Sttaf's vibrating at the terminals

Bronze Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 66
I just get my new Mira 3 hooked up and started really enjoying the music and out of the blue I hear a vibration from the left speaker. I've pin pointed it to the speaker terminals. If I tap gently on the plastic frame which holds the terminals it vibrates. I've done this with the speaker cable plugged in and unplugged, vibrates either way. I'm hoping it's just the screws which hold the plastic terminal housing. Both speaker terminals vibrate when I tap on them but only the left one is actually vibrating when in use. I've just sent an email to Totem so should get a response by Monday. I sure hope I don't have to send them away for repairs. Anyone else experience this?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1692
Totem will tell you to contact your dealer. Been there, done that.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 67
David, they were purchased at A&B sound which is no longer open in my city. When you say been there, done that, are you referring to the driver incident you had or the problem I'm having?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8047
Sorry to read of the issues. I'm sure it'll be taken care in no time

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1695
Yup Steve, Totem will not deal with you directly. They will respond to your email saying to contact your local Totem dealer. Seeing as how the dealer you bought them from is now defunct I'm not sure what they will say. Are there any other Totem dealers in town?

My local dealer was awesome. I hadn't even bought my Sttafs from them (I bought them used on CAM). They ordered the parts from Totem and made my beloved Sttafs even better than new.

I guess it helps that I helped put the owners children through college.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8052
Very fortunate David...I sure hope Steve does as well.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1697
Me too Art.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 68
Thanks guy's, I'm sure everything will work out fine. The vibration is only at higher volumes so it's not that bad, but it is definitely noticeable. It might just be the screws that need tightening. I'll ask Totem what the right type & size of screw driver to use and give them a tighten. I'll keep you guy's posted.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3318
I was about to say 'just tighten the screws slightly'. Do NOT use your strength. Just nip them up.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11082
If need be, to keep the screws in place, wrap a few strands of steel wool around the lead end of the screw threads.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 71
I talked to Vince's son Nico from Totem Acustic today. He said he will look after this problem personally. He said he would repair the speakers him self, as it can be tricky if there is a problem with the crossover. I'm to call him tomorrow when the speakers are boxed up and he will send a courier over to pick them up. So I guess I'm with out the Sttaf's for a couple weeks. At least they will be fixed properly by the people who made them.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1705
That's awesome Steve. You lucked out.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 72
Thanks David. Their service seems top notch. I guess because this is a warranty issue I'm able to deal with them directly. I'll be listening to music & TV through the old Yamaha's for now.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1707
I remember when I smoked my drivers on my Sttafs I emailed Totem asking them what to do and I received a brief, almost curt email telling me to contact my dealer. That was it. I was a little suprised.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 73
Sounds like if it's product failure service is great, but if it's owner inflicted, not so good. Well at least you had them repaired and they sound better than ever.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1708
LOL... yeah, that's probably it Steve.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3087
An old Totem dealer told me they're a bit bipolar when dealing with service issues. They'll bend over backwards for customers that bought their speakers through dealers, but pretty much ignore people who've bought 2nd hand or through unauthorized places.

My dealer had a customer who's toddler son ruined a driver (I think he stuck a pen through it). Totem shipped him a new driver free of charge. According to him, they've also been just as good to customers who've bought used from him and other authorized dealers. Another customer who bought from Audiogon (or Ebay?) that had an XO fail that would have been under warantee was ignored. Totem's response was something like 'Tell him to not be cheap and buy from an authorized dealer next time.'

I understand their devotion to their dealers, but I think they should be a little more helpful to those who've bought second hand.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1709
Your point makes a lot of sense Stu. The thing is, in my case, they had no idea whether I had bought them new or used, or from a dealer or privately.

Part of it maybe was a language issue, the response was written in very broken English.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8079
I had a similar experience to you David when I inquired about my Rainmakers.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 74
David, I have talked with Totem a few times over the 2 years that I have owned my Sttaf's, by phone and email, and language has never been an issue. David & Art, did Totem ask for a serial number when you spoke with them? They did when I spoke with them. With the serial Number they would know if you were the registered owner would they not?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1710
Nope, never asked for a serial.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8080
No serial number however I told them that I bought mine second hand...and why should it matter...it shouldn't.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1711
I agree Art. They should take a page out of the Bryston customer service manual.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 75
I agree it shouldn't matter. What if you want to upgrade to a Hawk from a Sttaf, do they want people to throw away the Sttaf's? I'm only kidding, but wouldn't you want others to experience Totem speakers as well, with hopes that one day they would buy new Totems because they had such a great listening and service experience with the second had pair they bought.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3325
Steve that's an excellent point about upgrading, but it happens less in the Totem line since every Totem is different...

