Receiver/Pre-Amp Choice

Bronze Member
Username: Snmhanson

Post Number: 20
I am in the planning stages for equipment for a theatre located in a rec room (pool table, poker, etc...) After hearing a demo in their showroom I have pretty much decided on Aperion 6 series speakers - although I have yet to purchase them. As far as a receiver/pre-pro setup I am still debating between a few. Along with sound quality and video quality there are several trivial (to most of you) features that have led me down the path to the units I am considering. Whatever I end up with I need it to handle video switching and upconverting all signals to one hdmi run to the projector. I want to go with moderate/higher quality equipment and really like the looks of the NAD stuff. I have also noticed that Outlaw is coming out with a new processor that looks like it will be pretty nice.

Bottom line though, I can't decide between going with an integrated solution which would likely be the NAD T775 or going with a seperate such as the new Outlaw or the NAD T175. If I go pre/pro I will probably use an old Sony receiver as an amp temporarily until I can afford a new one. On one hand, I like the idea of an integrated unit but am I going to give up sound quality with the T775 or does it have pretty solid sound output when comared to a seperate amp and even other more mainstream receivers? On the other hand, if I go with seperates does the audio side of the processor really make much of a difference on sound quality or is it mostly based on the amp? In other words, could I focus on the video processing and other tivial and aesthetic features I am after if I go with seperates and then not worry about the audio output quality? If so, maybe it would make sense to go with the new Outlaw when it becomes avaialble and get the Reon video processing. I don't know how good the video processing is on the NAD but other than that I like the T175 as well. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

PS I posted a similar thread on another site so some of the users on that site might recognize me. Just thought it would be prudent to get opinions from different groups.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1503
From your post I am understanding you are interested in features and functionality along with video and audio quality. Unless you want to go with a McIntosh option or something comparable there will be trade offs. Sticking with the scope of your post here are options you could look and choose through...

http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver

You should try to listen to a MAC or something similar to establish worth what paid for at that level. Then go listen to a NAD and Onkyo to see if the compromise is worth it relative to worth what paid for. You may find that one of the lesser cost options works perfectly for you.

Good luck.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11057
Matt, if you listened to the Aperion speakers and liked them enough to spec them, why not find out what equipment was driving them at the audition and follow that lead?
You seem impressed with the speakers, the room where you listened to them must have been very close to your own to decide on these already.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thanks for the replies. While I would love to audition several receivers to see what fits my needs best, I live in a rural area with limited options unless I go online. I do have Portland about an hour away but it's still a hassle. I figured if I got into something with a good name and reputation I would have better chances at ending up with a good result. Also, between family, work and other commitments I just don't have the time to go around demoing alot of equipment.

As far as the Aperions, the room they demo the speakers in is a bit different than my environment but between what I heard there, reviews I've heard on the Aperions and their liberal return policy I figure they are probably a good choice - at least to start with. They were using Outlaw seperates to power their speakers but I also asked about their speakers with NAD equipment and they said that sounds great as well.

My main problem is, as I stated above, I don't have the time or local resources to demo several options before making a purchase. I am going to just have to make an educated guess and then worse case I will have to sell and rebuy (or possibly return the Aperions) if I don't like the results.

Thanks again for the replies and advice.

Matt

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11060
That Onkyo page has a lot of options.
Onkyo has, by most opinions, improved to the point where they are selling a lot of units.
Also notice the 2 channel amp in the bottom left, that might be fun to play with.
The 605 (not shown) is discontinued and can be had on the cheap, but the 506/606 have a lot of features that you can use, without too many boxes and cables.

Lots of cheap cables can make lots of headaches and degrade SQ.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8007
The new Yamaha RX-V3900 and RX-V1900 look competitive. Good features and would likely work well with the Aperions.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2072
Matt, everyone has great suggestions. I can only give you my opinion. If you were to go the NAD route, I would like to say that their new offerings such as the T775 is a HUGE step up from their last two lineups of AVR's. Sound, video, power, everything is much much better. That said, so is the new Onkyo lineup. And when your spending money like the T775 costs, you could go up into the Onkyo Integra lineup. Or even look at the new Arcam stuff. It is good to see that you are willing to spend the money on a good AVR or Separates for that is your heart of the system in a HT. That is where, I feel, 30-35 percent of the cost should go into. A local dealer here called Just Hi Fi carry the new Onkyo Integra, Rotel, Arcam and NAD line of AVR's. THey claim all of them are good with exception that the new Arcam and NAD lineup sound very very good. Much improved. Onkyo in the meantime is still kicking butt. A friend of mine just got the Onkyo 806? And he LOVES it. He had a NAD T743 before(entry level).

