An Experiment...

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1445
So as some of you guys may have noticed, I've been on a real kick lately swapping my gear around to see what sort of changes/gains I can affect.

Today while my daughter was napping I swapped out the Rotel RB-1070 that was driving my RS6 fronts on my HT system. Instead I used the speaker outs on my Cambridge 540R A/V receiver.

I was expecting to be disappointed. Instead I was rather surprised... The CA has more than enough oomph in 2 channel mode to give the Rotel a run for it's money.

I was never a fan of the sound of the Rotel/Monitor Audio pairing. The CA seems to have attributes that the MA's like better. While having less attack than the Rotel, the CA makes up for it by sounding rather laid back without that slight graininess that I find with the Rotel (at least with MA speakers).

My Rotel is now doing center-channel duty - running bridged at something like 340 watts. Nice... As an aside, briding a Rotel is a pain in the @ss- I had to remove the entire case and move three jumpers that are tucked away in almost impossible to reach places.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7836
Cool beans dude...next time I watch a movie my Yammie will be driving my R5's....yikes!!!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1446
Let's not get too carried away Art.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10802
So I guess you don't need the Rotel amp I had for you to try Dave?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1447
I'd still be interested in trying it out for sure Nuck. I'll tire of the CA/MA combo fast and want to try something else.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1448
Which Rotel is it? It's a 5 channel one, right?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10820
ya mon.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 117
Interesting experiment. That is some sweet power you're sending to the centre. Have you managed to balance the levels out for HT? Sounds like you are itching for something different to power your HT but with the flexability to run those MA's in stereo. The Cambridge is probably working better because it's warmer than the Rotel. Not sure another Rotel will help your situation. Sounds like you need something warm for the MA's.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1903
IMO something warm isn't needed for the MA's. Just something Not bright.lol

David- Out of curiosity alone, have you taken the RS6's downstairs to do a little competition against the Totem's on the Brystons? I wonder which one you would prefer. Interesting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1911
I was kidding about the bright thing.lol.

*cricket cricket cricket*

Just stirring the pot a little. You know me....

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1465
lol... I totally missed this one.

That's a thought Nick. Sometime when I'm home alone and have the time I'll give it a shot and report back.

Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1916
Sweeeeetttttt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us