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 76
Very true Frank. My wife and I met a guy at an audio store who started with the Sttaf's moved up to the Hawk's and finally settled on the Forrest's, all with in a year. He has an Arcam AVR 350 which drove the Sttaf's as well as the Hawk's when he moved up to them. Source was a cambridge 840C. I just spoke with him last night and he has changed everything. Source is Audio Note with Simaudio i-7 int/amp driving the Forrest's. He said it now sounds very nice. My wife and I are going over to have a listen to the new system in a couple of days, should be fun. Also, we are going to bring a long our Blue jeans cable IC's and speaker cable to compare to his very expensive Audio Note cables.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3329
Steve,

Audio Note is a system concept. Their components are all designed to work together so it's difficult to know how they work outside of the system. Audio Note cables can do some quite special things in the right environment, but as is usual YMMV in the heterogenous environment such as your friend's. You just don't know what the result will be until you try it.

Let us know what happens when you do!

Username: Msap24

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 1
Steve,

How are you making out with the Sttafs? I have the same problem with them. I've had them since July. I've been trying to resolve the problem on
my own, but am going to take them to my dealer tomorrow.

The vibration seemed to only happen on certain frequencies at louder volumes. Now it seems to happen more often.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1727
That hasn't happened with mine (yet).

I just had mine in at the dealer's for a woofer re-coning. Maybe they tightened things up for me while they were at it.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 82
Frank, we had a listen to my friends system today. This was the first time we have heard the forest's in a home environment, very nice. The components seem to work well together. There were things I really enjoyed and some not as much as I thought I would. Bottom end is very impressive, a lot of it and very tight. It's definitely a full range speaker. What I thought suffered was vocals, their not as transparent as my Sttaf's. Vocals aren't bad don't get me wrong, their still very good just not as reveling as I would like. Sound stage was a little bigger than my system, the Moon i-7 probably had something to do with that as well. I wonder if the Audio note cdp contributed to a little less reviling vocals? Over all a very impressive package though. I brought my BJC IC's, he didn't want to try the speaker cables. When I witched IC's it was interesting. Mids and upper frequencies improved as wel as vocals but bass seemed less impressive at first. After listening for a bit the bottom end was just as good as his Audio note's but over all it seemed as little smoother maybe. The bass was less boomy over all, not that it was boomy to begin with though. I hope this is coming across right, we just can't put our finger on it. We switched back and forth a few times but still couldn't pin it down. In the end he was very impressed with my $32 IC's. He told me that he is going to order a pair to try for him self and give them a good audition. So we had a very enjoyable day listening to a beautiful audio system. We particularly enjoyed his cd of Otis Taylor recapturing the banjo.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 83
Mike, it will be a week or more before I get them back. There was s mix up with the courier as they got my address wrong so they still haven't picked them up yet. My wife and I coudn't take it so we unpackaged them and are listening to them for one more night. I'll let you know how I make out.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 84
Mike, did you buy them new? If not how old are they? If you bought them new call Totem. If not I guess your dealer is your only option. Either way I'm sure everything will work out.

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 2
Steve, I bought them new in July, but didn't notice anything wrong until September or so. I first heard it in the right speaker, but I thought I had fixed it simply by tightening the speaker terminal. Then I heard it in the left and was unable to fix it.

I spoke with Niko at Totem and he said to bring it to my local dealer. I was hoping he would have a quick fix that I could do myself. But I understand he would rather me bring it to a certified repair guy. I am hopeful that he can fix it without ordering any parts or shipping it to Totem.

Neither Totem or my dealer acknowledged that they had heard of any problem like this before with the Sttafs.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 85
Mike, I guess because you and Nico had already spoke regarding this issue, that must be why he wants to personally see my speakers. There must be something going on with the crossovers because when I suggested that it might just need tightening he said that it could have something to do with the crossovers. I suggested to take it to a dealer but he insisted that he would deal with it himself. As soon as I hear back from Nico I will let you know. If you hear something before I do please let me know.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3346
Steve, thanks for the info. I'm inclined to think that the source of your vocal frustration is more likely the Moon amp. Audio Note majors on vocal and midrange presence (you should see the Audio Note company owner's vinyl collection - pristine 40's, 50's and 60's recordings etc...). The Forest is anything but shy in the midrange too. Yes, its bass is impressively deep but that doesn't detract from the midrange. So I point the finger at the amp, but only because I don't know it at all...

