Name that Amp! (Hint: It's a Marantz...Duh!)

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2033
Came across this amp while perusing the net, but I'm having a heck of a time identifying it. It was unveiled at a CEDIA show (not sure when), that much I know, but that's it. I'm not even sure it was ever put into production.

Upload

It certainly is menacing looking.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 412
Also would make a terrific room heater!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10919
I can't even identify the huge tubes behind the 300 B's, LOL!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1539
I'll take 2 of 'em...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2035
Found it! (after a call to Marantz)

From Enjoy the Music, 2003
"Marantz' Project T1 is not "classic gear" - it only looks that way.
It's actually a state of the art tube amp, currently available only in Japan.
I want one!"

...me too!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2036
You'll need two (unless you're into mono) because they're mono blocks, 50W, came out originally in 1995 (but are still available?), cost $25K each, and those are 845 tubes.

From Wiki
"The 845 power triode is a radio transmitting vacuum tube which can also be used as an audio amplifier and modulation tube. Typically, the plate is machined from solid graphite in order to accommodate extremely high current dissipation (up to 100 watts) and voltage. Some current production 845 tubes have metal plates.

The 845 tube has a bayonet mount and thoriated filaments which glow like lightbulbs when powered up. The glass envelope is about 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches tall, with the a total tube height of about 7 inches. It was first released by RCA in 1931. It saw extensive use in RCA AM radio transmitters"

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10921
Do they come in piano black and chrome?
Now for the appropriate tube cage...

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 297
http://www.marantz.jp/ce/products/past_products/audio/t1/

Who mentioned the heater? I assume that 560W is input power, so it looks to be a nice little 0.5KW heater, although my Japanese is a bit rusty. I'm not sure I could lift the d^mn thing. By the time my wife had me move it five times, I'd have a hernia.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2039
A (rough) translation from Google:

"That, Marantz want to create a suitable vacuum-tube amplifiers. Moreover, gained fame in the past but vacuum tube amplifier, instead of "now" to say the right time, using the latest technology to create a vacuum tube amplifier. I thought of the matter six years ago. Project T-1 The pipe dream, this time of the first music fans to appear in front of everybody, power amplifiers Project T-1.

The heart of the vacuum tube, Project T-1 in the most appropriate and direct heat triode 300B employs 845. Marantz has passed the standards to select the logo of the marantz is used. And, in the heart with each partner's breathing, the sound can extract the most reliable components to vet selected from around the world. Limited stock without the use of the ball and used goods, manufacturing and use of the current variety of products aimed for long life. Project T-1B Under the new perspective, can not be explained by solid-state amplifier new dimension to the finished, Project T-1. While new orthodoxy is. Also, I found the attraction of new music."

...uh, ok.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10922
Methinks that the translation leaves something to be desired.

But the product is desireable, in a won a lottery, want 2 kind of way.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1550
So here's a dumb question, since I don't own any tube gear.

Do you have to let these warm up? What if you leave them turned on all the time (to avoid a warm-up period)? Does this shorten the life span of the tubes?

It probably sucks a lot of electricity too, huh. Most tube amps are Class A, right?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 162
Dave,

My understanding is that tubes have a fixed life much like a CRT TV, only considerably shorter. You wouldn't want to leave them on since you'd be just throwing your money away.
I'm not sure about the Class A, let's let the experts chime in on this.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3234
David,

They do need to warm up after switch-on to reach best performance. However, since these tend to be class A devices with full power effectively being driven through them continuously, the warm up time tends to be relatively short (under 30 minutes), and of course, they should sound good from switch-on - the warm-up effect is only when being critical. A power consumption of 560W is about right for a 50w output in a class A amplifier, but I am rather surprised that it's 'only' 50w given that a single 845 can be used to develop about 27w in pure class A mode. Since there are 4 845s on that beast, I'd expect to see closer on 80w - 95w (80 if running well within the performance envelope of the valves and extending their lives therefore - these valves aren't cheap).

Perhaps Marantz were doing something niftier or really wanted to extend operating range with this design.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1567
Thanks for the info guys.

The reason I was asking is that even my Bryston monos (solid state, obviously) seem to have a warm up period. It takes about 20 minutes or so for them to really start sounding good after I switch 'em on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us