JVC RX-DP20VBK or ONKYO TX-DS989 Version 2 ?

Bronze Member
Username: Brazilian

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 12
Can you please help me clarify in general which one is a better THX Ultra II receiver considering also its use for SACD and DVD-A ? Onkyo 989 is a older project with dual 24 bit DSP compared to unique 64 bit of JVC. But is JVC a high end ??? Does anybody have a clue ? Both have plenty of power but which one is more musical, detailed and constructed for 7.1 ? I was considering Marantz new SR8400 but I`m afraid it`s 110 WRMS will vanish into 7 channels.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 431
Victor,
Do not worry about the power output on any Marantz receiver. Their power ratings are accurate; even the 5400 puts out more than 100 watts with 5 channels driven. The Onkyo 989 is a very good receiver and the upper level JVC's have gotten excellent reviews but I would have to hear them myself to believe it. Of the three I would go with the Marantz but you didn't say what speaker you will be using so let me know and maybe there are other good alternatives.

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 107
I agree with elitefan regarding the power ratings of their SR*400 range even the older SR*300's had good power ratings. It's only when you go back to the *200 range that their power ratings were not accurate.

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 13
Thank you folks. in fact, I`ll drive a pair of powered subwoofers towers from Boston Acoustics VR970 (old but effective), a full range (up to 80Hz Boston`s VR14 central), a pair of dipole THX Boston for surround , reaching 80Hz,and a pair of Boston`s CR-75 (also good till 80Hz) for Back sorround. All have high sensitivity around 89-91 dB and are rated 8 Ohms. So, I need two outputs for subs, two powered towers, I high crossover set-up (front towers use passive radiator and powered sub) and power to drive 7 speakers with no fear ! Do you see any advantage using a single 32bit DSP chip, Marantz 8400, instead of Onkyo`s 989 and Marantz SR9300 double 24bit chips ? Or even JVC`s 64 bit Texas Chip ? Is it worth it paying extra for THX Ultra II ?

guess
Unregistered guest
Hello,
I have Onkyo 989 receiver. Some how when I hook up the Bose speaker to the receiver I only hear the surround sound speakers and does not hear any thing on the front speakers. The Bose comes in only 5.1 channel, but the receiver produce 7.1 channel. How do I hook it up right that I could hear 7 speakers instead of 5 speakers. Does the DVD player has any thing do with it, because the DVD player is a 5.1 channel
by the way I did program the receiver. Please help. Thanks

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 14
I have just installed my 989 version 2. Check if you have connected the speakers correctly leaving just the surround back without cables as you don`t have the back speakers (the same with me). I a also having 989 similating the back channels from my surround speakers as default. Despite seting the receiver with no back speakers connected, it still open the THX screen to set up the distance between the back speakers ! Also, I just can`t get any sound from the 5.1 (7.1 ?) analogic imput despite setting multichannel input on. Do your DB25 multichannel imput works ?

Unregistered guest
call onkyo integra's help line @ 8002251946 (option 6) they r open 7 days a wk! it seems your dealer should help u! alan, audio video sales and service, corpus christi, tx, 361 8577236

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 17
Just to clarify. I have already bought, installed and programed my TX-DS989ver2. This beast is great ! It takes the very best from my Boston`s VR series speakers. A receiver for years to come !! THX Ultra 2 makes a BIG difference !!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us