Paradigm Reference 20 Audition

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1211
Now located in the capital district of Albany, I decided I needed to find a new paradigm dealer because the one I used to frequent is a good distance...and I had to special order studios if I wanted them.

I wandered in on a whim with the fiancee, and asked if they carried the sig. series. They need to order them but they can get them.

Conversation wound up on the studio series, and me auditioning the new 20's. From my brief audition I can say that Paradigm has taken an excellent speaker, and seriously upped the ante.

The 20's have a wholistic, rich sound that I find lacking in many speakers today. These are very easy to listen to for extended periods.

What I found different was in the quality of sound, not necessarily the quantity. Bass was audibly tighter. While it didn't sound as extended as the older 20's (dealer acknowledged speakers could have been positioned better), the taughtness made up for it.

The most impressive thing to these ears was the new tweeter (borrowed from the last iteration of the sig. series) which was relaxed and never forceful.

Highs were very extended and pure. Driver integration seemed much improved with the upgrades. I had always had a soft spot for the studio 20, but when I auditioned the last series next to the s2 I felt that the s2 had a more coherent sound. I can't say I would say the same thing if I were to compare the latest studios with the old sigs.

I walked in there simply looking for options on a second system to put up in my den, and walked out totally impressed. These are speakers that grow on you over time, with nothing that calls attention to itself.

These are speakers that will call attention to themselves in a demo not because of flashy sound, but because of addictive sound.

I am still wondering about the new sigs, with the high-zoot tweet and improved driver design.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7850
Sounds like Gav is enamored...nice writeup!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1904
Gavin, I love the new Studio Line. They are much improved. Also, the new Signature line is also much improved. Absolutely stunning to my ears. IMO It is a speaker that is not mentioned nearly enough on this forum. The new Signature line I would put up there with the best of them IMO.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10835
I always enjoyed the studio 20, but never enough to create the need for a pair.
Must go and listen again, perhaps with better than Rotel gear?

What was the gear, Gavin?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1984
I've also been a fan of the Studio 20 since the first time I heard them, and although they have a ton of competition these days, and I have a few other I prefer, they're still a tremendous speaker.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1213
The gear wasn't that hot... It was a sony es receiver and blu ray player. I could hear the shortcomings of the equipment clearly, but the speakers shone through the garbage (which really impressed me). Here we have a detailed speaker that won't drill your ears out on less than top notch equipment. This is barring that you aren't expecting concert volume levels.

The only time the sound went to outright schitt was when it was turned up loudly. The receiver couldn't cope, and the sound came through compressed, brittle, and strident. At levels that I listen to, I did not notice this.

However, it was easy to hear that the speakers deserved a better source than the blu ray player. Certain details that I am accustomed to hearing in one of my dido cds came out muted and fuzzy.

Even though the gear wasn't up to what most of us would own... It was easy to hear an improvement over the studio 20 of old. The drivers spoke as one and had a smooth, downright addictive sound that is easy to enjoy. I don't like speakers that have a "hifi" sound to them. These just sound real.

I still feel that my kef have superior imaging, but really can't judge that until I hear the studios on a better system. The depth and size of the image is immersive on the kef (at least in my room), whereas I felt that depth presentation on the 20 could be a little better.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1214
Put it this way... This was a brief demo. Sure I wish I could have heard what these were really capable of, but they impressed the heck out of me (especially taking into consideration of what was feeding them).

My kefs aren't going anywhere, but there is a possibility that these may end up in my den. It is too early to say, and I have to do more auditioning.

When you have enjoyed the paradigm sound for going on 6 years the sound gives me a feeling. It's a warm, fuzzy, sink your head into your shoulders and enjoy kind of feeling.

For those that may not know it, I have had a pair of paradigm atoms for 5 or 6 years. My mother now has them in her living room.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10838
Great writing, Gav.

It's a warm, fuzzy, sink your head into your shoulders and enjoy kind of feeling.

