Wharfedale opus speaker questions

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 435
Im going to finally match my opus center speaker with some opus fronts, Im thinking of getting the opus 1`s but would like to know if anyone has compared the first series with the new opus line up?

I could get the opus 2`s but I have read that some sujest that you need some room for them to breath, I will be fitting them into my hometheater/listening room wall cabnet thingy 20"x20" cut outs, my H/K 645 seems to holdup to the opus center fine but im looking into getting a B&K 5 or 7 channel amp, unless someone has a better idea or an amp to sell me, I should be able to use the pre out in the H/K to the amp and make it work untill I can aford a processor, I love listening to 5 channel stereo on my H/K anyway,

I will be getting the speakers from Terry (at your service electronics) I have had good luck with him, very nice guy to talk to

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 193
Just wanted to repeat my response to you, in case you don't see the thread on the other forum.

I have the Wharfedale Opus 2 and Opus Center Channel first series versions. I've had them for four years. They are wonderful speakers. I won't part with them.

Never had any problems with their function. They are quality, well-built and well-designed speakers.

Only had a slight problem with the plinth on one of the speakers. But I was able to get that fixed.

I've never heard any of the new version two Opus models, yet.

In my opinion, I would simply go for the version one Opus models and not concern myself with the new version two.

What ever changes/improvements they made to the new version two, can't be worth the extra money. They are pretty much double the price of the version one Opus. I can't imagine it being worth it. The version one Opus series is great. I'd go with that and save the extra cash for a nice power amp or a pre amp .....or source player.

P.S. the Butler Audio TDB 5150 (and all Butler amps) are a great match with the Wharfedale Opus series (Version One).

If you were you, I'd take the left over cash and put towards an amp like that.

I can direct you to an authorized Butler Audio dealer who offers outstanding prices on Butler amps; if you ever decide to go that way.

Just my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 436
thanks NMYTREE, I was wondering what it was going to take to get a respons, and I was hoping that you would respond, I keep reading old threads from 2004 to 2006, some say that the opus speakers are one of the most under rated speakers out there, I was hoping that the last few years they would catch on but I think it has declined even more hear in the US, the problem is the fact that no body can listen to them because there are to few who carry them, I was sucked in to the diamond series by they quality build and there great prices so I took a chance and bought them and was NOT disapointed, I desided to go for the opus center because of the none ported design and to take it to the next level, I am so impressed with the opus center that I have to match it up, I desided to go with the first opus 1`s since there lower height will match better with the height of the center channel, plus they will be slightly tucked into the cabnets and the price is rite so I can spend more on an amp as you sujest, thanks, my only problem is I want the rosewood but the piano black is awsome too, and my center is black, but Im leaning to the rosewood,

I have around $1200 to spend on a used or refurb 5 channel amp, I have been watching the b&k amps on epay go for $900 to $1200, do you think I could get a used or refurb butler for around that? and what do you think of rosewood vs piano black
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us