I must admit that on Saturday I played around with our Sttafs on a very nice system and they were really rather impressive! Normally I'm not a big fan, but I must admit I could be convinced, especially since the Dynaudio eXcite 32s I had on earlier didn't sound as good. Admittedly the Dyns are still running in, but they should be nearly there by now (3 weeks' worth almost non-stop).

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 86
Frank, I would have never thought the Moon amp would be reason but you never know. It was the first time that I have heard Simaudio & Audio Note equipment. Overall a nice package though. I came home and listened to my Sttaf's, Mira 3 and Apollo right after, and have to say it's still a very musical combo. In my environment and speaker placement I'm getting some serious bass extension from the Sttaf's. At about 1/3 the cost of his setup mine is very competitive combo.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3354
I'd imagine you're getting way less resolution and tonal colour but your setup rocks and rolls far more(that pace, rhythm and timing thing).

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 94
Frank, I would imagine that to be true as well. But not being able to a/b side by side makes it difficult. Vocals and high's seem slightly more transparent and open with my Sttaf's. Bottom end and over all presence of the Forest's are very impressive IMO. Would I trade my Sttaf's for them, I don't know. Maybe the Hawk's would offer up a similar vocal presentation with more bottom end. Wait a minute, I really like my Sttaf's, why am I thinking of trading up all of a sudden lol. Must resist.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3384
Indeed you should, I've been playing with Sttafs on the big system int he shop and there's definitely something very nice about them. I don't feel particularly short-changed for having them on the end of a vastly more expensive system. Sttafs are £1300, the rest of the system is around ... oh ... well ... errr ... ummm ... yes ... £15000...

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 95
Wow. What components are you using Frank?

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 3
Steve,

I was delayed in getting my Sttafs to my dealer, but got them to him today. He
got right back to me and said Totem was sending two new crossovers to replace the old ones.

Have you heard from Totem?

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 110
Mike,

Glad to hear everything is working out for you. Your Staff's should be back to you very soon. My Sttaf's just got to Montreal and Nico's looking at them now. I would imagine they will be repaired by tomorrow and sent back right away. So I will probably see them late next week. It took 13 days before UPS came to pick up the speakers after Totem called them, unfreakin believable. Nico at Totem said he is going to file a formal complaint with UPS. So it looks like we'll both be listening to the Sttaf's very soon once again. I'm listening through my old Yamaha's right now and it's driving me nuts, I don't think my wife and I can take much more of them lol.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3422
Steve,

The system in the shop foyer which is always on (and so anybody can listen to it) is a Naim one, currently a choice between a Naim CDS3 CD player (around £7k), a CDX2 (£3k) with 555PS power supply (nearly £5k), or a Linn LP12 (£1500) powered by a Naim Armageddon (£1k) with Naim Aro tonearm (£1700) and a Dynavector 17D3 (paltry £650 :-) ) through a Naim Superline phono stage (£1650), into a NAC282 preamp (£3.3k), Supercap preamp power supply (£3k), NAP250.2 power amp (nearly £3k), all on a Naim Fraim rack (about £2k), a HiLine interconnect (£525) for the CD players and the infernally cheap but unbeatable Naim NACA5 speaker cable (£11/m). Power distribution is using the faithful simple MusicWorks block (£235).

It's a nice system. Obviously it is speaker dependant, and I threw the Sttafs on for a change. They really are rather nice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11215
Swap in Arriva's Frank?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3424
No Arivas in the shop, not current product. If I had the back wall (there's a shelf), it'd be interesting to put in n-Sats (and an n-Sub :-) ) or Allaes or (swoon) SL2s. We usually use Wilson benesch Arcs actually and they are very good indeed in this kind of system. Sometimes we use Focals on there - very good match too...

But there's something very engaging about driving small speakers (yes, Sttafs are small, just look at the main driver) from a big system.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 111
Wow that is quite the system Frank. Which Focals have you used and liked?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3426
I like most Focals. Not a fan of the 800 series although this seems to be room dependant. The 800 series seems to be very sensitive to what room they're placed in, more so than usual. The 700V seems very room friendly on the other hand. I quite like the Profile series but they also suffer from room modes more easily. The Electra series is a peach, both the 'S' models and the 'Be' models. The killer 'S' is the standmount in my view since the bigger speaker then has to compete with the standmount 1007Be. I always choose quality over quantity so I'd choose the standmount over the lower end floorstander. The 1027Be is a great speaker but in some ways I prefer its smaller brother. The 1037Be is massive, with a big sound and (oddly) better sorted in my view than the 1027. Great speaker (as it should be for the money).

