NAD T762 low signal via digital input

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I renetly purchased a NAD T762 receiver. When I connect my DVD or CD player via optical fiber or coaxial connection the output level is very low. In fact it is so low my subwoofer does not even turn on. If I connect the DVD or CD using the ananlog connection the sound level is much higher and is similar to other analog sources (VCR, Tuner, Sat, etc.).
I tested this with other NAD reciever T742 and the level is much the same if you connect using digital or analog. The local dealer here tells me this is a known issue with the T762. The truth is that I find it hard to believe that this will be the case with a system that got so many good reviews. Any idea what could be the problem? defected D/A card??
By the way - the problem existed from day one.
Thanks,
Itay

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 334
Irousso,

When you say that the "input level is low", what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that the volume is low? If you say that it is a known issue, I am not doubting what your dealer told you...just that I have never heard it here before, and we have MANY NAD users here (including myself-I have a T762 as well). If you could provide some more information, it would be helpful. What volume do you have to turn the unit to to get a good sound from it? What do you have your subwoofer crossover set at? How do you have your subwoofer connected? These last two questions may help answer why your subwoofer doesn't turn on.

With more information, we may be able to diagnose a problem, but in general, you should not expect every input device to be at the same "level". Depending on the device being used, the volume level changes considerably. My normal listening level on DVD's is between -25db and -15db. My normal level on music is between -20db and -30db, while my normal level on my X-Box is comparatively very low...more like -25db to -35db. It just depends on the device. The differences in "levels" you are experiencing MAY be normal, but then again, if your dealer is correct, it may be a problem. Give us some more info and we may be able to help.

irousso
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the replay Johny!
I meant low volume. When the CD/DVD is connected using the analog input, I normally hear music at -25db. If I want really to have a blast (and my wife and kids are not around) I go up to -10dB. When the connection is digital - I need to go 0 dB and this will be at descent level. I just can imagine this is a proper funcion - cause if you accidently switch to other mode (tuner VCR) you will get heart attack - since it will be too loud.

As for my connection - my sub is connected to the receiver using a special cable. However, I assume it is connected well since it works perfectly with everything except digital input...
Itay

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 335
irousso,

Like I said, you should expect some differences when switching between sources, but that does sound a little high (0db). I can't imagine going to 0db on my unit as I am sure it would be too loud to handle (not to mention speaker damage). How close is 0db to the "top end" on the T762? I never have tried. I would try to get ahold of another DVD player from someone else (preferably of a different brand) and see what you get with that. See if that has any effect on the volume levels. It may just be that with the specific DVD/CD combination you have the volume levels will be lower.

A good habit for anyone to get into is to turn the volume down before you switch sources...but accidents will still happen.

irousso
Unregistered guest
Johny - thanks for the advice :-)
The max amplification in the 762 is +18dB.
I tried it with my DVD (pioneer) and a NAD CD - the results are the same.
It does not sound like my problem is typical for this model - in fact I love the way it sounds its just amazing - I hope I will be able to get this problem fixed...
Itay

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 336
irousso,

From here on, I think I will have to defer to the "expert" tech guys on the forum. I really do not have much in depth technical information to give as far as a specific diagnosis for your problem. One regular member of the forum, John A., is very knowledgable when it comes to technical aspects of NAD receivers. I will say that it does sound like you may have a problem and that this is definately not typical of the T762. As I said, I have a T762 and I have never had my unit above -10db, and that was when I was "blasting" pretty good. Maybe take your DVD player to your dealer and try it on one of his/her NAD receivers. If it turns out to be a problem, I would ask for an exchange (provided the warranty is still good).

Good luck, and I am interested to hear what some of the resident "techies" have to say about this potential problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 98
I'm curious to know if either of you have calibrated your receivers using the test tones and an SPL meter. If so what was the volume setting required for a level of 75dB from your listening position?

