Nothing new under the sun?...The Tekton 4.5 Open-Baffle

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2034
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D260292488279&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Upload

From Tekton
-A primary driver is placed on an open baffle (dipole).

-The rear pressure wave from the primary driver is simply nullified by a second driver that has been placed in close proximity.

-The two interacting drivers work in a tandem arrangement to produce a perfectly locked, push-push/pull-pull nullifying vibrational pattern.

-At lower frequencies, there is no real acoustical energy being generated and/or radiated from the rear side of the baffle (monopole, omni-directional bass). At higher frequencies, it acts like a dipole for wonderfully sweet, open mid-range/treble. Please also note that the baffle is 1/10th the size of a traditional dipole, so imagine the beautiful effect that is achieved when you acoustically remove the typically giant, open baffle boundary object from the room. Also imagine now being able to own an open baffle that operates on your desktop.

If these are an improvement on their already outstanding 4.5, then expect them to be quite outstanding indeed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2037
Here's the sub.:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1227448245&/Tekton-Design-Open-B affle-12

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 296
Looks interesting CM. I am looking for better speakers to run music through the computer. May fit the bill.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2038
Let us know if you pick up a pair.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2072
More interesting stuff from Tekton

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tekton-Design-Fostex-Full-Range-4-5-WB-speakers_W0QQitemZ250 305876534QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250305876534&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66% 3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Tekton Design Model 4.5 WB specifications:

One pair of loudspeakers, featured in black... although we have all colors available

Entirely built from precision-machined, rock-solid tool-plate aluminum billets

Proprietary 4.5" Fostex drivers

Stunning proprietary "stacker" enclosure design

Perfectly matched and acoustically balanced in every way

92dB 1W/1m reference SPL, 40Hz -- 20kHz effective frequency response, 8 Ohms nominal impedance

Dimensions: 18" tall x 11.5" wide x 8" deep -- 80lbs each

5-year guarantee (excluding obvious abuses)

Made in the U.S.A.

Free shipping to United States & Canada

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10962
I would really like to read a few reviews on these, CM.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3241
Hmm this looks like an isobaric arrangement without the cabinet. Isobaric configuration does pretty much the same thing and has done so for 30 years (Linn Isobarik, Neat Ultimatum and Momentum, Totem Mani-2).

The only differences here are:

1. He's using a fullrange driver.
2. The primary driver is in an open baffle.

He claims that because of the arrangement the high frequencies act in a dipole arrangement. I can't see how since high frequencies beam more than low frequencies and so the rear firing frequencies are absorbed in the rear cab.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe it's a really good arrangement. But given that isobaric configurations have been around for so long I don't see how he can claim a patent on it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2073
As to the 4.5 Open-Baffle, the fact that it's not a sealed chamber means that it's not isobaric, I think?

The 4.5 Wide-Baffle is entirely different animal, I honestly don't know the principles at work here:

A stacker design built from solid aluminium billets? Are the billets welded together? Bolted?

All for the tidy sum of $12K.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2245
More unusual goodies from Tekton.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tekton-Design-4-5-Full-Range-Open-Baffle-Hybrid_W0QQitemZ250341636327QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item250341636327&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11249
Wild, man!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us