Non-Rotel pre/pro to go with Rotel amp???

Username: Fhsun

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I recently bought a Rotel RMB-1075 120w x 5 amp to power my HT set up. My speakers are:

B&W: 683 front/HTM61 center/M1 surround/ASW610 sub

I'm waiting for the Rotel RSP-1570 pre/pro to come out so I'm using an old Pioneer AV receiver as pre to tie me over.

Meanwhile, I'm curious as to what the thoughts are in pairing the Rotel RMB-1075 amp with another brand of pre/pro?

What brands are good sonic match? Any brand that would not match (some have compared NAD & Rotel pairing to tuna fish and lamb) ?

Some suggestions will help me target brands to audition. Thanks!

Frank

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1720
I was uing my Rotel RA-02 as pre-amp awhile back with my Rotel 2 channel amp. It was a very good combination. There's certainly something to be said for component synergy.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your reply David!

You said "a while back" so does that mean you are now pairing one of the Rotel component with another brand?

If yes, did you feel that mixing the two took something away from component synergy and what was it?

Frank

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1724
I've slowly made my 2 channel system all Bryston. I started out more or less with an RA-02 and RB-1070. I moved the 1070 out of my system and replaced it with Bryston monoblocks. Just this weekend I replaced the RA-02 with a Bryston BP-20.

I wouldn't say that running the Rotel with the Brystons was a bad combination at all, it's just that the Bryston pre-amp is in a totally different league than the Rotel.

Bronze Member
Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 80
fs,
As I posted in the amps section, I have not had good musical experiences pairing a Rotel HT amp with a Denon AV Receiver. It was good for movies but just ok for music. Loud, clean, crisp and punchy, not much rhythm. I would suggest you look at some used Rotels for a surround processor (1068 or 1066) or stick with the Pioneer until you can get what you want.

Post Number: 3
I think at this point I will wait for the new round of pre/pros to come out at the end of the year or early next year and just tie myself over with the old Pioneer receiver as a pre until then. I definitely want the HDMI's and the HD audio codecs.

The range I'm looking at include:

Rotel RSP-1570
Parasound HDP-70
Marantz AV8003
Integra DHC 9.9

I'm inclined to go with the Rotel for synergy but it lacks some features compared to others such as room correction. But I must make sure I don't end up with a pre/pro that doesn't sound right with the Rotel.

I'll go check the post in the amp section, thanks!

Frank

Username: Amitg

Post Number: 10
I've got a Rotel 1075/1068 set-up and am considering upgrading to a HDMI pre-pro that does lossless formats - but like u im also thinking of options beyond Rotel. The Parasound HDP-70 sounds the most interesting to me.

Does any one have any thoughts on a Rotel/Parasound combination?

Post Number: 9
Wow, that original post is just about an year old and since then I have purchased a Rotel RSP-1570 to go with the Rotel amp. They sound great together and the RSP-1570 have all the latest HDMI and lossless audio codecs.

I tried really hard to find showrooms with the alternate pre/pros I listed but I was only able to find the Marantz and Rotel. The Parasound was impossible for me to find locally. No one had it. But that was a year ago, it might be easier to find now.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1199
You should see how Mitchell's kit has changed since then!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3456
Things have a changed a bit since then Stryvn, lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14245
I still like Rotel. 'specially with the studio 20's

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3457
That would be a killer combo Nick. At one point I was driving my Sttafs with the RB-1070. The preciseness of the Rotel with the smoothness of the Sttafs were complimentary.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1090
Rotel with Sttafs good, Rotel with Studio 20's pretty good, Rotel with Epos or MA not good.

Bryston will work with all of the above.

I've heard Parasound Halo with Monitor Audio GS20's and the combination was very good. I haven't hear them side by side but my guess is that the Parasound would be a flatter than the Rotel. Don't know about synergy though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us