What speaker cable to use with Mira 3 & Totem Sttaf

Bronze Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 34
I would like to know if my current speaker cable is a good choice for use with my Totem Sttaf speakers and soon to acquire Rega Mira 3. I will be using "XLOHTPRO" interconnects between the Apollo and Mira 3. I also have "Monster cable Z1R Reference energy coherent time correct" speaker cable. Are these interconnects and speaker cable suitable for this system?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7932
My choice is the van den Hul "The Well" interconnect and either van den Hul CS122 or D352 speaker cable and make jumpers from the same cable. Run the positive into the tweeter and negative to the woofer. On a budget the van den Hul Snowline bulk speaker cable works well. I have used the vdH products with more success than any other and man have I tried alot.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 35
Thanks very much Art, I'll look into vdH products. I think I saw some on Canuckaudio or Audiogone.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2039
Steve if what you have now sounds good then who gives a flying #$#$uck about types of speaker cable and interconnect. You let me know if speaker cable and what not makes that big of a difference. Like tires on a car right? BULL!! Small differences my friend. Differences for the best? Not always. Have fun bud.

FWIW I have had way too much to drink tonight so ignore this post. Cherio!!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7934
Sober up my friend as this behavior ain't like you...I hope.

It appears that Steve was asking for suggestions....that's all.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 36
Thanks for the input Nick. LOL I enjoyed your post.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2044
lol I know Art- that was meant to be a joke but as I read it came off like I was being a PR. lol My Apologies. FWIW Steve Arts suggestion is a very very good one. Check them out for sure.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11031
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/104636-totem_speaker_cables__8_biwired_/

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 37
Thanks Nuck.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1639
How about Blue Jeans cable? I've had really good results with Blue Jeans speaker cables and IC's. Why spend a fortune?

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 38
David, never heard of blue jeans cable. I'll Google them.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 39
David, I just had a look at the site and looks interesting. Which speaker cable do you have, 10 or 12 AWG? And I assume you have the LC-1 IC.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1641
I use their BJC 10 AWG cables. And yup, the LC-1 ICs. You really can't beat the price.

The ICs are not the fanciest things to look at, but they sound far better than the AudioQuest cables I was using previously.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 40
Thanks David. One other thing, did you opt for techflex for your IC's?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1642
I did on the first pair I ordered, but then I quickly realized that the techflex is more of a nuisance than anything else.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 41
Excellent thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 139
I am using Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker cables and Crystal Oval IC and loving them.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 42
David, which banana plugs are you using, the compression or locking? I kinda like the looks of the locking plugs.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7953
Blue Jeans is a good budget cable but won't compare to van den Hul, Analysis Plus or any of the other good cables. I don't advocate spending a fortune but a small investment upfront can make a big difference in the end result, especially considering the gear you have.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 466
So this is my answer to the speaker wire question:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq10.html

Comments? Is it useful?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1643
Hey Steve,

To answer your question, I'm using spades on my one system (they're actually quite large and clunky). If your speakers have small binding posts they may not work. On my other system I'm just using bare wire.

Just a hunch, but I feel that bare wire makes a better connection.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 43
I'm going to give BJC's a try just for the fun of it. If I don't like them they have 100% return policy. I want to see how their IC's compare to my XLO's which are more than triple in cost. I know most here don't like Monster cable, so I will compare them to BJC's 10 AWG speaker cable. I will post my finding after a good listen.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3282
FYI, Art and I disagree on this issue. I prefer the Chord intercnnects (anything from Chord Cobra3 upwards) allied to Naim NACA5 cable. I admit finding the Naim cable may be difficult.

Bronze Member
Username: Shari

Knebworth, Hertfordshire UK

Post Number: 17
Hi

I have the Sttafs but the Cursa3 and Maia3. After lots of changing about and advise, mainly from Frank, a while back I have got chord chorus alllied with naim nac5 speaker cable. The naim cable puts a bit of excitement into the music and makes it a little more dynamic than the forma cable I was using (rumour). I also single wired into the back of the Sttafs bit made jumpers from the Naim cable and plugged the cables in diagonally to get a more balanced sound. Works great for me

