Hgelp please whole system

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4490
hey guys i dont drop by here often and i have no idea about nay home audio lol. So my dad is buying a new tv and he wanted some nice speakers to go along with it. So I was thinking about using my 15" si mag as the sub since ive seen someone(paully) use it b4 but i dont know what kind of amp i need for it also some nice speakers and so on i am looking to spend about 500 bucks or so maybe a little more. on pretty much everything besides the sub and box since i already have those. thankyou

Silver Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 219
i suggest grammar and spell check.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 403
That's the chance Charlie takes when jumping to this forum from the car audio one!!!

So Charlie are we looking at $500.00 for everything?

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4495
yes 500 for the whole thing. I am sorry about the grammar, i was trying to be quick before class started.

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
A decent sub amp, at least one powerful enough to push a car sub around is likely to cost the entire $500.00. I would suggest going out "listening". You can start with a place like Best Buy but DON'T BUY FROM THERE. You just want to get some idea about how different systems behave.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4800
Your not going to need all that power. In house that sub will need maybe 3-400 watts and that would shake the room. Ever see what a good 15" sub on 1000W will do in a house, it is unreal not to mention you will probably overpower the satellite speakers. I have played my 5200 in my garage and have several new dents in my car from sh!t falling off the walls haha! Polo.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18299
"Ever see what a good 15" sub on 1000W will do in a house, it is unreal"

Try an 18" on 1000w.

Charlie for the thumps your setup will do the job. Noting all the criticism you'll get from true home audioholics as long as you don't go insane you'll get what you're looking for. You can make a powered sub or passive one. Powered subs use a plate amp and I got mine from partsexpress.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-808

They've gone up in price since I got mine. I think I paid $350. If you go passive you'll need an external sub amp. Something like this.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-810

A little cheaper. What kind of box design you'll want is up to you and always tune lower. Room positioning is important and be sure to adjust the amp so you don't drown out the rest of the system.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10899
While I understand where charlie is coming from, I rather doubt that dear old Dad has the same idea of bass for music.
Thumping in a car isn't music in a room.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18308
Well he's incorporating his sub to his Dad's tv so I can only assume it will be mainly HT use.

And today's youth have some pretty upbeat Dads I must say.

***Humbly speaking of course***

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4496
ya guys nuck is kinda right but trust me, my dad likes it to bump also. I was thinking about putting the sub in a 2.7 cuft sealed box hence the one i already have. Or guys do you think id be better of using one of my 12" AA atlas's for this. The other thing I need some speakers lol.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4801
Ya, old people cannot handle bass like we can! Yesterday my father in law (78 years old) asked to hear my sh!t. I told him ok stand here which was 5 ft from the open driver door. I played Kanye West's 'Love Locked Down' and his shorts started to move. Funny to see the look on his face he seemed to get mad that a person would actually have that in a car! Hahahhaha. I call it a punk killer.. Polo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
All this fun aside the suggested sub amps, good as they may be, blow a huge chunk out of the $500 budget.

BTW- How many speakers are we talking here and do you also need a AVR?

Another question for you Charlie, do you see this system expanding over time (like I have to assume your car system has)? I ask because a HTiB then would not be the way to go. If you wanted to get a speaker system now and add the sub later...

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4498
For the AVR question we just have a regualr sony cd player with some speakers so that would be the one wed b using for now. Also it most definetly will be expanding. just looking for a amp and a couple speakers for right now. To get going. Then a little later ill buy him a new AVR for christmas and so on from there. But basically just looking for what i will need to hook up the sub. Obviously the amp. But i dont know what wires I need to get and what not then maybe 2 speakers to go along with it for right now till we have money to expand maybe when I sell some of my car audio things.

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
At least for the speakers I would suggest looking into a pair that could be used for surrounds later on. I would also still recommend going out shopping for brands that you like the sound of. Just as an example, if you became a huge Klipsch fan you could easily purchase some small book shelf type speakers to use as your mains until such time as you expand. You then move the book shelves back to the surrounds and buy some towers and a center with the new AVR. Make sense?

For the sub amp I can't really help you too much but I just wonder if perhaps one of the bigger names in car amps might have a home (120 V AC)model.

But of course if it were me, I would probably be looking into a 12 volt power supply to run the spare car amp I had laying around with the spare sub speakers!!!

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4499
well i actually dont have any spare amps lol they cost to much money so ive either sold them or am using them. But i think i might buy my dad the amp paul was telling me about. That will leave about 250 for speakers what would you guys suggest just to start out with in this price range.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4500
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3971

what about something like this guys??? just for right now until we want to go bigger??

then maybe grab that amp also and just have those speakers and my sub would that be reasonable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
As system like that would be terrific IF you actually had a chance to listen to tham and liked what you heard!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1523
"just for right now until we want to go bigger?? "

Why not just go bigger now instead of buying junk that will either (a) break in record time, or (b) you will quickly tire of and want to upgrade.

This is not meant to be slight on you at all Charlie - it's more BTDT.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5580
Your not going to get anywhere with $500 as a budget :-(

I've yet to start my Home Audio since my car cost me so much with all the SQ gear..

I need to find some replacement dome mids for my vintage a/d/s towers though and work on a nice receiver :-)

Silver Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 535
$500 will be hard to do whole system! I'm almost there with just fiberglass, resin & MDF! Ha Ha Now I'm changing a bunch trying to add 2 8" in rear, I want 4 2 front 2 back, to go with 6 6.5, 2 4x6 or maybe 2 5.25 which I like better, and 2 12' all Memphis Car Audio

Silver Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 536
Sorry I was think in my Jeep, I rebuilt my home stereo speakers, It is one of the mid 90's pioneer systems 500w per side, my subs where falling apart so I took my 2 jbl 1000 watt subs and 2 10" Black and Gold MTX Subs made seperate boxes both tuned around 40 hrz. it was a had to because the amp is ran at 8ohm. so each speaker has a 15", 10", 6.5" & tweet for a home unit I am pretty happy with it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us