NAD C272 or Onkyo A-9555 or what? Please Help!

Username: Wilyodysseus

Beverly Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 1
I bought one of those Tivoli Radios for my kitchen a couple of years ago, and realized it sounded better than my 1980's A/V receiver and tower speakers. I realized I had to upgrade. My budget was very limited. I did a lot of research on the internet, and eventually purchased a Sonic Super T-Amp, and Oppo DVD player, and a pair of Infinity Primus 150's. I think the system totaled under $500. I was a huge improvement.

In the last six months, I've started getting into headphone audio. I bought a HeadRoom Micro DAC, a Musical Fidelity X-Can v3, and AKG K701's. Most of my music listening moved to headphones, and my loudspeakers were used mostly for movies. Shortly thereafter, for the utility of multiple inputs and a remote control, I bought a NAD C325bee. The Sonic T-Amp went into storage.

This week, after rearranging my living room (which is approximately 12' x 24') into a more listening-friendly configuration. I thought about buying new speakers, and I started really spending some time with the 325bee. I was not happy. The music sounded muddy, blurred, undetailed. I pulled the T-Amp out of storage, hooked it up with the NAD as a preamp, and things dramatically improved. Not sure I'm using the correct audiophile terminology, but the attack was faster, the silence blacker, and the music generally more toe-tapping.

So I'm in the market for a new amp and/or speakers. If I was to stick with the T-Amp, I would want to get much better speakers, but the selection of inexpensive (under $1000, preferably under $600) sensitive (T-Amp is only 15 Watts) looks very limited--especially considering what I can audition locally. Dealers near me (Detroit, Michigan suburbs) carry B&W, Monitor Audio, Totems, and Magnepans. None of those, as far as I know, are known as high-sensitivity speakers. I haven't been able to find any other high-end brands around here, and I'd rather listen to them before buying.

On the other hand, the local selection of inexpensive amps is even more limited. Local dealers carry mostly either A/V receivers, Yamaha, some Rotel, or stuff that's way above my budget.

Given that I like the sound of the digital T-Amp, I looked for a more powerful digital. I found the Onkyo A-9555. It's generally well reviewed, but I'm gun shy of buying based on reviews after my 325bee experience. Another option is to use the bee as a preamp, and buy a NAD C272, but I also can't listen to it before I buy. Would the combined NAD's give me the fast, detailed quality I hear with the T-Amp?

I found the C272 for $600, while the Onkyo is $450. If I'm also going to buy new speakers, $600 is a stretch for me. I listed mostly to jazz, classical, and some indie rock--no hip-hop or metal. Room size is about 12 by 24 feet. I live in an apartment, so I don't normally listen at very loud volume levels.

Please suggest speaker/amp combos. I a "WOW!" experience compared with the Primus 150's and T-Amp. Can it be done for around or under $1000? Sorry this was so long. Thanks for you advice.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1649
If you're not happy with the 325bee, I wouldn't suggest getting a C272. You'll have more power and more headroom with the C272, but it's still a NAD.Some people like the typical NAD sound, some do not.

I have no experience with the Onkyo, so I can't comment on that.

Monitor Audio speakers would likely sound very good with your T-Amp. Most of them are sensitive enough to squeeze the most out of those 15 watts.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 250
I can't speak to the Onkyo A-9555 specifically but I use my Onkyo 805 AVR for 2-ch music. I've heard the 605/606 as well and I would say that Onkyo products are not muddy or slow, as you've described the NAD product you've used. Onkyo amps are quite detailed and some describe them as bright but I would say they are on the brighter side of neutral with warmth and quite tight bass - in no way muddy and thick. I find mine to be airy but not what you can get in higher end amps. I don't know what the impact would be of pairing up with NAD.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2057
I agree with David that by getting a C272, you will just be adding to the sound you already do not like. Perhaps selling the T-amp AND 325bee, and getting an integrated amp that you can live with may be another way of approaching this. Not sure if you mentioned this already, but what is your source of the music?

Beverly Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 2
The source I use most for music is a Mac Mini with Apple lossless files with an optical connection to the HeadRoom Micro DAC. The Oppo disc player (digital coax to DAC) gets used mostly for movies. I also have a Goldring GR1 turntable connected through a Parasound Zphono.

Thanks for the responses so far. Has anyone heard both the T-Amp and the Onkyo A-9555?

Beverly Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help. I'm now of the opinion that the NAD was simply revealing the shortcomings of the Infinity speakers. I went speaker shopping this weekend. I auditioned speakers from B&W, Monitor Audio, Magnepan, and Totem. I took home the Totem Rainmakers. They sound great with the C325bee, although I may look for a Creek of Naim integrated down the road.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7997
Congrats on a nice purchase. I have a set of Rainmakers doin' front duties in HT and they are just a great all around speaker. My wife has the C325BEE which is a very nice little integrated (don't know why I said little it's physically bigger than either of my integrateds...lol!).

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1673
Nice purchase Paul. Now the Totems are going to reveal the shortcomings of the NAD ;-)

It's a slipperly slope.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2064
Good stuff Paul. Congrats.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8000
Ah the joy of audio...for now just enjoy the music Paul.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13080

If you like the sound of the T-amp and you are convinced you require higher power than the SI amp, you might look at the manufacturers using more powerful chips. Although there are certain limitations to the use of a passive pre amp such as the basic T-amp provides nothing I'm aware of (at a reasonable price at least) can provide "blacker backgrounds" than a passive pre amp powering a battery powered amplifier. While other amplifiers can do as well or better than the T-amp at "toe tapping" presentation you will spend large chunks of change to get better the than basic T amp package can achieve in this respect. The T-amps are not the panacea for all audio problems but they do remarkably well IMO when your budget is small and your desires are large. And there are numerous speaker manufacturers who offer systems that work well with any of the flea watt T-amps should you decide to rethink your moves here.

Beverly Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the replies. I'll have time to deliberate on my next purchase while I enjoy the tunes (and wait for my wallet to refill).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us