Thats where we wanna be, man.

Source be damned, if the speakers can convey something good from that setup, imagine a Cary tube set!
Ahhh sweet music no matter what.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1985
Gav, If your looking for a bargain, as well as a bookshelf that can hold it's own (and dare I say, perhaps better) the Studio 20v.4, consider the humble, now discontinued, $200, Infinity Beta 20.

The Focal JM Lab Chorus 706V would also be on my short list, at or around the Studio 20's price.

Also, I'm not sure when this sucker will be released, but I expect good things from the AV123 X-LS Super Wave Guide. It's something like 2-yrs. overdue, so I wouldn't tell you to wait.

Silver Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 101
Gavin,
Are you referring to the new Studio v5 series that I dont believe has been released yet or the v4 series that is already out?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1215
I have heard the infinity and did not care for it.

This was in reference to v.4 studios. The only v.5 is for the monitor series.

Silver Member

MA

Post Number: 102
That makes sense. The Reference Studio v.5's are releasing in January

Gold Member

Post Number: 1986
Hmmm, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one Gav.

Have you heard those Focal JM Lab 706V?

How about the B&W 685 or Monitor Audio RS1?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1216
Hated the bw... Thought the bass was overblown and that is soundesd boxy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1987
Other than the Paradigm, which we both love, what other speakers in this range do you plan to audition? I really liked the B&W 685, I did not like their CM1 in comparison.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1782
I deffinetly can vouch for the Beta 20's absolutely stupid performace for their retail price,let alone their current closeout prices.I would be very curious to hear the Infinity Classia Monitors,as great as the C336 is,their performance could be a real ear opener.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1217
What didn't you like about the cm1? that was one of the.speakers I wanted to check out. dealers up here carry bw, energy, kef, jamo, klipsch reference, paradigm reference, and a few others.

I really want to check out the totem arros and rainmakers.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1218
I have also been debating on putting the new svs mbs bookshelves through the paces, and if I don't like them I can send them back. The only thing that is making me hesitant is that I did not like the subs they put out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1783
Gavin the Arro is totally different kettle of fish from these other speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1988
The CM1, as I recall, sounded a bit too constrained as compared to the 600 Series, it's not that they sounded bad or deficient, I simply preferred the 600 Series that day. This was a showroom audition, with Cayin tube gear, and very unlike my room & equipment.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10843
Yep, I tried out the 685 on a Rotel kit(as recommended) in a shop in London.
The guy also had them in the big room with Classe and Meridian player(also recommended, but usually the 7 and up Bowers)
Obviously upper end, but closer to my old Classe stuff.
Night and day guys, like me and TW out on the town.
The Bowers do not bloat under tight power, but flab like Homer Simpson with less than very fast slew rate power, it's all about control for them, not just power.

Silver Member

MA

Post Number: 103
Here is a link to a pic of the new Reference 20 v5's.
Scroll all the way to the bottom.
Wood veneers and curved cabintet. Very nice looking.

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/cedia2008//index1.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1989
...Doh!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1990
Upload

Now that is an attractive speaker. Other than the new wood veneer (which looks especially good on that front baffle!), I wonder what other tweaks lay beneath?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7860
I will listen as soon as it's available...if I like I'll be headed home to Paradigm. I've strayed too long.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1219
"if I like I'll be headed home to Paradigm. I've strayed too long."

The paradigm house sound is what keeps me comming back for more. I love it.

And that was exactly my issue with the 685. They were paired to a rotel stereo receiver (can't remember the model), and did not sound great. The bass was a mess, and the whole thing sounded muddy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10846
The more Paradigm look like Bowers, the more I stay away.

Just appearance wise.

These suckers need a lot of grip, so it seems.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 843
They do look sharp. And I loved the sound of them when I auditioned...although it was a few models ago now. Maybe a trip back to the dealer is in order just for grins.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1220
looks like Paradigm is going to take more from the last generation signature than the tweeter.