The Micro Utopia was very good indeed, but it revealed ruthlessly any deficiencies in the electronics chain. This meant that we sold few Micro Utopias since the minimum system behind them had to be better than the one mentioned above. The Electra series is much more forgiving, and so it allows you to build your system with it on the end. The Micro Utopia requires that the system is pretty much there, otherwise it'll tear it to shreds. The bigger Utopias were also excellent speakers and again needed the appropriate system behind to shine. I have not heard the latest Utopia range which has just been launched (hmmmmmmmmm :-) ).

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 114
I'll have to listen one day to some focals, as I have a local dealer. I don't believe they carry any thing over the 800 series though. I wonder how the 700 or 800 series compare to the Sttaf's I have. I listened to the 700 series a while before I bought the Sttaf's, didn't move me.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 115
Mike, my Sttaf's are to be delivered today according to the UPS web site. The problem was isolated to a resistor bundle on the crossover. I can hardly wait for them to arrive. How are your speakers coming along? As soon as I get mine they are going to be treated with Clapham's Beeswax Polish, filed with sand then hooked back up for years of listening pleasure,I hope. Have you treated your speakers with any kind of polish yet? I've just started using Clapham's Beeswax Polish and have to say it is wonderful. Gives the wood a very rich warm glow, and with the wax content, it provides UV protection as well.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8363
I might try that polish on my R5's...first I must wait until next summer and see if I'll be trading them in on the new RS5's.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 116
Art, why wait? Treat them now and enjoy them until you trade them in. And when you trade them give another coat and you might get an even better trade as well. Now what is this new RS5 all about?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8364
Not sure if treating them would impact value.

I started a thread here about the new Rega RS speakers...I'll give it a bump.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 117
Treating them now would impact your enjoyment value I would think. I'll take a look for the thread.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8367
Perhaps I'll treat my Rainmakers...they could use it as well.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 122
Well today was the day I was to get my Sttaf's back. The courier pulls up and out come ONE speaker. That's right "ONE" F@#!#@g speaker. I'm so pissed right now. I phone the courier company and they say thats all they were given to ship. So obviously Totem only shipped me one of my speakers and still has the other one. I can't believe all of this. First a problem with the courier, which took two weeks to come and pick up the speakers, and now this. It's been over a month since all of this started. Can you believe it? I put a call into Totem but they were closed by that time, as they are 3 hours ahead. I think I will insist on next day delivery for my other Sttaf. I don't think thats out of line do you? I'll keep you posted. The saga continues.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8399
Just stay calm Steve and it will all work out. If you talk to Totem respectfully I'm sure they will do all they can to accomodate you. So how's the Totem in mono....oops!

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 124
Thanks Art, I'm sure your right. No I have not hooked up the Sttaf, just can't do it. Art, you mentioned you have a bunch of Vibrapods, do you have four #2's you would part with by any chance? For a fee of course. I got some #1's from Dale, he had no #2's, and they have made a nice improvement with the cdp.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8403
I have some number 2's but can't part with them as they are the most used. They are available at a number of places online.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 125
No worries Art, thanks.

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 4
Steve,

Totem shipped new crossovers to my dealer, but that did not fix the problem. So he shipped them to Totem last week. He also told me he found the same problem on a couple other totems in his sales room (a Mite and Forrest) but not the sttaf.

Did Totem tell you what the needed to fix?

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 126
Mike,

The problem was a resistor bundle on the crossover. They said they had a hard time finding it. I'm just about to call them regarding my other speaker, 6 am my time 9 am theirs. No I don't normally get up at 6 am, I just got home from work.

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 5
I guess I missed a portion of this thread...
No, I haven't treated mine. I actually have my speakers in the black ash finish.

Would you use the same polish?

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 127
Mike, yes all wood needs to be treated.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 128
Well I spoke with Totem and the courier lost the other speaker, it never made it to Totem. Totem also said they will take full responsibility for what has happened even though it was the courier who lost them. They said I will have speakers before Xmas and be compensated for all the trouble. I'm waiting to here back to see what is going to happen. Dealing with Totem has been positive, dealing with the courier company has not.

