Speaker wire coating removal

Bronze Member
Username: 900ss

Post Number: 13
I have some older speaker wire that is about a half inch thick, it makes a big difference when I use it, but I cannot solder new connections to it.It has some sort of anodization or coating that I cannot get off. Is there any one out there with some knowledge in this area.

Brewster

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13005

?

What does this have to do with "Ohms"?

Why do you need to solder anything to this cable if it is working fine as is?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10824
uhhh...brew, if there is a coating on it, how is it supposed to make a tight connection, soldered, crimped or bare wire?

It might be an ohms issue, as the coating makes the resistance value of the wire into integers.

Bronze Member
Username: 900ss

Post Number: 14
Sorry guys the title should be SPEAKER WIRE,to many brewsky's last night while head bangin to the new Metallica CD.
Any way, I'm changing the ends from spades to Bryston banana connectors and prefer to solder the connections but this wire has got some sort of coating that will not take the solder. I would have to sand every strand and that is not gonna happen. One side has a green coating while the other has a clear coat.
The spades were original and were soldered. I've tried acids,paint removers and a ultra sonic cleaner. Could it be coated in cryptonite.
Any ideas????????????????????????????

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10841
Yeah, go to home depot and grab some rip cord.
Or Walmart, and get 25' of outdoor extension cord and use that, that's what I am using.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13010

I don't know what sort of cable you own but it is definitely not "Kryptonite". I suspect you either have an enamelled wire such as magnet wire or, if it is multi-strand, you might have some form of litz wiring.

You can try dipping the cable in acetone, that would remove any enamel with a bit of patience and some gentle rubbing. That would work if the coating is enamel which you should be able to tell by scraping the wire with a sharp knife. Enamel will flake off. You can also buy a solder pot which will melt the enamel - not the best approach but it works.

If this is a litz wire, you have no choice but the remove the insulation one strand at a time.

At this point I tend to agree with Nuck, go to HD and buy a 16AWG extension cord and cut off the plugs. It actually makes a very good speaker cable that is more neutral than many of the expensive pretenders you buy in an audio shop.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 842
uhhh, I third that notion. Walmart extension cord.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10842
BUT...be sure to pay attention to the implimentation, particularly the 3rd wire to the bass.
Go to DIYAudio and have a peek man.

cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us