Quick diagnose - Onkyo Receiver Issue

Username: Midnight0045

Post Number: 6
Hello

I own a onkyo tx-sr600 and there was recently power surge, blowing or short circuiting the receiver. the receiver has worked fine, ie no speaker output issues or any other known problems with it

The receiver currently recognizes that it is plugged in (red standby light lights up when plugged in) and after i push the power button there is no display or sound or anything, once the power button is pushed the red light does go away, as it should, and there is a click that you should hear as well.. there is just nothing afterwards

i think this is an easy fix, and would like to ask this forum what i am looking at to fix it myself?

a fuse? powersupply? is there a mini amp involved inside? any sodering required?

Thank you for any insight!!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 457
Assuming your receiver is out of warranty you are looking for a blown fuse. That would probably be the only user servicable part in the box! Good luck!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10996
yep

Post Number: 7
cooool! thats great news!, the fuse is located inside the unit or outside? is it a special fuse, where can these be purchased?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 458
Well it does not look as though there is a fuse holder on the back panel so it will be inside. UNPLUG THE RECEIVER, take the cover off and look for a fuse near where the power cord is attached to the circuit board. Hopefully you will see that it is blown and find a replacement.

Am I correct in thinking your receiver runs on 220V?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 587
There may be more than one fuse as is the case with HK receivers. If you can source the fuse(s) for replacement this may correct the problem assuming they are blown. In most receivers the fuses have an almost thread-like wire so you will have to examine them under good light. You also will need to disconnect the transformer from the rest of the power supply for an added measure of safety as this completely isolates the input side-ac input and transformer from the output supply- filter caps, voltage reg. circuits and transistors. In all but possibly the cheapest equipment the wires coming off the transformer will all connect to a plastic plug which connects to another plastic plug usually on a circuit board. Gently disconnect this,you will probably have to press a tab on the plug. Replace the fuses not touching them with your bare hands, wear a latex glove or use a piece of cloth to hold them. After they are replaced reconnect the transformer, replace the unit cover and give it a shot. This may be a fix if it is in fact the fuses and hopefully they blew in time before damaging the transistors in which case you might as well scrap the unit as these are probably a proprietary design and expensive to replace assuming you could find someone even willing to do the work. Good luck,let us know how it turns out.

Post Number: 8
i've done some research and have the cover off the receiver

the 6.3 amp 125V fuse is definitely blown.. completely blacked out inside the glass so that's the good news!

Just a quick question, when replacing the fuse, can i buy a 6.3 amp 250V fuse? or do i need to just get the exact 6.3, 125V fuse?

Thanks for all of your help! this forum is amazing

Silver Member

Post Number: 591
Matt: Buy the exact replacement and follow the steps I outlined previously. That is good news, hopefully no other components are damaged. Let us know what happens.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3259
I have a nasty feeling it's not just the fuse. The fuse may have blown as a last resort. See how you get on, but don't be surprised if the unit just blows your replacement fuse. If it does this, it needs to go back to a qualified technician, I'm sorry to say.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11012
If the fuse is blackened, then it has been shorted, or at least seen a huge amount of current.
Good luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 593
The fuse should blow before the ouput side(rectifier,filter caps,transistors) receives an overcurrent from the input(AC) side.This is what the fuses are for to prevent damage from an overcurrent on the input side from damaging components on the output side. It's likely the surge made it through the line in through the transformer before it was stopped(hopefully) by the fuses. This probably could have been prevented in the first place had he used a good surge protector/line conditioner.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3267
Surge protectors kill the sound, flattening it like a pancake. Use them only if you absolutely have to due to unstable mains for example.

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
A purely opinionated statment my friend, most folks realize a real improvement,using a sp/lc, particulary with video equipment. This has been well documented, many,many times.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3272
No, most folks don't. They perceive an improvement due to one particular aspect of the presentation having changed, without taking into account the potentially bad effects on other parts of the presentation. This too has been documented many many times including by members of this forum after I told them to whip out their SP/LCs.

In other words you may realize a lower noise floorcourtesy of the new LC you've put in, thus improving bandwidth and dynamic range, but if the new sound is slower thanks to reduced slam and attack (that's what LCs do, control the amount of energy passing through them), the overall effect is not good. However, the immediate impression upon putting in the LC is that the sound's improved thanks to the lower noise floor.

So far, and I've tried quite a few, I haven't found one that doesn't introduce some kind of weakness to the sound.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11018
On a kit with an acceptable existing noise floor, plugging the amp straight into the wall is soooo much better!

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 237
I'm not arguing this and in fact need to try it myself to compare but what's the chance of a power surge and loosing your equipment or being stuck with a hefty repair bill. Is it rare to get a surge that can damage an amp? There's always a risk/reward trade off. Any concerns with leaving it plugged into the wall during lightening storms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 602
Line conditioners clamp in the nanosecond range and AC travels slightly slower than than the speed of light through inductors, your brain can perceive this?!!! Thats the best one I've heard all year. We been here before, don't take my word ask any producer of quality sp/lc's in a inquiry letter or e-mail and they will affirm that sp/lc ARE NOT current limiting, only power supplies are.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11022
The sales guys said the same thing, ER.
But myself and more than a few others have really proven to ourselves that these devices take away from a powerful amp.
My big amp was plodding and lazy through a conditioner. This was gone when I went to a dedicated circuit alone.
Much faster and way more life to the music, particularly under heavy load.

George, for a big power amp, the first thing in line is the power supply(beyond the fusing).
Mine, as an example, is a 70 lb blob of copper that should not be affected should anything happen.
However, the rest of the sensitive stuff still runs through a protector. I also have a ups for the preamp, because it goes into fits if the power flickers.

Post Number: 9
i like where this thread has gone!! :-)

surge protectors aside, i replaced the 6.3 amp 125 volt tube fuse... and the receiver works perfectly, thanks so much to the insight on this forum.. lot of incredible audio knowledge

cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 604
Congrats Matt! I'm glad to be of assistance. Now you can get back to the music.

ER
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us