Mike, It must not be the same problem then. If it is a resistor bundle issue, like mine, then changing the crossover would have fixed it. I hope it gets fixed soon for you.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3440
Wow. Sounds like new speakers for Steve! The bad news is that you're going to have to run them in ...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8416
Sounds like Totem is doing right by you Steve...good to hear.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 131
Frank, your probably right about getting new speakers. I think that would be great, but yes there is the dreaded run in. I wonder if they would let me keep the old speaker for parts or a buck up.

Art, it's nice to deal with a reputable company in times like these.

I was getting pretty stressed for a while there but feel better now. Thanks guy's.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8417
You can always place the old speaker on its side and have a nice center channel....lol!

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 132
What do you think of my new jumpers I made the other night?

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1632
Steve, has Totem specifically stated that they will be sending you speakers or speaker? If speakers, one would think that they were fair to you. Do you really think it is fair not to inquire how they want to go about getting your remaining original speaker back in return?

Nice job on the jumpers. How are you intending on connecting the speaker wire, since there are four options?

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 133
Mike, if the courier can't find the other speaker Totem will send me a new pair. And they will have to do so soon if they are to arrive before Xmas. They also said I would be compensated in some way as well.

I find connecting the positive to the upper and the negative to the bottom sounds the best with the Sttaf's.

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 6
Steve,

I experimented with my terminals. Having one upper and one lower was better than both on the bottom. After that, I couldn't really say which the best way was. Especially since most of my recent experiments were trying to find what was causing the vibration.

I'm curious what Totem could possibly find if the cause of the vibration is
not the same as yours.

I would certainly like to have them for Christmas! I guess I need to talk to them directly, instead of waiting for my dealer to tell me something.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 135
Mike, I could hear a difference with the positive up vs negative up. Never liked it with both up or both down though. With the positive up it just seems to balance it out.

If the crossover wasn't the cause of the vibration maybe it's coming from the driver or tweeter. Other wise it's the enclosure, and with the construction of Totem speakers, I doubt it would be that. Anyway I'm sure when they come back they will be perfect. Keep me posted.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8425
"I find connecting the positive to the upper and the negative to the bottom sounds the best with the Sttaf's."

That's the best for the Rainmakers as well. Totem recommends diagonal connection when single wired.

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 7
Steve,

I was certain that it was actually coming from the terminal itself. As I repeatedly played back the offending music, I could feel it on the terminal as I held my hand there. I was surprised and disappointed to find out that it was more than just tightening the terminals from the inside of the box.

I've never added any ballast to the speakers, have you? I thought that might help but didn't want to get into it unless the experts told me it solved the problem.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 136
Mike, I mass load mine with about 7 lbs of silica sand per each speaker. It does seem to solidify the bass a little and bring out detail a little more as well. I've also been putting them on marble tile to decouple the speaker. I've recently had them on the tile with out the spikes, but I think this time I will use the spikes with the tile and see if thats better.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3446
I don't like to mass load Totems. I find that although it sharpens up their bass response, it also kills the life and exuberance of a performance.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 137
Frank, when I get the new Sttaf's I will try them with out any mass loading. I haven't really listen to them much with the Mira 3, so I will try with out first.

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 8
I picked up my Sttafs on Friday. They told me it was actually a problem in the tweeter. I was skeptical that they were fixing the problem I described, but all is well with them. Amazing that would cause the terminals to vibrate like that.

Since the crossovers were replaced first, and the dealer said it didn't fix the problem, maybe there were two different issues. So now I have two new tweeters and crossovers. I guess they need to be broken in again.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 138
Good to hear the Sttaf's are back. Yes it seems funny that something wrong with the tweeters would cause the crossovers to vibrate. I guess they would need some run it time, but maybe not as much as a driver would need. How do they sound?

I still don't have any speakers yet.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 141
Here's an update. Still no speakers. By the time I notified Totem that I had only one speaker it was the 15th of Dec. It then takes UPS (the courier) 8 days for the insurance claim to complete. I call UPS today which is day 8 and they tell me the claim was canceled but they don't know why. So a new claim has to start all over again. I'm ready to go "postal". I also don't know why Totem told me not to worry about not having my Sttaf's by Xmas if this process has to take place first. I'm not very impressed about that either. I'm at the point where I feel like going out and buying new speakers. But a) I really like the Sttaf's, and b) I can't afford it. Maybe by F@#!ing February I'll have some speakers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1899
That totally sucks Steve. I'd be ready to go postal by now too.

