AVR Video Processing: Denon 3808CI or PE SC-05 / VSX-94TXH

Username: Gcarroll

Post Number: 2
In my search for AVR with network capability, power, good video processing, and 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs, I'm down to the Denon 3808CI vs the Pioneer Elite SC-05 or VSX-94TXH.

Can you experts please clarify the Pioneer Elites video processing capability? Both the SC-05 & 94THX are listed as having Faroudja DCDi up-res/scale capabilities even via HDMI source, but on the forums it appears that people are saying it doesn't? I just want whatever makes my terrible looking Barca games on Gol TV watchable (knowing I run from my HD-DVR to my receiver via HDMI cable) and my DVDs look best on my X360!! Would the PE's treat it any differently from the Denon?

However, for all of the Denon fanboy love, it appears the 3808CI gets an EPIC FAIL for video processing from Home Theater Mag (Google 'Putting the "V" in your AVR)

That raises the whole question on if holding out for the HQV Reon tech vs. the more standard Faroudja DCDi. The Onkyo has HQV and it performed much better than both the Denon & Yamaha. However, the Onkyo's are just too boxy and run too hot for me, which is just not an option when looking at a cool-running ICE amp. And the Yamaha 3900 is $500 more expensive than the comparable PE or Denon, so that's out.

The Denon's upgradeable firmware is nice, but seems a little over-rated.

And then I have to keep in mind all of the great audio features that made me pick a Denon or PE in the first place...its going to drive me crazy. Would love any opinions.

Samsung HL-S5687W 56-Inch 1080p DLP HDTV
Dynaudio Audience 40 fronts
PremierAcoustic PA-6S rears & center
Motorola HD-DVR
Sub (downstairs neighbor)
X360 Elite
PS3 Metal Gear LE

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2384
­
"Both the SC-05 & 94THX are listed as having Faroudja DCDi up-res/scale capabilities even via HDMI source, but on the forums it appears that people are saying it doesn't?"

The latest Sound & Vision Mag's review of the Pio SC-07 states that "[The receiver's] Faroudja DCDi video processing performs deinterlacing and scaling of incoming analog video signals (including 720p and 1080i) up to 1080p, with output onto HDMI. But signals coming into the receiver by way of HDMI pass through without any processing." This should apply to the SC-05 down line from the SC-07.

I believe the Faroudja DCDi processing in the Denon 3808 works the same way. As good as it is, Faroudja DCDi has become a little long in in the tooth and is being eclipsed by chips like Silicon Optix's Reon HQV.
­

Username: Gcarroll

Post Number: 3
Went to Magnolia for a listen tonight, and listened to the SC-05 vs. the 3808CI. Paired with Monitor speakers which were the closest fit, as they don't carry my Dynaudio shelf speakers.

While both were decent, the Denon appeared to be stronger for clarity and the Pioneer was a little bright and bassy both on 2-channel stereo and in 5.1 surround tests. I'm a bit disappointed as the Pioneer Elites are SOOO pretty, and worthy of my Death Star system. Denon needs to step up their human factors design. But with the 3808s upgradeable firmware, lower distortion, Audyssey balancing, smaller footprint, and video upscaling over HDMI, I guess the choice is clear.

I mentioned the PE 94TXH but the guys were clearly ICE fanboys and that the TXH couldn't stand-up to the new SC ICE amps, which made the Denon's performance that much more impressive. Just wish I felt better about it. Then again has anyone spending $1000k plus for any A/V equipment ever walked away without some buyer's remorse?:-)

One final question, I have 4 ohm front speakers and while I know a separate AMP would be the audiophile way to go, can't swing it in this economy. Both receivers and brands seem to have the power & street cred to drive my speakers effectively, but wanted to make sure there was no advantage from either.

Let the price shopping begin.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us