Silver Member

MA

Post Number: 104
From my understanding the full tweeter of the last generation signature is not in the v4 reference, just the G-PAL dome from the Sig

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10849
I doubt that these will fare any better than the sig's with a receiver.
I last heard the sig's with an Arcam 300, and the treble suffered badly.
Slow and tinny, and I know that the XO and driver are better than that.

Again, I need to go out and give them a try, certainly.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7861
My wife and I heard the Sigs with some Muscial Fidelity gear awhile back...my wife still loves them. I'm not a big MF fan but the sound was very good.

"The more Paradigm look like Bowers, the more I stay away.

Just appearance wise."

Huh?

They look more like the higher end Wharfedales...however...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1784
They do look good,im gonna have to get down to the Paradigm dealer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1992
...Not till Jan/09.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1905
The Monitor V6's are out. V5's Studio's are out in November here in their home turf.

The Beta20 Infinities are a killer for the price. No Paradign Studio 20 though. No NO No NO NO NO NO!! lol.

My dealer said he would give me the STudio 40's for a grand taxes in CDN. BOING!!

Last time I heard the Signature line was the S4's and they were on Anthem Reference stuff. Very very very smooth, and the sound stage was incredible. I was standing only 4 feet away from them and the back up singers sounded like they were 6 feet behind me. Incredible.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1906
"I will listen as soon as it's available...if I like I'll be headed home to Paradigm. I've strayed too long"

That a boy Art. Bring'em on home brother. Studio 20's vs the Totem's? I see another battle gathering at the Art residence for the audio club.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1993
All I'm saying is, don't do a blind shootout between the two on full stomach if you just plunked down $1K for the Studios.

Having said that, I think I want a pair of those new Studio 20s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1909
lol I see what ur saying Chris.

Chris- being as your just a stone throw over the boarder I am guessing you have lots of Paradigm dealers near by? The Studio 20's should be under 1k US as well. I am thinking 850? Am I wrong on this. They are 1k out the door tops here in CDN.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1995
We have a few (none in Brooklyn) in Manhattan. I haven't priced them out in a while, but I'm betting the v.5 we be in the $1K range.

http://www.independentaudiovideo.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1001414

Gold Member

Post Number: 1910
That almost looked like a wicked deal until I read "Sold as each" lol not so much.

That site seemed pricey for some stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1998
Has anyone had the chance to listen to the Monitor Audio RS1 along side the Studio 20?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1924
Never A/B'd them. But my dealer has them both on the floor. And I have listened to them both. Totally different sound. Love them both.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1999
How were the totally different Nick, if you don't mind me asking?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1925
Well to my ears- the RS1's have a more forward, in your face sound. Very quick. The Studio 20's are more laid back, but have that intriguing, warm sound with that big sound stage.

Personally, IMO, If I were buying a pair of speakers and it came down to the RS1's or the Studio 20's, I would buy the Studio 20's. Now when you get to the RS5's or RS6's it would be a different story, however I would be comparing the 6's to the Studio 60's in that case, which I would be easily just as happy with.

Honestly, IMO, the Studio 20's are one of the great bookshelf speakers. They have such a rich, large sound, that just seems to draw you in and lets you listen for hours on end without tearing your ears off. I am looking at a pair right now on Canuck Audio Mart for 600, and they are the new version. I wonder how much for shipping to NY Chris.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/100168-paradigm_studio_20_v4/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2000
That is a very nice deal, but those v.5 are right around the corner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1791
I have to disagree with the Beta 20's not being no Studio 20's,I thought the Beta 20's sounded better than the last Studio 20's that I heard,so yeah I guess you can say their no Studio 20's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1946
lol....your ears Tawaun, not mine. The Beta20's are no Studio 20's IMO. Even my dealer would agree. But hey, everyone hears differently.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1792
True its your ears.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2002
Many dealers have been trained in the secret art of hearing dollar signs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1948
Not with me he doesn't. Long time family friend, who doesn't bull me.

