TDL Speakers

Username: Shanel

SouthallUK

Post Number: 1
Hi I am new to this nice site.

I'm very interested in one day getting some compact floor standing TDL speakers, maybe a pair of Studio 1 M's or the O.75 from TDL. I do like the transmission line sound, considering my rega Ela's are quarter wave transmission line speakers. But they are not full transmission lines if you know what I mean.

I'm using a nice NAD C272 power amp with a rotel pre amp, would the TDLs be ok with this set up? And just to say my music taste is just Grunge rock and lots of techno and some Jazz. And many other things.

My bedroom is square shaped, size is 11ft long and 9ft wide.

Regards

Shane

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13045

" ... considering my rega Ela's are quarter wave transmission line speakers. But they are not full transmission lines if you know what I mean."

Nope, I have no idea what you mean. The idea of a "quarter wave resonator" is to use a strong resonant point of the wave length to gain bass extension without the size of enclosure a "full transmission line" would require. Transmission lines are roughly lumped in with quarter wave pipes and both enclosure types share similar characteristics. There is really no such thing as a "quarter wave transmission line" - the terms being redundant. You can have a generic "transmission line" which relies on a quarter wave resonance and you can have a "quarter wave pipe" which is broadly similar to a transmission line but not always the same.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/classic.html

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/tqwp_e.html

A square room would have problems that should be addressed - all square rooms have problems. But 11X9 is not a square.

What exactly are you asking? Would the NAD drive the TDL's? Yes, the amp will play and the speakers will make sound. You'll need more information about the specific speaker you are considering before anyone can tell you how well it will play.

Generically, transmission lines are not the most efficient speaker types and therefore would not be what I would assume as the first choice for grunge.

SouthallUK

Post Number: 2
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, My room is square shaped, maybe I'm getting the size wrong.
And sorry for being wrong saying quarter wave transmission line.

Thank you

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13046

No problem. The links are for you to read and learn from.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1551
I'd be interested to hear the Rotel pre/NAD power combo. The two would cancel eachother out, lol. Or maybe they'd compliment eachother?

SouthallUK

Post Number: 3
David,

My NAD and Rotel combo sounds very good, it has a nice warm smooth silky sound. But, the NAD has a lot of power!! I once had Linn sara speakers on the NAD, and the NAD had the perfect power to drive them.

You don't have to believe me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us