5.1 or 7.1

Bronze Member
Username: Snmhanson

Post Number: 24
I am creating an equipment spec sheet for a new home theare/rec room setting. The room is somewhat large (~23' wide x 26' deep) and is essentially divided in half with the front half for a theatre area with projector and the back for a pool table and poker table area. I want a good surround system for the theatre and am not sure if I should go with 5.1 or 7.1. After a visit to the factory I am planning on going with Aperion speaker with their 6-series towers and center in front and dipoles on the side. For a 7.1 system I could put dipoles or bookshelves on the back wall as well, but that is going to be closer to the pool table and the seating area for the theatre is at about the center line of the room. For a 5.1 system I could put the dipoles directly to the side of the seating area or I could move them back a bit and use them in "non-dipole" mode.

Now for the twist. I have a Russound whole-house audio system that I need a pair of speakers in that room for as well. If I go 7.1 I will use an automatic A/B switch to switch the rear speakers between the local surround system and the whole-house system with precedence given to the whole-house system. If I go 5.1 I will put a pair of Proficient in-ceiling speakers in the back of the room that are dedicated to the whole-house system. I suppose I could still put an A/B switch on them in that case and share them with the surround system but they would not be matched to the much higher quality Aperion speakers. I only have one pair of wires run to the back of the room so I cannot go with both options. Also, I have a pair of the in-ceiling speakers right not so I could go throw them up this evening. It could be several months until I get the Aperions. So, if I am going to go with 7.1 I will get by with the temporary speaker setup I am using now until I get the big guns. Considering only the surround system, is there a big benefit to 7.1 over 5.1 assuming good quality speakers and correct placement?

Thanks,

Matt

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 480
Greetings Matt,

The first question is, can you enclose the theater?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
No can do. Putting up a wall would make one side or the other too small. The pool table (including cue draw) takes up a little more than half of the room and the theatre needs at least the other half. Also, the two resulting rooms would be too small for the environment we are after. The room itself is independant of the house though and only has a sliding door leading to the outdoors. We are going to put up a very heavy curtain to close over the sliding door to help with sound and light. I know it's not ideal for a true theatre but it's what we've got to work with.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 481
Fair enough! Then the questions get more into what you will be doing the most with this room. If you are watching a lot of sporting events then 5.1 should be sufficient but if you are a major movie aficionado (and won't really be playing pool too often) then the 7.1 could be very enjoyable to you.

I like the A/B switch idea if you would actually use it, it increases the systems versatility and doesn't lock you into one thing or the other.

How is that for a rather wishy-washy answer???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I think the answer was better than my wishy-washy question. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. As far as the system use, it will be geared more towards movies and general television watching. Very little sports and then maybe a little serious music listening. Most of the casual music listening will be coming over the whole-house system through XM or iPod sources. I guess concerning the "theater" half of the room I want to optomize it for actual movie watching. That is part of my reasoning for using dipoles on the sides. At the Aperion showroom they had a 5.1 with dipoles set up and I had to ask the guy if they were using rears or not. From my understanding, if dipoles are set up correctly they can almost replace the rear channels - but that is a conclusion I made that wasn't based on too much actual evidence.

As far as general room use goes, we will probably split the use between serious movie watching and hanging out - which still would often include having something on the screen but also shooting pool, etc... Time devoted to each use of the room will be divided something like 40/60 or 50/50 or 60/40. I won't really know until we get everything in place.

It is sounding like for my purposes the 7.1 system will be worth the upgrade over the 5.1 system. Due to budgeting requirements I am going to have to start with the front three speakers, than add the sides a little later and finally add the rears when $$ allows. I guess it gives me some time to think about it and I can share the fronts with the whole-home system until I get the backs installed.

Thanks again,

Matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us