Plus I can hear for myself. We will see when you pick em up Chris, which you prefer. To each their own man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1797
What Chris said,your dealer is still a salesman,even when he's dealing with you,no matter how far your families go back.So I hope what you heard was what you heard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2005
The simple point is that, having not A/B'd the two, I was, at the very least, as impressed with the Beta 20 as I was with the Studio 20, sonically, I really could not find fault with either, but I did prefer the Betas in the end. I also thought the Studio Series should offer real wood veneer at their price point.

I also liked the $600 leftover in my pocket.

I in no way mean to imply that everyone need agree with me on the subjective considerations; however the Betas are amongst the best sub-$1K on the market, regardless of price, period. The build quality, mix of exotic material & solid electronics should make that easily apparent to all, the fact that they routinely sell for $200 plants a seed of doubt in consumers, including myself, who are conditioned to think that more expensive means better, and perhaps this is often true, but in this case it isn't.

Both, Infinity, and Paradigm, have raised the stakes with their new offerings, both now offer real wood veneers, and both have new cabinet designs, and I presume at least some new electronics, so all bets are off when it comes to the Classia & Studio v.5 Series.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1949
Their new Signature line is very good, just expensive.

Tawaun- I hear what I hear regardless. Perhaps I need to take a trip down to my local Best Buy to hear the Infinities again, just to make sure. You comment about my dealer is bogus crap. Everything he has sold me has been for practically his Cost price on the product. Saving me thousands. I has set me aside to ring through 1800 dollar speakers with a customer only so he can ring me through for 1000. Yeah sure, they all want to make a buck. He just hasn't made d!ck off me. Based on what I heard, I stand my ground on what I think of the Paradigm Studio 20 vs the Beta20's. To me, the Studio 20's provide me with a much more musical experience.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2006
Nick, on a different day, in a different room, different electronics, music, so fourth, I might very well prefer the Studio 20s too, they are fantastic, and very well might still wind up with a pair, but the Beta 20 ain't going anywhere.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1806
Mine,neither I love my Beta 20's on another note the Signature series is fantastic and a bargain for their build and their sound,but the Studio series less so,I've always been a fan of the V2 variants that offererd a richer sound and better,build.When I knew the V3's were coming out I rushed to the dealer to hear them,the 100's was what I went to hear,but after their bright sound lackluster build,I bought the Polk LSi15 right next to them,that beat up on them pretty bad.For the build and the performance that V3 100 offered I could'nt dish out that kind of money,that cabinet was the pits.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2007
T, you need to update your profile.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10873
The studio 100's are a POS to be certain, but the 20's on proper stands are fab.
Depth, range and focus.
I only heard better from the Focus 140 on heavy stands(unbelievable with Cary amps), and the B&W 805's on Classe power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2009
Have you heard the Totem Mani-2 yet?

I heard them with a McIntosh rig using an iBook and an external DAC.

On a side note, I just received the new Cambridge Soundworks catalog, has anyone heard any of their Newton II Series speakers? http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=speakers

The only CS speakers I heard was the MC55 5.1 setup, and it was preaty neat for what it was.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1952
Now the Totem Mani-2's are nice. I like.

The Studio 100's ive never been a fan of. Bright? Well I have never heard them as bright, but not worth the money? yep. The best speaker, hands down, IMO, are the Studio 60's. The 20's are a close second. I heard the Sig 2's on some Anthem Statement stuff and...wow...one of the best I have personally heard.

B&W's on Classe power are a totally different speaker than most would of heard B&W. Great IMO. No wonder most recording studio's in Canada use B&W with Classe amps, or PMC and Bryston.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2010
I had a chance to listen to some Focal JM Labs speakers today at Sound By Singer, and all in all, I was pretty underwhelmed. The Chorus 700V & 800V Series were very hard to differentiate from one another when comparing comparable bookshelf models, there was perhaps a bit more difference noticeable in the floorstanding models, but not much, and neither categorically better than the other; also I don't think either series benefited from the Adcom gear the store was using; the sound varied wildly from amp to amp, and none of it was very impressive. Believe it or not, an Arcam HT amp spit out the most lively sound, one of the stereo amps, I think it was the DiVA A70 (which I was told was working fine), was literally unlistenable; the deadest, flattest sounding amp I have ever heard!

