What is the best preamp to pair with a Music Hall MMF-5?

Username: Silverbullet763

West Virginia United States

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable. I have been going back and forth over the choice of a solid preamp to pair with the table. I've been using a NAD PP2, but the gain is very low. The TT has the stock Goldring 1012GX cart with an output of 6.5mV. I've been looking at the Parasound Zphono, Dynavector P75 mk II, Rogue Stealth, or maybe some of the older preamps. For example, the Krell KPE, Audio Research PH1, Sonic Frontiers SPH-1. I am kind of all over the place at the moment, so any advice is appreciated. My budget is around 1,000. I enjoy the Music Hall a great deal and am looking for something to compliment its sound. Thanks so much!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3303
I can certainly recommend the Dynavector. It's a good preamp for MM and a very good one with MC. However, you need to leave it on all the time since it takes an awfully long time to warm up - something to do with how it's designed, but basically I find it a bit listless for the first 24 hours.

Another one you may like to consider is one of the better Pro-Ject models such as the phonBox SEII or the tube model (not sure what the designation is). I know the cheaper models and they are fine value for money. The more expensive ones are meant to be pretty good too.

Oh - and if you can upgrade that Goldring, either to the 1042 stylus or by substituing the cartridge completely (the new Goldring 2000 series is a peach), you'll thank me for it...

Bronze Member
Username: The_mofo

Post Number: 13
I would go with the Dynavector. But I doubt anyone can really definitively tell you what is the best preamp to pair.

Username: Silverbullet763

West Virginia United States

Post Number: 2
Thanks so much! The Dynavector does seem like the way to go. I was curious if anyone had heard the Rogue Stealth? It features adjustable gain and is in the same price range. I suppose I could always try them both. Any thoughts? Thanks Frank for the wonderful post. You always have excellent information. I will definitely look into upgrading the Goldring as soon as the funds become available.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3316
Sorry, no experience of the Rogue.

Username: Brocjas

Albany, NY

Post Number: 5
Just saw your post regarding the Music Hall and Rogue Audio Stealth, I have the Music Hall 5.1 and was looking into a tube phono pre to connect that to, in discussing a Jolida tube phono pre with a dealer for both Jolida and Rogue, he indicated the solid state Rogue Stealth would be far superior in sound to the Jolida. I picked up a used Stealth and am very pleased with it. I recently upgraded to a McIntosh C2200 pre and between the phono section in the Mac and the Stealth as a line stage input, I will definately be keeping the Stealth and bypassing the Mac phono stage. So overall pleased with it but...as Frank indicated the cartridge swap may yield more in the way of whatever it is we are all chasing in the way of that perfect sound, your ears will know it when they hear it. Also based on his recommendation and the other info Dynavector may be the way to go, no experience there so can't comment. Thank You for the post as I now know there is a new series of Goldring to track down in the chase.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us