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 9
I guess I was lucky. My Sttafs didn't have to ship all the way to TOTEM. Apparently there was a Certified repair center in Pennsylvania that my dealer sent them to.

So far they sound great! I've only been playing them at moderate volumes to break 'em in.

Sounds like it's UPS that is giving you problems. But I guess Totem should have known that the insurance claim with UPS would have taken some time. They shouldn't have made promises that can't keep, but I think they are trying to do the right thing. Hope you get them soon!

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 143
Thanks Mike. Did your dealer tell you how long to run them in for? With out a driver change it probably won't need the full 60 - 80 hrs to run them in.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 146
All this time with out my Sttaf's and a little upgradeitis is starting to creep in. Would the Mira 3 be enough amp for the Hawks? My feeling is that it would be, and I think Frank mentioned a UK dealer using a Mira 3 for demoing Arro's up to the Hawk. I would have to audition the Hawks first of course, you never know I might like the Sttaf's more in my environment. Your thoughts.

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 10
Not sure I can help you with that. I've been considering a separate power amp for my fronts (the sttafs) but for now I will remain satisfied with the Yamaha RXV2700.

How much power does the Mira put out? Is your concern that it won't keep up at extremely high volume.

When I go to an amp, I'm not looking to spend over $1000. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 12
Not sure I can help you with that. I've been considering a separate power amp for my fronts (the sttafs) but for now I will remain satisfied with the Yamaha RXV2700.

How much power does the Mira put out? Is your concern that it won't keep up at extremely high volume for the Hawks?

When I go to an amp, I'm not looking to spend over $1000. Any suggestions?

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 147
Mike, do you need an AV receiver or are you thinking of a integrated amp or a pre amp and a power amp? If you don't need the AV receiver and want to keep around $1000 I would recommend an integrated amp. If you need this set up for HT you might be able to use your Yamaha as a pre amp, but this would not be an ideal set up. Audiogon.com has some really nice used gear that will save you some $.

For your Sttafs, if you go the itegrated amp route, I would recommend Naim Nait 5i or Rega Mira 3, both great integrated amps. I currently use a Rega Mira 3 to drive my Sttafs and love the combo. I use to have a HK receiver for HT and music. The Rega blows it away. So much cleaner and more detailed sound with tighter bass just to mention a few benefits. I don't miss the AV receiver one bit. Having high quality 2 channel for movies is much better that low quality surround imho.

Bronze Member

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 13
Yes, I use this for HT. I actually use a Totem Tribe I for the center channel. It matches nicely with the Sttafs.

I upgraded to the Sttafs from Energy XL25s. They were great speakers for the money and made it difficult to find a decent upgrade to justify the difference in price. I needed a new receiver to handle additional components and HDMI capability. My previous receiver was a Marantz that put out 60 watts per channel. The Yammy claims 140. I upgraded the receiver before the speakers so I haven't listened to the Sttafs through the Marantz, but I think it was a cleaner sound with the Energys.

Have you ever listened to the online only amps like Emotiva and Outlaw audio? They get good reviews and the price is right.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 148
Mike, Why did you change to Yamaha from Marantz? I've owned Yamaha and heard Marantz and like Marantz more. The Yamaha may claim 140 but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I'm assuming you want another AV receiver then. I have not listen to either of those so I will not comment on them. Your speakers out class your electronics by a mile. If you want more from those Sttafs you will have to take the next step in electronics. Also what is your source for music? A quality CD player will out perform any DVD player. Most here believe in the source first approach. Meaning get a good CD player followed then by the amp then speakers in order of importance to quality sound. I have to agree as I'm listening to my old cheap Yamaha speakers through my Rega gear and it sounds not all bad. It actually sounds much better than when I had the Sttafs hooked up with my Yamaha receiver and Yamaha 5 disc CD player.

Bronze Member

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 14
I happened to stumble across the Marantz at a dealer in Delaware which was not convenient for me. Then I didn't like the way they handled an issue I had with a DVD player I purchased and did not want to give them any more business.

There weren't any Marantz dealers locally at the time I purchased the Yamaha. And Marantz wasn't keeping up with the latest features as fast as the everybody else.

At the time, it didn't make sense to spend that kind of money and not get the latest bells and whistles. The upgrade bug was getting to me in a big way!

If I were buying right now, I'd favor the Marantz over the Yamaha seeing that they caught up in technology. But I don't hate the Yamaha and can live with it as long as I need to.