The 706V is nice, and was the standout performer in Focal's sub-$1100 offerings. For about $650, it's a good sounding, very attractive speaker, but there are better bargains to be had at or around this price point, IMHO.

I also got to see two interesting amps, A Chronus Integrated from Rouge Audio (Made in PA, so I'm told) for $1800 http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Titan.htm , and the $800 Peachtree Audio Decco http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/peachtree/decco.html , but I didn't have a chance to listen to either extensively.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1497
I'm surprised to hear that about the Focals. I've read a lot of good stuff about them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2011
The Chorus 706V were nice, not exceptional like the Studio 20 for example, the 705V sounded compressed, and everything else was just ok.

I wanted to like them more than I did.

I will say this, the Focal JMLabs "high end" Electra Series speakers are spectacular looking, I did not hear them (I did not want to jerk the salesman around, and take up too much of his time, I was just there for a demo).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2021
I got a chance to Re, Re, Re-audition the Studio 20v.4 this morning at Sound City (the absolute worst showroom, If you want to call it that, in the world) with a Parasound int. amp & Sony carousel player. I don't know if it was the room, the electronics, or the fact that every tweeter in the room, including the Studio 20's, was dinged-up or poked through, but sound like a mess, so this really wasn't a fair audition, because I've heard these before, and they sound infinitely better than they sounded this morning.

Furthermore, while I was hanging around, I was reminded of what hardship our nation has been suffering through, a nice enough looking fellow, who I swear if you listened close enough, you could hear the wind whistling through one ear and out the other, bought what I believe was two cables, one HDMI & one analog stereo, for the bargain basement price of $2850, cash.

Times are tough.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1506
Oh my god. And I agonized over spending 85 bucks on Blue Jeans cables... Jeez.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2022
I almost whispered in the customer's ear..."Mapleshade"...

But everyone has to eat, and I am by and large a Darwinist, and every bit to my core a capitalist.

"Caveat emptor"

Gold Member

Post Number: 1973
lol 2850? What a moron. It is impossible to have any kind of material in any one of those cables that would cost 1/100 of that. How did his bum feel after the sales guy was done with him CM?lol.

Sony Carousel player?LOL!! Oh my F#cK.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2023
The guy was all smiles, perhaps he knows something I don't, in any case he's got more "walking around" money than I do, so why not smile.

Forget about the cable r@pe I witnessed, how this place sells any audio equipment based on an audition is beyond my comprehension.

Trust funds & fooball players.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10898
If not a sign of the apocolypse, surely 1st and inches for the guy selling the wires!
Where did said victim buy the stuff that he has now!?!

Oy!

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 153
All I gots to say is that a fool and his money are easily parted.

I guess he's must have a $20,000 set of speaks to support that wire jewelry he has accesorized them with.

I wonder what's next...Dolce Gabbana and Coach speaker cables - limited Haut Coutre. Ha ha.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1515
Coach cables, huh George? LOL. My wife would ok that particular purchase.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2025
I don't know what speakers the guy has, but I think he mentioned Esoteric somewhere in there.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 155
If it's these, we're taking over $8000/pair - still doesn't justify the wire expense.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/esoteric7/mg20.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 2026
Did I mention the snicker when I told the salesman I had a pair of Beta 20 that I preferred to his dinged-up pair of Studio 20?

Or the statement by the customer directed to the salesman that "it's not about the player then, it's about the cable...right?", the salesman said, knowing I was watching this play out, "Well you've got a good player, so this is going to make it better; like night & day."
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us