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 45
Thanks for all the advice, I couldn't have come this far without your help. I also ordered the Mira 3 today, pretty excited about that.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 59
Just got my BJC cables. I just hooked up the LC-1 IC, WOW. I can't believe what I've been missing. The previous IC's were XLOHTPRO's. Bass is much much tighter and mid range is more up front. Vocals are amazing. Actually everything is far better, it's almost like a different system. Can you tell I'm excited? Anyway I have to go terminate my BJC speaker cables and hook those up. I will give an update when I've had a chance to give a good listen.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1683
Awesome Steve! I like my BJCs too. I find them very neutral sounding.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 60
I now have the BJC speaker cable hooked up. The upgrade isn't as much as the IC's were but it's definitely an improvement over the Monster cable. Bass has improved with the BJC's speaker cable, as in more bass. Vocals are very natural sounding with this set up. Compared to the old IC's and speaker cables it's now a more revealing sound with a lot more detail. The Sttaf's have never sounded so good. Next week I should have the Mira 3, oh boy. When I pick up the Mira 3 I'm going to bring home some of their best IC's & speaker cables to compare to the BJC's, should be fun. I'll give another update at that time.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 61
David, just wanted to thank you again for BJC referral as it is working out very well.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1685
You're welcome! Glad you like them.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 370
You haven't heard the best of them yet. If they're brand new, it will take a while for them to fully settle in and sound their best.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 62
The Mira 3 arrived today. I've got it hooked up and I'm going to let it run for a few days before I get serious about the audition. So far I've played some CD's but mostly my wife has been watching Satellite TV through it. My initial impression so far is positive, but I haven't turned it up too much though. I'd like to get it in the upper rang to really see what it is capable of. Is it ok to turn it up to the 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock range this new? So far I've had the volume around the 10 - 11 o'clock range, but that is a relatively low volume. I will also have to get a remote as it did not come with one. I thought the Mira 3 came with one. Once it has run in for a bit I will post a review.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 63
Chris, yes they are new. I didn't realize cables needed a run in time, but thats great they might even get better then.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 64
Oh I almost forgot, what power cord should I use with the Mira 3? It came with a 18 AWG cord but I am using it with the 14 AWG that came with my HK receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11068
Steve, if you can get hold of a cord from Van Den Hul for a trial, you should try one. Art has been very successful with that setup.
I suggest using whatever you have for now until you are familiar with what the Rega does, and the unit has run a couple of hundred hours first.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8011
Kimber PK10 is inexpensive and works well. The only van den Hul power cord for amps is the Mainstream and it's expensive...the power cord for the amp is my only non vdH cable. I would love to have the Mainstream as I'm sure it would improve my ystem even more but at over $500 it ain't happenin' soon.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 372
What Nuck said. Power cord can wait for a bit. I only have tried a few, but settled on a cord from Black Sand (Violet Z1). It was the only one where the improvement was notable from my MAC cable. That being said, we have quite different amps so results of course may vary.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3307
Steve,

It looks cheap and nasty but give the stock cord a go. You may find that it still sounds better even though the other is better specified.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8013
With my Rega the stock cord sounded better than the 14 ga Naim power cord that I had, but the Kimber opened the Rega way up without destroying the sound which I bought the Rega for begin with.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 65
Well the Mira 3 has been running for about 26 hours now, only turned it off a few times to switch IC's & power cords. It has really opened up. Vocals were a little less revealing as well as the mid range but now it is really settling into it's self. I have turned it up once or twice, ok maybe more than that, to see what the upper levels are like and I'm very impressed. It doesn't sound compressed or strained and seems like there is air around instruments. I hope I'm saying this right. At times during songs when one instrument ends and another begins there is a quietness I haven't experienced before. It's like all the instruments are there playing in their own space, not playing over one another. Vocals now are really nice. Played Sarah Mclachlan's "Surfacing" CD and her voice is very natural sounding and the music is warm and detailed. Her voice seems to float in the air instead of being destroyed by the instruments. I also switched IC's again to see what they are like with the Mira 3. And again the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 IC blows the XLOHTPRO's away. Much more detailed and clear with tighter bass. With the XLO IC's Sarah sounds like she is singing with a sheet between her and the mic. When switching power cords I found no noticeable difference. So far very happy with the purchase. I would like to thank Art, Frank and many others who have helped me along the way, I really appreciate it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8034
Sounds like you are enjoying your Mira 3 and more importantly have taken a step closer to the music and that's what matters. Cheers!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3313
Good news Steve, now run it in. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us