Stereo System for Dorm Room

Username: Davemccoy

Post Number: 1
This is my first post on this forum, and I'd like to get some advices on a stereo system.
Any advices and suggestions would be great!

I'm looking to build a stereo system under the following conditions:

Budget: $2000 MAX

Setting: 10x8 room with big window/light carpet

Music: Acoustics/Female Jazz Vocal/Classical

Speaker: Bookshelf/Monitor Type strongly preffered due to severely limited space.

AMP: Integrated AMP with a decent headphone amp section? Is it possible within my budget?

Source: I would like to be able to use my macbook pro with Apogee Duet until I will have more money to spend on a decent CDP.

Cables&ICs: Hopefully, some DIY type that wont cost an arm.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of details, but I can't think of anything else as a newbie.

Please help me to build me a system!

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 487
Greetings Dave,

Wow a college student with a $2000.00 stereo budget! Impressive!

That aside I am wondering what you plan to hook up to this system besides your Mac. If it is just the computer and with your space limitations a computer audio system would get you through college anyway!

One idea:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/audiobytecomputerspeakers.html

This sort of thing would leave you a lot of money left over for things like food and books!!!

If I am sounding way too much like a person with a son in college I am sorry!!!

Post Number: 2
Hello Jim,

Thanks for your kind suggestion, but I'm looking for a system that I can use even after school years. I just started a professional school and living in a dorm-alike space where I don't have enough space for big speakers.

Eventually, I'd like to add either Naim CD5i, or CA 830C as a source.

"If I am sounding way too much like a person with a son in college I am sorry!!!"

No need for an apology. Even though I may be a bit too old to be in your son's age, it is always great to see someone cares about you :-)

Thanks again, Jim.

Regards,
Dave

Bronze Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 78
Welcome Dave,

You may want to consider second hand to keep the price down. Have a look on AudiogoN. As far as cables & IC's, I've had great results with Blue Jeans Cables.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 383
In a small space like that a T amp with reasonably efficient bookshelf speakers can yield very good results indeed. Or, depending on your tastes, a small tube amp (not one that generates a lot of heat) would work very nicely indeed.

If you like listening at very high levels then these may not be good choices, but your listening preferences lead me to believe otherwise.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3093
Dave,

I'm guessing you want to buy at least one piece that you can keep for a while. If the space is tight, you should probably focus on the integrated amp, and worry about speakers afterward. I wouldn't focus on the speakers because what will work in your current room may not work so well in a future room.

If you like the Naim CD5i, an obvious choice would be the Nait 5i. There usually are a couple on Audiogon for well under your budget.

There is a Bryston B60 listed right now for $1200. I was looking into a Nait 5i when I came across a B60. IMO its a better amp in every way. That's saying a lot, because I'm a huge Naim fan. Its got an excellent headphone section (the Nait doesn't have one), and can be upgraded with either a phono stage or an internal DAC. Either one sounds great and is worth every penny of the price to install it. Both can't be installed at the same time - not enough room. Its also got a bit more power, and has a pre-out/main in loop that the Nait lacks. If you need more power down the road, you can use it as a pre-amp or get a 2B-LP amp and bi-amp with it.

If you're interested in going that route, I'll tell you a few things to ask the seller to make sure everything is legit. You shouldn't wait too long if you're interested, because it probably won't last very long.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1231014526&/Bryston-B60-R-Integr ated

For the record, I'm in no way connected to the seller.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3094
There are also a pair of Rega R1s for sale for $345, and a pair of Audio Physic Yara Bookshelves for $699.

I own the B60 and Yaras and love the combo. I have no desire to change either. $1200 for the B60 and $700 for the Yaras leave $100 for shipping and other fees. The Yaras have been listed for a while, and the seller may come down a bit. The B60's seller probably won't budge much, but maybe he'll include shipping and paypal?

Sorry if I'm spending your money for you.

Post Number: 3
Steve- Thanks for your suggestion on the cables & ICs.

Chris- I usually don't go over 1/3 on the volume knob. I'd like to have a system that will provide me plenty of details on low volume.

Stu- Thanks for your kind advice. If you could kindly tell me what to ask on that Bryston amp to make sure everything is ntact, that would be great.

On your speaker suggestions, I'm not familiar with either. I've read your posting on another thread that you are very satsfied with the sound from Yaras. I'm familiar with Paradigm Studio monitors and atoms and some swan speakers. How are those Yaras copare to those speakers? I'd like get an idea what kind(quality) of speakers are those Yaras among other speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 79
You are welcome Dave. My IC's, speaker cable and banana plugs came to a grand total of $65. This should allow you to spend a little more on the equipment with out sacrificing on the sound.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 386
Dave, if you listen to acoustic, jazz, and classical music at low/moderate levels (as it seems) you don't need gobs of power, unless you purchase speakers that present a difficult load. My listening habits are similar. You should try to listen to many types of amps, not just many brands. Class D, T, tube, solid state....each brings a little something different to the table. More of a chore if you're time challenged like many of us, but you might discover your tastes lead you someplace you would not have otherwise gone.

One thing I would avoid with those listening habits are speakers or amps that need to be turned up to sound their best. There are a number of these. Demo everything at the volumes you listen, not the volumes the sales guy wants to.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3095
In regards to the B60 ad, ask the seller if he/she has a bill of sale from an authorized dealer and which dealer it is. Verify with Bryston that the dealer listed on the bill of sale is/was an authorized dealer at the time. If there is no bill of sale from an authroized dealer, the warantee is void. Also ask the seller and Bryston if the unit has ever needed service. Most have never needed any, and honestly if it did have service, Bryston does things right. The bill of sale is required, regardless of what the seller may say. From Bryston's website -

"Proof of purchase in the form of a copy of the bill of sale from an authorized Bryston Dealer/Distributor must be presented to obtain warranty service. (This applies only to product manufactured after February, 2006)"

In regards to the Yaras...
You sound like you read my thread. Compared to Paradigm Studio speakers, the Yara's soundstage will be bigger in every way - deeper, wider, taller, etc. Imaging is far better IMO. The Studios are smoother and fuller, relatively speaking. Some may see the Yaras as lean, whereas others will say they're not exagerrated. Others will say the Studios are overly lush and warm, whereas others will say that's how live music sounds.

I personally like the Yaras a lot better. To my ears they sound more realistic. But I'm sure their are people out there who'd prefer the Studios. If the speakers aren't placed properly, in a bad room, have a bad source behind them, etc, none of this matters. I do believe however that the Studios would probably be a lot more forgiving with electronics. The Yaras will most likely do a better job of showing what the B60 and a good DAC will do than the Studios will. I'm not bashing the Studios at all. They're an excellent speaker that I like with a bunch of different gear. I think they'd sound very good with Bryston gear.

If you're familiar with Totem Arros, the Yaras are along the same lines. The Arros may be another speaker to consider if they fit your tastes and requirements.

Just my opinions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us