FYI, I have a NAD T742 and the volume level from the ananlog output of my DVD player is approx. 3-4 dB louder than the digital connection. However, if I turn 'Audio Attenuation' ON on the DVD/CD player then the levels are about the same. Also, I required a volume setting of +03dB to hit 75dB on my SPL meter from 10 feet away.

irousso
Unregistered guest
well - I took my DVD to their lab and on a T742 it was perfect - the levels were the same. However, the dealer was saying - "oh you can't comapre since it has a different DTS processor..." - according to him I can't compare it to the 763 either.. so strangly only the 762 has this problem - I really doubt it - I have a strong feeling he is BS'ing me... the problem is how do I get it fixed, the machine is still under warenry - but the place that should give me the service basically BS'ing me...
I sent an e-mail to NAD asking them on the problem...
Itay

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 337
Smitty,

Actually, I calibrated my system using an SPL meter when I first got it, but I haven't done so since. I can't remember what the actual readings were. I will do a test tonight when I get home and report tomorrow.

Irousso,

Yes, you are definately getting hosed by your dealer. Even if this was a "known issue" with the T762 (which I sincerely doubt it is), he should still be willing to work with you to find a solution. If I read your posts right, your dealer is basically saying "deal with it on your own". Am I right? This type of service is unacceptable in my opinion. You did the right thing by emailing NAD. I would try calling too. I don't know exactly where you live, but I think you can find phone numbers for regional distributors on the NAD website...or so I have heard. Try searching there and see if you can find some phone number to call. I would make it very clear to the folks at NAD that your dealer is being difficult in this situation.

What difference would the DTS processor make? Were you even using a DTS source? What is the name of your dealer? Definately sounds like someone that should be avoided.

irousso
Unregistered guest
did they even change/upgrade the D/A and processor between the 726 and the 763?
Itay

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 338
Irousso,

I know that the T762 and T763 are VERY similar in power, features, etc, but I don't know anything about specific components. There had to be some changes in something because the T763 weighs 9 pounds more than the T762. I know that there was some change with the cooling mechanisms between the T762 and T763, but on top of that, I am unaware/ignorant of any changes/upgrades between the two models. If I had to guess, your dealer either doesn't know anything or doesn't want to have to deal with your problems (or both) and is simply blowing smoke up your as*.

Username: Lkng

Post Number: 7
have u play around with the speakers settings?
I have to set my to
FRONT:small
CENTER:small

Sub crossover: ~80
to get the sub going from digital input.

NoPrbl
Unregistered guest
since everyone here has a 762, may I ask if $750 shipped for a refurbished unit with a 1 year manufaturer warranty sounds good?
the more I read about it, the more i like it. My onkyo just passed away, and I need something powerful to feed my power hungry infinity reference standards 1.5 with 12' woofers.

irousso
Unregistered guest
ok - some good news... I basically put the dealer in the corner. I went to another store, they had the T762 on location, we did the test, and obviously all was well. I called him and told him that - I was gentle enough to suggest he probably was confused it with some other model when he said the T762 is defected model that was discontinued...
Anyway - he ordered a new processor card, and hopefully that will solve the problem.
Itay

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 339
Irousso,

Good to hear that you got your problem straightened out. I am glad that you finally got your dealer to give you some service...it is just a shame that you had to go to the lengths that you did to get him to do that. I am sure that it will all work out in the end. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 340
Smitty,

Don't know if you are keeping track of this thread any more...but I finally got around to checking the volume levels of my NAD T762 using an SPL meter. From a distance of about 10 feet, using the test tone from one of the front speakers, my volume setting was -10db to get 75db on the SPL meter. I don't know if this was the same method you used or not...so we may not be able to compare very well.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 103
Jonny,

Yes, I was following this thread. Thanks for taking the time to get that info. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I guess the T762 at -10dB is putting out roughly equivalent power as the T742 at +3dB. I assume you don't normally listen at anywhere near this level?

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 342
Not usually. I may get to -15db on a DVD from time to time, depending on the movie, but normally, I don't go much past -20db. What method did you use for taking your readings? Did you use the test tone? Which speaker did you take it from. This may account for some of the differences also.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 106
I used the test tone and took the readings from all three font speakers at approx. 10 feet away. I belive they were within 1dB of each other.

I'm not really suprised that there's such a difference considering the T762 rating of 100w x 6 vs. the 50w x 5 rating for the T742. Mind you my speakers do have a high efficiency rating (95dB).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us