Can I use the pre-outs from the Yamaha and send it to the old Marantz receiver and use its amp?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8590
I wouldn't bet the farm on Marantz power either. Similarly powered and priced Marantz and Yamaha AVR's are usually separated by several pounds with the Yamaha weighing more. Doesn't always mean anything but it may be just something else to think about. The most recent Marantz line is very well built and sounds good...but so does the Yamaha. The Marantz favors a warmer sound but the Yamaha is certainly not bright. AVR's have improved considerably over the last couple of years.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3467
There's a difference between quantity and quality. You'd be surprised how much better a smaller amplifier can sound if it's a better design. Sttafs can be driven very nicely by a 60wpc Rega Mira, but thanks to the quality available from the amp, they'll sing whereas an AV receiver will just sound as good as it can sound whether or not it has 140wpc.

This is, of course, assuming a decent source...

Steve, Hawks on a Mira? Hmmmm...I don't really think so. Consider better electronics first I think.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11389
Frank, I have heard fine electrics on the most humble of speakers(some homemade) and I have been astounded.
Guys, get your sources and power right, the speakers can take care with placement and good choices.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 150
Mike, Frank & Nuck are so right. I can't tell you how much of an improvement the source and amp really are.

Frank, thanks for the info. I was pretty sure you mentioned to me once that a UK dealer demoed Sttafs and Hawks with a Mira 3, but I guess not. Any way I've just rearranged our living room with the rig on the short wall now and wow what an improvement to the soundstage and scale. Room positioning really is of the utmost importance. I can't wait to get the Totems back now.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 151
In a couple of days the insurance claim should be finalized on the lost Sttaf speaker. My question is can Totem just send me one speaker? I would think a matched pair is important, am I right?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 525
Steve,

A matched pair is generally desireable; however, the answer to your question also depends on the manufaturers tolerances. If Totem's quality control on its product is tight and all their drivers are tested to high tolerances i.e. within 1/2 dB, then you might be o.k. with them just providing you with the one speaker. That said, to keep things safe it would be preferable to have a matched set. Why don't you tell Totem to keep your speaker and that they can take the Insurance claim and send you a new pair...or if the won't go for that, why not ask them to send you a B-stock pair. Afterall, you had some use on yours. The wait though is ridiculous.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11395
I doubt that Totem tests matched sets.
They likely trust suppliers and in-house testing of bulk shipments on a random basis, then build, or have built.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 152
George, I have the other speaker which was repaired some time ago. Totem makes the insurance claim so if they want the speaker I have back in exchange for a new pair, I'm all for it.

I read some where that each pair of Totem speakers are cut from the same section of a tree, so if thats true then a new pair would be in order. The wood grain on both of my Sttafs looked identical.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 166
Update: I'm still without a pair of speakers. Totem finally settled with UPS but they will not give me a new pair of speakers. They want the old one back and will test it and match it with a new one if they can. Considering the length of time that has passed and that Totem said they would take full responsibility for what has happened, I don't know why they will not send a new pair of speakers. I think this reflects very poorly on Totem and shows where their quality and level of service is at. I thought Totem was passionate and cared about their speakers and the people who buy them, I was obviously wrong. What they are prepared to do for me is give me some tuning Beaks for my inconvenience. I certainly will not buy another pair of Totem speakers again, nor will I recommend them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8757
Sorry to hear that Steve. All the best and I hope it all works out for you. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying Totem again either. Can't really say here why here but...no more Totem for me.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2021
Sorry to hear all the trouble you're having Steve. You are correct - this certainly doesn't reflect very well on Totem.

Bronze Member
Username: Barry_nj

GSP Exit 165, New Jersey

Post Number: 18
Sounds like a mistake on Totem's part. I'd send them a link to this thread, and mention that the same can be started on other audio forums. Some manufacturers don't understand the internet and it's ability to enhance communication between enthusiasts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11473
I think Totem does, Steve and the rest of the team at Totem are active on the web.
Maybe not this little tiny corner of it.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 167
Here is the email I got from Totem.

Hi Steve,

I understand your frustration in this matter as it has dragged on for some time.

Unfortunately the extended time frame was out of our control as we were at the mercy of UPS protocol.

Regardless, we are willing to take responsibility for the loss and issue a new loudspeaker.

