Speaker Upgrade (Future Planning)

Bronze Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 29
I currently have Klipsch Rf10 with a Yamaha RXv459. I bought it based upon listening, store employee input (local hi fi), and price (prob biggest factor). I really do enjoy the sound compared to Paradigm monitor 7's (other option but cost too much at time). I am probably about 85% music, 15% movies/tv. What kind of options should I look at for speakers that excel for music. I would get a stereo system for sure, as well. Not sure of exact budget, as I currently am poor. I'd want something mid range though I think. Maybe 3-5 grand at most. Likely lower. I don't think i'd ever get into really high end stuff, because I prob won't notice a diff. (not amazing at hearing differences). I'd also prob use a DAC as the source. I own a ton of cd's but they are secondary for me. Flac's first for convenience and variety. I have a few shops around me (Natural Sound, Kawartha TV and Stereo, and a store in Whitby). Can anyone give me some detailed advice and pointer into what to look into, what I might like in listening, how to narrow things down, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I also have a Paradigm DSP3100 sub. I currently use a Creative External USB sound card for FLAC's from a dedicated machine I built.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1433
Are you looking to upgrade the receiver as well as the speakers?

You won't find a lot of guys/gals on this forum that are fans of the Klipsch/Yamaha pairing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Yeah I know. I've read a lot about it since I bought it. I'd ideally like to go to some kind of separates setup (amp+whatever) or integrated amp or something. I do enjoy the klipsch sound, but that's all I've ever owned. These ones now and a pair of the klipsch 4.1 computer speakers. I'm not really sure how to judge "bright" but I do know that I get headaches listening to the music sometimes. That may just be the sheer volume no matter what speaker it is though. It's about -15 on the receiver volume max. I'd just like to see what kind of better sound I can get in to. Something that isn't like audiophile high end stuff, but a really solid setup for the 2-3 grand, maybe a bit more. Something that would last me a long time.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1435
Getting a headache from listening music is definitely not what we're aiming for here. A good system is one that you can listen to for hours with no fatigue at all. In fact, it should be addictive. I know when I'm listening to my 2 channel system, I find it hard to turn it off.

That being said, if you have a budget of 2-3k you can set up a really nice 2 channel system for music. Especially if you go used.

Since you're a fellow Canuck, start looking on Canuck Audio Mart for stuff. Perhaps a good integrated amp, some half decent speakers and a DAC (since you already have you CD collection FLAC-ed - is that a word?).

After visiting this forum for a bit you'll get a good idea of what is considered "good" amps and speakers here. And the info usually bang-on.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1894
I think I am on Canuck Audio Mart every day, even if I am not looking to buy.lol I love it.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1437
It's like the dude equivalent of window-shopping for shoes.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1896
LOL!!!! Exactly!

LOL!!! thats perfect.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
COuld anyone get into some recommendations for pairings or what speakers could be good for music. One hint for what inspires me for live music is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fEDimkGo0E

I saw Battles live in a small club in Toronto and it kicked my @ss. The intricate sounds of the instruments wound together, with the crushing kick drum of the drummer. That guy beat the living he.ll out of his drums. I listen to a lot of post rock/neo-classical (for lack of better terms). Even some real classical. Jazz, rap, combinations of the two, Anticon bands, etc. Are there speakers that are great for all kinds of music. I notice a lot of you have some specific tastes in genres when looking for speakers. I'm just looking for some more guidance for brands and pairings.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Also, after browsing CAM a bit.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/99342-nad_c372_integrated_amplifier/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/99847-zhaolu_d25c_dac__headphone_amp_with _unity_power_cable/

are these things worthwile? I prob won't buy them, but i was looking at that exact NAD int. amp because it was stereo and I heard NAD makes quality products for a relatively budget price. Would these work with Klipsch RF-10 for the time being? Am I a complete idiot?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
another question. What about the sub :-( I neglected that completely. Do i need something else to get a sub in there? Will I need to look into something other thsn stereo integrated amp?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us