HK vs. Rotel Sound

Username: Kdfrky

Post Number: 3
Currently have an HK AVR85 but thinking of moving to Rotel. I've read posts about different sound characteristics of different brands (e.g. warm, neutral, harsh, etc.)

How would you describe the HK sound vs the Rotel sound? I'll be hooking them up to NHT 2.5i's which seem to be very transparent. Currently like the match with HK but thinking of upgrading due to some technical probs with the HK. Have heard much good about Rotel and prefer a transparent, non-colored sound. Also, not interested in AV receiver at this time - listening to music is top priority.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 245
H/K and Rotel are quite close, both are full and warm with good dynamics, and I think the biggest difference is in the extra details the Rotels will give when compared to H/Ks.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 410
i would have to pretty much agree with landroval
but with the rotel being a little closer to neutrel than warm.

Bronze Member
Username: Drumsuck

St. johns, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 15
go with an HK 3480. you won't regret it, if you want a good sound for music listening. it is between warm and neutral, for sure, but i think it's worth trying out.

Bronze Member
Username: Drumsuck

St. johns, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 17
also consider a cambridge audio azur 640a in the same price range with a similar sound.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 255
And NAD C352.

Unregistered guest
I have same dilemna. Currently have HK AVR225 (used to have AVR85 and also got rid of because of technical problems). I too am giving a close look at Rotel....and have the same question about their general sonic signature compared to othe HK. This thread is helpful. Some have said that Rotel is a little bit bright - but some say that of HK. So maybe they DO sound alike?! My Current AVR225 has 24/192 onboard DAC's so am getting the benefit of that (or believe that I am anyway!). I'm worried that NAD will sound a little too warm and rolled-off on the highs. My budget is up to $2500-so any suggestions would be welcomed. I'd prefer to spend far less-but don't want to buy new [Rotel or anything at the price] and end up with little or no improvement. I use a NHT subwoofer with a 250w Sunfire internal amplifier so that takes some load off the amp.

Unregistered guest
Be careful with rotel. They have quite a few quality control issues. I was 90 percent certain I was going to buy a Rotel until I read some post from the club rotel site.

Some of the not so rare problems that usually come up on that site.

1. Humming sound while operating
2. Problems with certain channels being unclear
3. Ground loop problems
4. Upgrade problems

I also have an HK and have not heard of many people with problems like this right out of the box.
I will say that the Rotel sound is much better. More open, neutral and better detailed. I have decided on a Yamaha rx-v2400 because I want the surround options, but I would chose the HK3480 for stereo only, just for peace of mind.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 529
BLEU the thing is though if you go onto any manufacturers
forum you will find plenty of issues.

i was on the parasound forums before i bought one
of their amps and almost didn't because of what
i read.

but then i went onto other manufacturers sites and
found the same.

so you have to be careful what you dismiss and
be able to take some things you find with a grain
of salt while weeding through some of the bad things
you read.

Bronze Member
Username: Kdfrky

Post Number: 16
Trying out a NAD C270 (using my C740 as a pre).

How long does break in take? What's the best way? I've left the unit since I got it and leave music playing while at work and while out (on for about 40 hours now, music for about 15).

I've noticed the difference. Definitely more open and better separation. Not sure if I "like" it better or not though. Hoping break in will help. My early opinion is that the HK sound while less sophisticated was more listenable at moderately high volumes - not as much separation but sounded more coherent -- more like a song if that makes sense.

Thoughts on the B&K sound?

Username: Bleu_allen

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 1
I have heard that B&K's sound for the price is usually overated. No personal experience though.

Typically depth and height of soundstage (separation) is one of the benefits of separate components or upper end receivers. I don't think there are many receivers under $1000.00 that have a nice, open detailed sound. Rotel's RX 1050 stereo receiver does for a list price of around $800. The street price would probably be around $100.00 less.

Stereo only receivers are definately taking a back seat to A/v receivers right now though. I don't think there are many mass market companies selling many stereo only receivers right now (Denon, Yamaha, Sony). I, like you, take my two channel music seriously and want great sound over bells and whistles.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us