Digital Output

Username: Millerw

Post Number: 1
Ok, so right now I have two big 12" DCM towers that I use for my computer. They're hooked up to my god-knows-how-old Sansui DA-T750 Stereo Reciever + Equalizer. I just got the new Macbook and I noticed that it has an optical digital output. So now I'm wondering just how better off I would be to buy a new reciever with an optical input?

And in terms of what kind of reciever I should get, I don't plan on buying any more speakers (for surround sound), so am I better off to just buy a nice new Stereo Reciever or should I get a Home Theatre? (I'm pretty much just wondering what the difference is, cause they both seem to have video in/outs) Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 486
Greetings Winston,

I would recommend purchasing a 2 channel amp/receiver from a place with a really good return policy! I could well imagine that you might actually prefer the way your current system sounds.

Going digital is not some gigantic leap forward and some actually prefer analog. However, the bottom line is that it may be really fun to try the swap to see what you prefer (caution though, that is when the "bug" starts to bite!!).

Post Number: 7
Ok I'm dangerously new at all this, what exactly is a 2 channel amp/reciever?

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
Simply put a 2 channel system has 2 powered outputs for a left and right speaker. AKA Stereo. Sorry for the confusion.

Home Theater (HT) will use terms like 5.1 and 7.1 where that 5 or 7 represent the amount of powered outputs and the .1 for a self powered subwoofer.

You may find this of some use (please let me know if you do not)

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq.html

Post Number: 8
Nice! That was helpful! And as long as I've got someone to clear some questions up. I'm trying to clarify my options, so I wanna make sure I've got this somewhat right.

Preamp/Amp (Seperates) - Two seperate boxes, preamp has all the buttons on it, amp powers the speakers. No video involved and usually the highest quality sound. Possible, but not necessary, to add a Tuner.

Integrated Amp - One box, does everything a preamp/amp combo does, but quality not as high. Simpler.

Receiver - One box, does everything a preamp/amp does, also includes Tuner and also includes Video.

And so since I will primarily be using my setup for music, and I'm a beginning, I should go for an integrated amp? I don't want my setup to have anything that I'm not using. (video) Does all this make sense?

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
You are doing really well!! Your definitions are correct except that just because you are a beginner doesn't necessarily create an entry point into what components to buy. I would think that your next step is to go auditioning. In other words go shopping and let your ears (and wallet) educate you further.

Post Number: 9
Thanks! Sorry to keep asking questions, but you wouldn't happen to have any reccomendations for a Preamp/Amp combo or an Int Amp that's in the $500 range? If such a thing exists? I'm a student and don't exactly have the time and means to run around checking all brands, so if I could eliminate a couple off the bat or get some to focus on then that'd be great!

Post Number: 10
Thanks! Sorry to keep asking questions, but you wouldn't happen to have any reccomendations for a Preamp/Amp combo or an Int Amp that's in the $500 range? If such a thing exists? I'm a student and don't exactly have the time and means to run around checking all brands, so if I could eliminate a couple off the bat or get some to focus on then that'd be great!

Silver Member

Post Number: 493
A good receiver for $500 can be had from Onkyo (personal favorite), Denon, Marantz, and several others. For that amount of money a receiver is likely to be the best bet (unless we are talking about $500.00 a month). It is exactly why they are made and so popular. They sound great, are relatively easy to set up and operate. they are also extremely versatile.

Suggestions while shopping:

Sound, Look, and Feel

In a store where receivers can be switched amongst different models and brands it is nice to listen to the differences and lean heavily on the one that sounds best to you. The Look and feel involves how things are laid out. Does it make sense to you and is it easy to operate, especially the remote, can you imagine yourself operating it in the dark?

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
BTW Winston,

We definitely don't mind a lot of questions but the same ones one right after another gets a little, well repetitive!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Haha, my bad! Anyways thanks a lot for all the advice! I'm really excited to go and check all these out!

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
Glad to help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us