I also feel if you go the T175 route that you should be looking at the new 5 channel power amp from NAD as well for synergy purposes. Just MO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanks for the additional replies. I've looked at all of the more mainstream offering from Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, etc... and there are definately some nice choices there. I'll consider those options if some of these more exotic options don't pan out. Among other reasons I am attracted to the NAD is that they don't have predefined source selection buttons on the front, all of the internally stored source names can be customized and sources can be disabled if not being used. In other words you are not pigeon holed into using and/or displaying predefined source names - both on the face of the unit and internally. As dumb as that sounds it is a pet peave of mine plus it is nice to not have to explain to people that my Audiotron is actually DVD2 on the front panel, the PS3 is actually VCR1 and to just ignore VCR2, AUX2 and the TV source options. I just like things as streamlined as possible. There are several other trivial features found on the NADs that I like as well and those coupled with the reasonable price tag for a good quality unit make it a great fit for my needs. I also like the fact that the boards in the NADs are upgradeable. Of course the primary considerations are audio and video performance, hence my post on this board. Bottom line, how do the NADs stack up to other lines as far as overall performance in those regards?

Aside from that, it looks like the T775 receiver and the T175 preamp are identical with the exception of the amplification unit in the receiver. If I could get the 775 for around the same price as the 175 it seems that it would make sense to do that and then I could eventually still use the 775 as a preamp once I get an amplifier. Does that make sense or are there other differences between the 775 and the 175?

Although I really like the looks of the NAD and am leaning in that direction, I am not dead set on it at this point. Rather, I am looking for possible reasons not to go that route whether that means getting just as good of performance and features for less $$ or getting better performance and features for close to the same price. I'm still listening if anyone has more to add...

Thanks again for all of the input so far,

Matt

Gold Member

Post Number: 2074
Matt- IMO the new lineup of NAD AVR's when it comes to audio and video performance, is right there with the likes of Arcam,B&K and Rotel. I say, if you can get a good price on it, and you enjoy the sound of it, buy it and enjoy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Thanks for the encouragment on the NAD lineup. As I mentioned, I am leaning in that direction. However, I did just take a closer look at the new processor offerings coming down the line from Outlaw (997) and Emotiva (UMC-1) and they look like they would fill my feature-list requirements as well. I wonder how they would stack up to a NAD pre/pro for video quality and sound quality assuming I use decent amps for each unit. The Outlaw would be a little cheaper and the Emotiva would be quite a bit less expensive than the NAD but of course neither would not have the track record/history that the NAD units have. I know that Outlaw has a decent name and a bit of a cult following but I don't know much about Emotiva. On the surface and on paper they both seem like great values. Especially the Outlaw with Reon processing and Trinnov technology. On the other hand, the features and claimed quality the new Emotiva will offer for just $700 seems almost too good to be true. Just another idea to throw in the mix...

Matt

Gold Member

Post Number: 2075
I personally would never buy Emotiva based on the bad offerings my good pal David Mitchel had. Outlaw make a great product, rebadged stuff like Emotiva but good product none the less. There is positives and negatives to buying online. The positive being that it is cheaper. The negative being that there is not a close by, dealer that can assist you at will. Personally, I would stick to the local dealer, but I have also bought products online too. Up to you man. Outlaw have a 30 day money back guarantee so you can at least demo it at your house. What I would do if the there is room money wise, is buy the T775 and Outlaw, and return the loser.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Thanks for the heads up on Emotiva. As I said, on paper it seems to be a great offering with all of the features I could ask for. I was suspiscous though as to how they could offer a competitive product for less than half the price of Outlaw and NAD. Good stuff to know as I narrow down my options. Does anyone else concur with Nick or have a different opinion on Emotiva?

Thanks,

Matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us