Amp for B&W DM601 S3

Username: Mariusg

LausanneSwitzerland

Post Number: 2
Hi there, I would need some help choosing an amp for my B&W DM601 S3 speakers. Second hand or new doesn't matter. Just want it to run my speakers more than good enough and be in the budget class..

Been looking at some little older rotel modells, are they any good with my speakers (Rotel RA-971 MkII or a like?) and how much should I pay for something like this? How much power do I really need to be able to enjoy my speakers? Mainly listen to classic rock, classical, jazz and opera..

Would be pleased to have some help and my budget is around 500$ for amp and cd player (come with tips for a cd player if you can too).

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3210
Marius

The 601s were never difficult to drive. They were an easy load and anything with a decent 40wpc or more would work well in a normal room (anything up to 35sqm). Consider:

NAD C525BEE CD player and NAD C355BEE amplifier

Cambridge Audio brand (I don't know the model numbers sorry)

Buy some half decent interconnects (do not use the standard piece of string that comes in the box). And also buy something better than the most basic speaker cable - even decent quality two core mains flex is better than standard bellwire.

Regards,
Frank.

LausanneSwitzerland

Post Number: 3
So in reality I could use even the NAD C315BEE on the these speakers without a problem?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3215
I've not tried the C315BEE yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't do the job. Of course, how good it is remains another question. :-)

LausanneSwitzerland

Post Number: 4
True,

Triend any of the older NAD amps? Was thinking of picking up one second hand if I found something good..

Saw 1 Nad C320BEE used for 200€, too much?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1472
"do not use the standard piece of string that comes in the box"...

That's awesome Frank, lol.

I've heard B&Ws paired with Cambridge Audio, and it was quite smooth. But I'm a bit of a CA fan.

CA 540A would do the trick, I imagine.

Bronze Member
Username: Bluemark81

NB Canada

Post Number: 55
Rotel. That is what I use with my 804's and the synergy is great. Same company, so made for each other.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3225
The 320BEE was a very good amp and was the precursor to the C325BEE. Had many loyal friends. No idea about second hand prices in Switzerland so I don't know what a good price is I'm afraid.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10901
That Bowers speaker is one that I tried out before buying an amp a while back.
I listened to NAD pre-power setup, and was less than enthralled.
The Rotel setup was spot on, for me at that time. Just perfect.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1526
I know what you mean, Nuck.

You've never really been a NAD fan, huh?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10904
Not really, David, although I am in the minority in that dep't, and with good reason.
NAD makes good stuff for a good price. Strong and heavy, good power supplies and drive most speakers without strain.
Remember that I have a high tone hearing loss, which has guided me to different stuff, like the Rotel I liked, and the Classe that I love.
Both of those brands work best with Bowers speakers, I find, which is probably why B&W bought the Rotel/Classe groups back in 2000.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1532
Well I guess I'm in the minority as well Nuck, and I can say this in all fairness, having owned NAD gear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us