Speaker under 1K

Username: Xtremis

Post Number: 1
I have a budget of 1K for me front speaker.

Actualy i have the choice of

B&W 685 Base is loud trebel and mid are low
Focal 706V Trebel and mid are to high
Kef IQ7 No listen

Wich of them are the most balanced speaker epending on your opinion
Did y forgot some model in this range.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1879
Lots of models in that range. Don't buy the B&W's and Focal's if you already heard them and didn't like them.

What brands do you have local access to?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7804
NHT Classic 3's may suit your fancy.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 402
ascend acoustics sierra 1, paradigm studio 20, onix ref 1, polk lsi-9, Era D-5, Totem rainmaker, Swan D2.1 SE, PSB imagine B.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 98
The Kef iQ7 has got a very clear sound to it but does want for bass - you will need to use their matching sub with it but then they sound quite good.
Some of the suggestions are good but it would be helpful to people making suggestions if you could provide details on the model/brand of amplifier you will be using, the source (CD, DVD), and what you will be listening to. Is it for music or movies? If music, what type of music - jazz, rock, classical, dance etc.? Let us know and people will drop you some more specific suggestions.
All the best!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1884
The Studio 20's are one of my fav in that price range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1885
I got the RS6's for a grand taxes in. :-) may be a bit harder for some to talk the dealer into that.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1775
As much as I love all these speakers,you can order the Infinity Classia C336 for $949 plus $89 shipping A real steal if there ever was 1,they normally retail for $1798,and they perform far beyond that,and it gives you room to build a system around them.You can actually choose a amp on Quality instead of Quanity they are 91db's,nd are beautifly built,I recomend them with both of my arms and legs,a true highend speaker,and the best speaker I have ever had and everyone on here knows I have a ton of speakers.You can get them from the TheAudioSource,go to their ebay website they are a Infinity authorized dealer shipping took 2 days for me.Another speaker I really like is Monitor Audio RS6,the other I would recomend would be the DCM TFE-200 they are a true fullrange speaker.And then my 2 standmounters that play like floorstanders in the bass Swan D2.1SE and the Era Design D5,good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3204
Mathieu

Of the three you mention I would choose the Focals. Your mind can compensate for bass when there is too little, but you can't compensate for it when there is too much.

Question: are there any other brands in your area? Where are you?

Silver Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 217
forgive my possible stupidity but...

How in the world are people in "hi-fi" still using Polk speakers?

Aren't Polk just about on the same level as Bose?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10788
No way Pat, Bose make the REAL money!

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1198
Lol nuck..

As an aside, I have spent more time on ecoustics using my blackberry as of late than on my computer... Just shows I can never really stay away lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7806
There was a well regarded polk bookshelf speaker just a few years ago. I don't remember the model but is was reviewed well with Stereophile.

When my wife's grandaughter was down for a visit I put my Totem's in my office and plopped the ole' Monitor 5jr's on the stands and listened to them for a couple of days...not great but I've heard worse.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10789
Good luck with your thumbs, GRC!

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1967
Although I haven't heard them, rumor is these Infinity Classia 336 are a hard to beat deal in the sub-$1K category:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-CLASSIA-C336-CHERRY-FLOORSTANDING-PAIR-NEW-949_W0QQ itemZ140265442970QQihZ004QQcategoryZ3276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

P.S. They're available in black too (I checked).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7809
Rega R3's are a wonderfully organic sounding speaker for less than 1K.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1968
This thread can go on forever, so what the heck; another speaker that has caught my eye is the AV123 X-Statik (I HATE the name), but it's a VERY attractive Open-Baffle design. I haven't heard this one either, but I'd really like to.

http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/produc t_id,266/category_id,21/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/

Gold Member

Post Number: 1969
Upload

Username: Xtremis

Post Number: 2
Sorry for ma late response

I listen alternative, rock, jaz and instrumental musique. I came from Québec

I have a old Denon AVR.

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 123
to summarize this thread - if you want to save some bucks go for the monitor audio rs6. if not the infinity classica c336

Username: Swanny76109

Fort worth, Tx Usa

Post Number: 2
How about the Von Schweikert VR1? I just got a pair a couple days ago. They are still breaking in but oh boy are they a wonderfully smooth and musical monitor. Great WAF too. Incredibly smooth and accurate midrange, decent bass to around 40 Hz, and imaging and soundstage that is much bigger than seems possible with this size speaker. Albert really understands music and his crossover is smooth as silk and really effective at giving you a wide sweet spot in the room. They are really easy to drive and my 100 wpc Forte amp sings with these babies. I got a demo pair with 10 yr warranty for 650 shipped. Hard to believe the value. I also own a set of NHT Classic Threes in my HT setup. I think I would rather have a set of VR1s all around if I could do it all over again. But I can enjoy both!

Username: Pennypincher

Post Number: 1
Another suggestion for ya. I bought infinity's midlevel speaker system "Primus" off of Harmon Audio E-Bay outlet store-
http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio. Although the speakers are not as fancy as their top-of-line Classica series, they are a heck of a lot cheaper. And, they have almost the same componets. They are factory returns, but they arrived in perfect condition direct from the factory (not a scratch or blemish and with full factory warranty). Using Ebay's bidding system, I averaged $120.00 for 4 primus P362 front/rear speakers and PC350 center channel. The subwoofer PS212 was $235.00. All prices quoted included taxes and shipping.

These are great speakers! Read the reviews and if you can listen for your self. Sure, there are better speakers out there. But for the price?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us