Thanks,

Matt

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3111
The wattage ratings on speakers are pretty much meaningless. The impedence is rating is somewhat meaningless. Impedence changes with frequency and is never static. If they give a minimum impedence, that's helpful. The important thing is if the amp can withstand low impedence for sustained amounts of time. The Studio 60s are a pretty difficult speaker to drive due to low impedence dips. Your NAD amp should be able to drive them just fine.

Your assumption of what the NAD will do different than the Rotel is pretty accurate. To my ears, its not a subtle difference. I don't mind the NAD/Paradigm pairing, but much prefer the Rotel/Paradigm pairing. If this is something that you're going to have to save up for a few months, you should definitely hear them together. Your dealer should let you bring in your amp to hear how it would sound.

And also, for some reason I was thinking Monitor Audio Bronze, not Silver. My bad. I haven't heard the Silvers, so please disregard the comments.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2145
Stu is absolutely right. Listen to the NAD/Paridigm combo to make sure it gives you that sparkle the Rotel combo did.

Stu- I figured bud, I was just giving you a hard time.lol. The Bronze series definitely is crushed by the Studio line. Cheers man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2240
How does the Bronze series compare to the Monitor series, and how does the Silver series compare to the Studio series?

Those are closer comparisons, wouldn't you say?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2146
Definitely Chris. Bronze/Monitor series are in the same line. I prefer the Bronze for music, Monitor for theater. Just my preference though.

Username: Bakiley

Post Number: 5
Just my 2 cents worth but I have a NADT773 and Paradigm Studio 40s and the combination is absolutely amazing. I think paradigm and NAD are a fantastic match for both music and HT, IMHO.

BK

Gold Member

Post Number: 2148
Bruce- My theater which is just strictly for movies, I feel sounds great. It is also NAD/Paradigm combo. So I would have to agree with what you are saying.lol. The Studio 40's are a great speaker by the way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Nice to hear more good things about the NAD/Paradigm combo. Now that I have decided what I want I am going crazy waiting to buy it. I am not a very patient person. Maybe if I keep bugging my wife about it she will eventually cave and let me get them early.

I was looking at the Studio 40s as a way to possibly save a little money over the 60s. The salesperson said they sounded awesome as well and that is actually what he has at his house. However, since I am looking at floor standing speakers, by the time I bought some nice stands for the 40s I guess I wouldn't be too far from the price of the 60s.

Thanks for all of the input and advice everyone provided. I think I am making a better decision than I would have if I did not get the help.

Matt

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3114
You don't have to spend a ton of money on speaker stands to get good results. I use Apollo stands and am very happy with them.

http://www.dynamichomedecor.com/Apollo-A3.html

That's not where I bought them, so I can't endorse the seller. But that's the price they tyipcall go for.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2241
Here's another link to a good source for modestly priced stands http://www.racksandstands.com/Speaker-Stands-C7.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us