HELP

Username: Sik29

Post Number: 1
I have a VSX-1017TXV-K receiver, a brand new Samsung HDTV, a Sony DVD player and a Time Warner HD DVR cable box. The way I have everything hooked up is as follows: For the TV it is Component and RCA cables OUT of the HD DVR box and going into Component and RCA IN on the back of the TV and Optical OUT of the HD DVR box into Optical IN 1 (DVR/VCR) on the receiver. I did this type of connection because this way I can watch TV with the receiver and TV speakers on at the same time and have the receiver decode HD channels in 5.1 surround sound.

For the DVD player the connection is as follows: HDMI OUT of the Sony DVD player into HDMI IN 1 on the TV and I'm using a Coaxial audio cable going out from the Sony DVD player into Coaxial IN 1 (DVD/LD) on the receiver and RCA cables going OUT from the Sony DVD player into AUDIO IN on the back of the TV.

My problem is whatever I am watching, weather it is TV or a DVD there is a HUGE echo and it sounds like a really bad concert hall. When I turn the volume down/mute on the receiver the echo goes away but when I turn the volume back up the echo returns. I have talked to Samsung tech support about this problem and was told the there is nothing wrong with my TV or the way I have it wired.

I have tried every type of cable connection/configuration that I can think of and nothing works and I am totally convinced that this is a problem with the receiver and I am also convinced this is a setting problem.

Please help me with solving this because I am at wits end.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 451
What happens when you turn down the volume of your TV speakers?

Post Number: 3
The echo goes away

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 452
That is good news and the solution then is simple. The echo is cause by a delay between your TV and receiver. Use one or the other of either your TV or your receiver but not both. There really would be only one reason I could think of to use the TV speakers at all and that would be late night viewing where the surround and/or the subwoofer might keep people awake. Then, of course, you wouldn't have the receiver turned on.

You did not mention what speakers you are using but I have to think that almost ANYTHING will sound better that the TV speakers hooked to your Pioneer.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Post Number: 4
someone sent me this solution: ***The problem is you are going from your source into your TV which processes the
audio from analog to digital which creates the delay and then the signal is sent to our receiver for processing. Your best way would be to keep your component and rca connectors going to the TV and use a fiber optic or coax digital from the Time Warner box to the receiver. This way the video and audio will remain in sync even though they are going to two different sources.***

Any opinions on if this solution would work is greatly appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10979
SK, give it a try.
Jim made a simple solution to try as well.

Post Number: 5
I tried the above suggestion using a coaxal cable and it didn't work. I'm having Time Warner come up to look at the DVR box and hopefully that will work and it's just a setting that I missed.

Post Number: 6
Jim,

Sorry I didn't mention what speakers I am using. They are Sony sats and sub and Polk rear surround. This speaker system and receiver sounded sweet with my old TV (Sony 32in flat screen)and DVD player. I just want my new setup to sound the same way.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3249
Steve,

There is nothing wrong with your setup. The echo is caused by the TV taking less time to process the signal than the AV receiver. Let me put it this way:

You should NOT have both surround sound system and TV speakers on at the same time. You should not do this because you will get an echo! The way to use the system is to stick to one or other.

If all you want is to watch the news via the TV speakers, leave the main system switched off. If you want to enjoy full surround sound, switch on the system and mute (or reduce the volume to zero on) the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us