Use of Equaliser with Hydrophone

Username: Dolphinquest

Kralendijk, Bonaire Netherlands ...

Post Number: 1
Hi Everyone, I'm totally new to this and it is my first posting, so please accept my apologies if I am doing anything incorrectly.

I am a research scientist involved in understanding Dolphin behaviour and I need to use a hydrophone to expand my research.

I purchased one and set it up but it has raised lots of questions that the supplier wont answer so I need to find a group of people that might point me in the right direction.

I have a number of very simple questions, so I will start to ask them one at a time if this post receives any favourable responses.

Thank you in advance and best Wishes, Ron Sewell, Bonaire

Username: Dolphinquest

Kralendijk, Bonaire Netherlands ...

Post Number: 2
The first thing that I need to understand is as follows:

The hydrophone came with a pre-amp

That allowed me to hook up to powered speakers and listen to sound.

The pre amp was destroyed recently.

I tried hooking the hydrophone head up to a regular audio system and to a computer but could not hear anything but static.

Is it essential to have a pre amp in front of an amplifier?

Why?

Thank you for your comments.

Bronze Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 78
"if you're coming out of a different preamp, the output's already going to be line level. So you shouldn't ever have had the issue"

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2085
Microphones are low-level devices and will need a 'boost' for most pre amps to handle them.

IF, as it sounds, you hooked speakers to your 'preamp', than it WAS NOT a preamp. It was an amp with a microphone preamp IN it.

Do you have a link to the hydrophone?

What frequency range are you interested in? Some hi-fi preamps probably won't go ultrasonic (to humans!) and other considerations apply. If, as I fear, Dolphins make a lot of sounds over 20khz, than you will need something other than the run of the mill stereo gear. If you are limiting yourself to what humans can hear, than perhaps a 't-amp' will do. They are portable and can run off of batteries while driving speakers....usually stereo.
do you want to record? Listen?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us