As I explained to your wife, we will look at the existing unit on an individual parts basis.

that's not to say that we will simply pair another loudspeaker and send it back, but individual parts that test matched to current spec will be retained.

for instance, the cabinet integrity should be identical to spec
regardless of your environments humidity levels. the issue that arises with the cabinet is grain matching. should we be unable to find an appropriate match a new cabinet will be issued.

the tweeters would certainly need to be replaced and matched as an exact pair.

the woofers would need to be tested on our computerized MLSSA system, if they have diverted from current spec they will be replaced.

the wire harness and brackets would be retained.....they have remained constant for 10 years.

the crossover would also be assessed for exact spec, as we hold identical backup units to each specific version.

the hardwire nature of the crossover and air core coils deliver extreme consistency for 20 years +

please rest assure that no time will we jeopardize our name and product quality to cut corners. Electronic parts will only be retained if they prove 100% consistent.

cabinet will only be retained if we find a suitable pairing

Should these criteria not be met a new pair will be issued

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8763
Too bad they didn't say which decade you can expect to get them.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 168
They say in the email that the extended period of time was out of their control as it was UPS who lost the speaker. That's not entirely true as they did not ask UPS where the second speaker was when only one made it to them for repair. Two weeks had passed before I found out, as I only got one speaker back from Totem. I then called Totem and they forgot that I had sent "2" speakers for repair. So they are responsible for some of the time I have gone without.

As far as the statement saying "they are willing to take responsibility for the loss", they are not taking any responsibility as it is an insurance claim that is paying for the speaker not Totem.

In my opinion, any company who cares about quality and service would have taken some responsibility for what happened and sent a new pair of speakers.

Bronze Member

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 16
After all the work they want to do to match it, you think it would be easier for them to send a new pair.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 169
Mike, you would think so, but I guess I'm just an unvalued customer.

Bronze Member
Username: Barry_nj

GSP Exit 165, New Jersey

Post Number: 19
Steve, I'd guess all the others who come across this thread are un-valued (potential) customers.
They should send out a new pair, then take your old one, create it's mate, and sell that pair as B-Stock, or send it to a dealer to use as a demo pair.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 170
Barry, I agree.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 173
Well, nearly 3 months later, I finally have a "NEW" pair of Sttaf speakers with Beaks. My god that was a test of sanity. Now the dreaded run in. I think I will leave the beaks off till the speakers are run in, then play with speaker and beak positioning.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8862
Anticlimatic at this point I suspect however congrats are in order and hopefully you can still enjoy them.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 177
Thank you Art. I think some good music and some Appleton Rum might help:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8864
I'll tip my glass to you this evening Steve...a lttle Bowmore Islay.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11538
The patience of Job.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 178
A couple pics of the new speakers with the beaks.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 179
These pics seem a little better quality.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2358
Very very nice Steve. Fantastic setup.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1749
Steve, how much is that set-up wife acceptance versus where you want things?

No I do not agree with Nick. I would have said "nice gear".

Would you play the speakers that way with the blinds / curtains up?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8875
Well done Steve!

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 180
Nick, thanks very much.

Michael, my wife really likes her music and will allow pretty much any thing. As far as playing with the blinds up verses down, I don't know yet as I just got the speakers yesterday, and also I've changed the set up from the long wall to where you see it now. The Sttafs have never been at this placement, but I would guess that the blinds down would probably be best. What I can say is bass now pressurizes the whole room and the sound stage is much more 3 dementional.

Thanks Art, for everything.

I would like to make a comment on the beaks. I can't say how they are affecting the speakers performance, as it's too early and I can't turn it up yet, but when I lightly touch the upper portion of the beak there is a lot of vibration resonating through them. I didn't realize how much cabinet distortion was on top of the speaker. I'm also impressed at how much vibration the beaks are channeling. Anyway I will give an evaluation of the beaks when I've spent some time experimenting and listening with them on the Sttafs.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 181
Here is a better pic of the set up. The rig use to be where the sofa is on the right. I like this much more.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2076
Very nice Steve. What do you have the Sttafs sitting on?

Bronze Member

Monroeville, NJ USA

Post Number: 17
Steve,

Congratulations on the Sttafs. That's a nice set up! My dealer told me at least 100 hours needed to break them in. I just left them on while I went to work, so my dogs got to listen to them all day.

I still leave them on at low volume during the day. Do you think that is a good or bad idea?

I'd like to know if the beaks make a big difference. Mine are just sitting on the plinths and spikes on carpet.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 182
David, they are on marble.

Upload
Upload

Mike, yeah leave them on, give them a good break in. You must have a lot of hours on them by now though.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2077
That's a cool idea. I should get some for my Sttafs too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us