Athena Asf2, Jbl R90, or Klipsch Sf3

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 17
I am going to purchase either an Onkyo Sr701 or Pioneer Vsx73tx. I have an old set of 4 Infinity Minuette speakers and center channel. I am considering the above receivers with the Infinity speakers I have now or buying one of the above mentioned speakers. Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Richard, first off, i'd do some research on the Panasonic XR-45 reciever. It's getting RAVE reviews from the audiophile world. Then, hook up your new amp to the Infinity's and listen before replacing them. Infinity speakers are generally 4ohms, meaning they are hard to drive. Buy your new amp first.....then, speakers.....IF you feel you still need them.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Your probably alright with the infinity. Sounds like your hanging in best buy with that speaker line up? Listen to the speakers long and hard to all kinds of different music play them hard and I think youll find the SF-3's to be the best(most accurate) . The SF-3 is the RF-3 . Klipsch took the RF-3 off the market and with slightly different drivers made it the flagship of the synergy line. They use woofer cone material as used in the Klipsch legends and an aluminum Tweeter instead of Titanium as in the RF. All specs are identical otherwise. Cabinet is the same. except feet. ( RF is the reference line)

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 41
My Best Buy had the Klipsch SF3's bi-amp'd. Turn the speaker around and check for it. If so, ask them to change it back so you can fairly compare them to the Athena AS-F2's. I though they sounded very similar. I went back and forth about 20 times and finally chose the Athenas. I though the sound was more open and airy.

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 51
Thanks for the posts! I have actually turned my attention to another brand. I just purchased some Wharfedale speakers that I should have tommorow. In reading reviews, these speakers seem like a great buy. I was able to get a set of Diamond 8.3 fronts, 8.1 surrounds, and Diamond 8 center all for $550 delivered new. I hope they sound good, but I will surely be posting my results on this forum.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
How were the speakers bi amped at best buy. They use sony rec. or some other junk rec. Bi Wired yes, but bi amped??? I would say they were bi wired wich theres no difference in sound. The stereo eq. used at best buy does not bring out the best in any speaker used their. Your athneas would be much more impressive with better Equiptment, as well as the other speakers their, beleive me!

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 42
Oh...I just assumed they were bi-amping those Klipsch...the way they were wired. I couldn't figure any other reason. The speakers do have the capability. You just remove a strap between posts.
The Athenas have just two posts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us